Fish & Fly Magazine - Any subscribers here? - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2002, 02:07 PM
_

Fish & Fly Magazine - Any subscribers here?

I received a complimentary copy of Fish & Fly Magazine in the mail (Autumn 2002 issue). It has a great article by Bob Veverka about fishing for false albacore and a very interesting article/biography about Joan Wulff - what an amazing person! I guess the last issue had an article about the Housatonic River. I wish they had sent me a copy of that issue!

It looks like an excellent magazine and I'm thinking of subscribing. Just wondering if it's always this good and whether they have plenty of articles about fishing in the Northeast US.

Q
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2002, 02:35 PM

I was sent that issue as well, and have bought other issues in the past. It reminds me of the Amato magazines which we rarely see on the east coast. I've been cutting back on the # of magazines or I'd have a subscription. Tonight I'll check for the article on the Housy.
Old 12-03-2002, 03:46 PM

Cut back on my subscriptions also, just buy the magazines I am interested in now at Borders, Noble, and my local fly shop. I am due for a Borders trip and to see what the Jan/Feb magazines have to offer. If it has anything on steelhead I ususually can't resist buying it.

I swear this steelhead thing is a curse some times. Others will know what I am talking about. It really is a cult following type game fish.
Old 12-03-2002, 03:53 PM

Thumbs down

Without question the worst rag on the market. Got a sub for Christmas last year and had it cancelled after two issues. It is the ultimate exploitation of fly fishing one could ever read. If you care about fly fishing please do not give that publisher even a nickels worth of your hard earned money.
Old 12-03-2002, 04:05 PM
Fluff

Now tell us how you really feel...

I got that comp copy in the mail also; thought I'd give it a whirl. OC, what's your experience before I spend my money? - worst rag doesn't have enough legs without a more detailed explanation of your disappointment. TIA.
Old 12-04-2002, 05:50 AM

Talking

Bear's Den in Taunton has a magazine rack in the foyer where you can get old magazine to check out before you subscribe. A nice service provided by a great flyshop. FishHawk
Old 12-04-2002, 09:38 AM

Actually I think I find just as good or more fly fishing information with my internet searches now, there is so much online. I only buy a magazine if there is a specific technical article I want.
Old 12-04-2002, 07:33 PM

Quentin

I subscribe to and enjoy Fish & Fly magazine.
Old 12-05-2002, 12:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to beau purvis
i also get that mag. i liked it better when it was large format and wild steelhead and salmon only. seems less commercial than others to me.my friends that write for it certainly arent very commercial! at least it doesnt seem that a persons AKA would be 'steelhead bum" if he were commercialy motivated.they are too good at what they do to get that part that wrong!!!!!!
Beau
Old 12-05-2002, 06:50 PM
_

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm still not sure if I'll get the subscription. Maybe I'll put it on my Christmas list and see what happens. I can also check the local library to see if they carry it (doubtful) and maybe I can review some of the past issues. Too bad I don't live closer to the Bear's Den -- that's a great service.

Q
Old 12-06-2002, 11:19 AM

Unhappy

DFix,
Sorry about not responding sooner, jury duty called for a few days.

Don't know if you have ever had a wonderful place you fish destroyed by over crowding or have a wonderful stream, pond or beach that you hope will stay the way it is, at least within reason.

This one magazine is the slickest fly rag I've read yet. The articles on destinations are devistating to locals who fish their home waters. If you read a few issues of this mag you will find that in all likely hood that the articles were sponsored by advertisers who's ads are abundent throughout the article. These ads do not come from local mom and pop operations but from slick fanncy lodges and destination adventure travel agencies with big money backing. These lodges pay their local help minum wages, that's if they even use locals, their guides on the most part are not from the region and take their money elsewhere when the seasons over. Just look at all the Washington State guides working the summer season for Alaskan lodges. It apears to me that it's not some outdoor writter that writes an article about his home water and sends it it in to the mag in hopes it's published. It looks to me that it's a sponsor hiring some hack writter who will get payed just enough to to move on and write about someone elses home waters for a few bucks, some free fly fishing and a power boost to his fly fishing recognition ego.

Some will argue that many of the articles are about places already well fished. Many of the articles are but do these places need any more pressure than they already have? Fly & Fish did an article on the Missouri River recently and the author of the article to his credit did mention that it was over crowded and that the locals were getting nasty to outsiders. So why did he even write about it if his intentions were to increase the amount of people fishing it?

Greed is the driving factor behind all of these magazines. When are we the fly fishermen and women going to realize that we got into fly fishing for the tranquility and beauty of the art of fly fishing. When a destination article brings thousands of non local fly fishers to an area each season most tranquility is lost not only for for the local fishermen who love their local fishing as you love yours but the fishermen who payed the big bucks and had everything done for him even the idea of where to go finds no tranquility just an expensive, everything done for him vacation, (Frontier Diseney Land).

What has happened to us the fly fishermen? We were once an independent breed of fishers. We spent many a cold winter night looking at a world atlas wondering if some river, flat or lake had fish in it and what type. We planed our fishing trips with our own brain power our own soul and it became an adventure wether you fished 5 hours from home or 10,000 miles from home. We have on the most part lost that sense of adventure and conformed to mass marketing of an art form now turned a competitive sport.

Fly & Fish magazine in my opinion brings out the very worst in what fly fishing has become. One big mass marketing campain.
OC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.