Anyone who has fished Patagonia's Rio Gallego? - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2002, 02:27 PM
Hooked on Salmon

Anyone who has fished Patagonia's Rio Gallego?

Hello,

I am going down to Rio Gallego to do the field work for some angling maps, the last week of January next year. It would be great to hear about fly patterns from those of you that have fished for searun browns down there. I hear lots lots about Girdle Bugs and Wooly Buggers, but there must be more to it?

"Tight lines"

Per Stadigh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2002, 10:38 AM

An excellent conection for this area would be Diego H. Rabin and his representative web site : www.fishingargentina.com.

You are indeed a very fortunate man !!!

I have several friends that have fished these waters....

Bob Quigley in particular....... Bob is a long time friend of Diego, and they have fished the waters of Chile and Argentina for over 30 years.

I have yet to fish there, But OHHHHH some day !!!

The slide shows that Quigley returns with from Chile and Argentina are alone enough to make the blood race !!!

I can also connect you directly to Bob Quigley if you wish. He can tie whatever patterns you will need.

Take Care.......Bob Meiser
Old 12-03-2002, 03:11 PM

There was a fly shop owner here in Chicago who was an Argentianian who went back each year in January/February. He would show me the pictures of the big browns, rainbows, steelhead he took..

Looked great, some bigger rivers with wind, good opportunity to use the spey rod.

If I remember right they were using streamers and nymphs for the sea run brown fishing.

Good luck and tell us about the results and experience etc...
Old 12-04-2002, 03:51 PM
Hooked on Salmon

Bob,
Thanks a lot for your great help. I am already in correspondence with the chaps behing that web page. Thay have a big heart for fishing and I hope to don a few pints in their company on the way out.
If you can mail me your friends e-mail adress, that would be wonderful.
I am getting as excited to do this trip as my 5 year daughter is in front of the upcoming X-mas!!
There are two rods yet to place - anyone who is keen to join in, just e-mail me. I think this trip will be a real winner!
"Tight lines!"
Per
per.stadigh@telia.com

PS. Thanks for your kind words too, pmf!DS
Old 12-05-2002, 06:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to beau purvis
searun browns

i fished the rio grande 3 yrs ago. i tied some small,bunnie leechs. black for the low light,light brown and olive for full light. brown hackle,jungle cock eyes. send me your address and i will send you a little package of leftovers from my trip, mostly small nymph types ,peacock herl bodies,brown heads,etc. where we were ,we were encouraged to strip after the cast settled for a few feet. also had a great night of 20 rises on skated mudlers and had the best luck with a little black moose turd with white calf tail front and tail.i will try to answer any other ?'s if you have any.
Beau
Old 12-05-2002, 09:50 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Per -

I will go someday too, no idea when but it is a dream of mine to go there.

As for flies, based on what I have read I would have confidence in swimming bunny rats and matuka rats in front of their gnarly jaws:

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/exper...yrat/index.htm

Probably would try mostly black, natural rabbit (for scuplin imitation), purple for attraction, etc.

Beau's notes on skating them up sure got my blood pumping too!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.