Monomoy 7-4 - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2001, 09:18 AM

Monomoy 7-4

Mike and I made a dawn run to the Monomoy area after a night on the dark side looking for shark. No shark but we had some seriously good fishing for bass in a shallow channel on a rising tide. I got my first keeper on a fly swap fly, in fact I got multiple keepers on that fly with the biggest at 36”. Mike had the hot rod today with 6 – 10 keepers (he didn’t measure them all) and he started us off with his biggest ever – 36”. The fly of choice was a sand eel pattern – I had a 4” clouser gray bottom and olive top with silver flash and Mike was using a 6” Jelly Belly type.

The sea was pretty choppy but we decided to check out the shoals off S.Monomoy. After a somewhat rough ride we drifted and blind casted to apparently nothing. We were seeing no fish, no bait, and just enough weed to be annoying. We started the engine and started putting out when Mike saw a swirl. “Was that a fish?” he says. Another swirl – “That was definitely a fish and it was big!” We killed the engine and started drifting through huge swirls left by spooked fish. Now we were completely alone out there in rough conditions and these fish were spooking 50 to 60 feet out. I can’t even guarantee they were stripers only that they were 3 – 4 feet long. We started calling them ghost fish because during that whole drift we only got a glimpse of 4 – 6 actual fish all the rest were just swirls on the surface. Well we never hooked up and didn’t find them again with a second drift so being exhausted and not enjoying the bouncy ride we called it a day.

Could those big fish have been anything other than stripers? I think I saw a black dot on the tail of one of them. As I said, we never got a real good look at them.

Gregg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2001, 09:59 AM

I forgot to mention that the same fly swap fly fooled two terns. Luckily they just picked it up and flew with it a bit and didn't get hooked. I even got a striper on one of the retrieves after the bird dropped it. I'd like to think it was just repositioning it for me.

Gregg
Old 07-05-2001, 12:01 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Hey guys, if it's the spot I called to tell you about then I envy you in a big way! If it's not then my phone is free }>

The ability to access Monomoy outside of shuttle hours is a huge benefit. I had similar multi-cow results sight fishing Saturday afternoon, all by myself not even the seals bugging me - but had to leave some of the best sight fishing I ever had to catch the ferry.

Glad to hear you guys had a banner day.

Juro

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.