Hair Wing Salmon/Steelhead Fly Swap - Page 3 - Fly Fishing Forum
Classic Atlantic Salmon No pursuit rivals salmon rivers, flies & legacy

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 12-06-2002, 03:30 PM

Malcolm

Thanks for the history, perhaps as part of the hair wing swap we should have each tyer provide the history of the fly they tied if the fly is one of the established classics.

Lets see we have 8 announced participants doing the following patterns:

Garry Dog (Willie Gunn),
Thunder & Lighting (Nbrandon),
Mcneeses Pale Peril (Flytyer)
Smolt, Fred Evans, Steelheader69, Pmflyfisher and Wrke patterns are to be determined/announced. Wrke good luck on finding the history on that russian AS pattern.

Looking for two more participants to make the 10.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2002, 03:46 PM

I fish the Miramichi River for atlantic salmon on New Brunswick more than any other river. That river is tannin stained, I.e. brown rather than green, yet the most successful flies in the Summer usually have a sugnificant amount of green in them -- the ubiquitous "Green Machine", the "Green Widow", the "Black Bear Green Butt" to list just three examples. In the Fall the river is still tannin stained, but the most successful flies are predominantly orange, copper, yellow, or red -- the "Copper Killer", the "Chief", the "LT Special". Maybe its the color of the leaves. Ah, the mysteries of life!
Old 12-06-2002, 03:55 PM
Bass Assassin

If you're keen on letting me use "Mallard hair", then i'll tie the T&L. Otherwise i'll tie the Cascade. Both are great patterns.

Is there a set hook size?

Neil
Old 12-06-2002, 04:10 PM

I propose a size 4 or 6 in an upturned classic salmon hook of the tyers choice.

Hows that ?

Otherwise lets do size 2 since I have about 150 of them yet to use.
Old 12-06-2002, 04:28 PM

PM,

If it all right with you, I would like to change the fly that I will tie for the Swap to the "Green Widow". Its a good atlantic salmon fly and, based on its shape, might be good for western steelhead as well. Even more important is that I have a good story associated with that fly.

Regards,

Charles
Old 12-07-2002, 09:30 PM

Charles,

No problem, and green is a great color for steelhead flies in the GL and PNW. Never forget in 1986 I was on business in Vancouver, BC stopped at Ruddicks fly shop in Burnaby several times the three weeks I was there. Got to fish only one day for steelhead but I showed the owner and one of the guides my great lakes fly walletts and I can still remember the look in their eyes when they saw all of the chartreuse (fluor green) colored flies. In their fly cases they had none, all were the traditional red, orange, purple, black that pervaded the PNW flies at that time. They went out and started trying green.

Hal

Last edited by pmflyfisher; 12-07-2002 at 09:34 PM.
Old 12-08-2002, 04:13 PM

Hal
count me in.
I'll be doing Willie gunns if I can get some size 2 hooks

Ashley
Old 12-09-2002, 05:23 AM

If you're still looking for a tenth participant I'll join the fly swap, just to ensure full representation from this side of the Atlantic! I'll tie more or less anything you like, but was thinking about a Scandinavian-style post-winged fly tied with arctic fox (as shown in last month's Flyfishing and Flytying magazine, if anyone reads that). It seems to me that you guys don't use Arctic fox much, which is surprising, as it's as fantastic material. Assume you want single hooks?

Neil, on the subject of fly colours for different waters, I've always understood that the Green Highlander was developed for use in rivers carrying a bit of snow-melt (ie green tinge). This might explain its popularity in Norway. Russia and to some extent the rivers of the very north of Scotland (Helmsdale, Brora etc), but its limited effectiveness elsewhere. I have an aversion to it, but this is just prejudice, as I've never given it a fair trial!

Charlie
Old 12-09-2002, 07:44 AM

Flt Swap Closed - 10 Participants Reached

Okay we have ten participants.

Will send out the instructions this week.

Gardener

Yes I bought that magazine this week. Saw the article on Arctic Fox looks like great material. Not sure if we get it here in the states though. At least my local fly shops do not seem to ever stock it. Would love to see one of those flys.

Tie your fly on a size 2, 4, or 6 hook.

Tie 11 flys one for each participant and one extra for the fly meister (Pmflyfisher)

More to come

Best

Hal
Old 12-09-2002, 10:05 AM

In the Chicago area, I believe Arctic Fox is available at Trout & Grouse in Northfield, as well as at Fly & Filed in Glen Ellyn. I have never used it, but it looks interesting.
Old 12-09-2002, 11:18 AM

Smolt,

Thanks I used to shop a lot at Fly and Field and then the owner changed so I now go to One More Cast - Country Side for just about all of my fly tying material. Been meaning to stop in Fly and Field again though.

PM
Old 12-09-2002, 11:19 AM

Is anybody going to tie on doubles ?

I was thinking of doing that, have not tied those in a long time.
Old 12-09-2002, 11:33 AM

I tie virtually all the flies I use to fish for atlantic salmon on double hooks. I can tie on doubles if that is preferred. If anyone who wants their fly tied on a double posts that preference, I will tie doubles for those persons and singles for those who do not post. Personally, I prefer that my flies be tied on doubles if that is something the other tyers are willing to do. So long as we are listing preferences, I also prefer flies tied on size 6 hooks or smaller.
Old 12-09-2002, 11:57 AM
Bass Assassin

Smolt,

Make mine a double. Har har har.

Neil
Old 12-09-2002, 12:34 PM

Hal, I'd be happy to tie doubles for anyone, and/or to receive them in return - I normally prefer to use them - but it's no big deal either way. I was under the impression that singles were the norm over there, though. I can also tie whatever size anyone wants, but I'm conscious that if we all start ordering 'off menu' it'll make a lot more work for you when dispatching. It's up to you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.