Hardcore fishing trip...12/04/02 - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2002, 11:37 PM
Secret:Time on the water

Hardcore fishing trip...12/04/02

Well I got a call on Monday from my friend Rick saying he was back from Thanksgiving Vacation up north and he was going to bring the boat over to Flagship Marina in the Housie this week and wanted me to follow him over in my truck and bring him back. Well he called me up last night and asked if I wanted to do it today and I said sure, but said to him lets wait and see what the wind is going to do. Called me this morning and we decided to go for it! Got out of the ice blocked harbor around 10:30 and headed towards the river, decided to bring a rod just in case we wanted to have one more shot at some fish, on the way over we decided to make a run out to Middle Ground and try for some blackfish. Got out there and anchored up, water was tolerable and he has an enclosure so we fished for about 1.5 hrs. and got nothing. We pulled the hook and rode around a bit trying to mark some fish then decided to go over to the South Rip and lo and behold the birds were working hard all along the rip. Could see fish breaking occassionally and started making drifts across the rip. Hooked up first drift 25" or so schoolie on a Wild Eye, big and fat! We did this for the rest of the day until it started getting dark. I lost count how many fish we caught but suffice it to say we hammered them good! Probably got somewhere in the neighborhood of 50-60 fish between the 2 of us. Biggest going to Ricky @ 33" 12lbs. or so. We both kept one fish each. This was the first fish I have kept all year and it was a fat 25" fish that had 2 whole Butterfish in his belly when cleaned tonight. Iwill tell you all I don't like bass that much but I wanted to eat one for dinner and this fish was outstanding, I broiled it with butter, S&P, paprika, and some parsley flakes both sides. Really a great dinner and the wife loved it and the fact that I cooked dinner Great day even if it was only in the 20's and windy, and a great last trip out on the water for 2002!! What a surprise to see all of those birds and fish at this time of the year out in the middle of the sound, and there was alot of those butterfish on the surface fleeing for their lives, I thought they were peanut bunker until I cleaned that fish, can't get any fresher than this one it was still moving when I cleaned him on the kitchen counter (wife didn't like that too much and neither did I for that matter) but it tasted so good!!!
Tightlines,
Mike M.
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2002, 08:31 AM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick
Mike,
Hardcore is a perfect description. You've had a great season from the reports down there! Plenty to make the White Winter fly by. Thanks for making my mind wander from work once again...as well as my taste buds!

Nick

(salivating smilie)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2002, 08:38 AM

What's the size limit on Stripers there?

Last edited by biggstriper; 12-05-2002 at 09:30 AM.
Old 12-05-2002, 09:02 AM

Hard Core

Never underestimate the winter fishery! Pleanty of fish hang out all year. May be heading down to Island Beach NJ this weekend for some PIGS. My buddy down there called and said there is pleanty of action down there. I will be keeping an eye on the weather to see just how bad this storm stirs things up.
Old 12-05-2002, 09:28 AM

You can monitor the surf conditions by looking at the surf cam that's on StriperSurf.com. It looks like a real rough Nor'easter right now.
Old 12-05-2002, 09:38 AM
Fly chucker

Connecticut has a slot for stripers. They can be kept if between 22" and 28", or over 40".
Old 12-05-2002, 12:54 PM
Flats Rat

You can rely on Connecticut to come up with the most complex piece of legislation - its a core competency of ours

Great stuff Mike - a grand way to wind up the season.
Old 12-05-2002, 01:56 PM
Secret:Time on the water

Thanks everyone, it was one of those last minute deals and I decided after my buddy Rick kept one bass that I had not eaten one in about 5-6 years so I said to him if I get one more fish in the slot I am going to bring it home for dinner tonight. Well next drift and boom 25" fish in the boat. I hate to kill anything but when you have to eat, you get the picture. First bass I have killed and kept for a long time. The limit in CT. is ! Fish 24-32" and 1 Fish @ 40"+ per day per man. Pretty cold day but I enjoyed myself completely and had a great time and I even stayed warm most of the day. Looking outside right now with the snow just falling by the 1/2 ft. an hour it was a good thing I got out yesterday.

Tightlines,
Mike M.

I was wrong here are the correct CT. 2002 RegsCT. 2002 REGS.

Last edited by Striper; 12-05-2002 at 01:58 PM.
Old 12-05-2002, 06:05 PM
_

Great report Mike! Wow, the striper regs in CT are even more bizarre than I thought. I knew about the slot limit, but had no idea that the party/charter boat limit is entirely different. Makes no sense whatsoever!

Q
Old 12-06-2002, 03:13 PM

Nothing wrong with eating fresh fish from the saltwater at all. I'm used to the size limits being at least 28 inches, that's all. I kept one fish for my self and gave one to a friend the next day a couple of weeks ago.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.