Flounder Around Fly - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Striper (etc) Flies Tricks of the trade

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2002, 09:46 AM
President of CAC

Flounder Around Fly

I woke up last night around 2 and it came to me...Mallard flank feathers... The color and texture not to meantion the tiny lines... so this is my first attempt at the Flounder fly with the Crab Apple concept. Marabou tail with the mallard overhanging for fins... flutter movement is atleast maintained with that material... not sure yet... maybe they should be smaller and I am concerned about the stiffness of the body as a practical matter. Anyway...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc01203.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	1071  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2002, 10:39 AM
President of CAC

I realized that the photo really does not show the color.. I have a dark brown foam and will do one with a light brown foam as well to vary the color. The spots are actually brown. Placed it uder a more direct light...this is better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc01204.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	1072  
Old 12-01-2002, 11:47 AM
Flats Rat

Brilliant John!

One benefit of leaving the fibres long is that they will move in the current and create the illusion of something alive when the fly is resting on the bottom.

Expect big bass to do head-stands on this one
Old 12-01-2002, 12:29 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

That's gonna be tough to beat! As far as stiffness, that accidental flounder I referred to earlier was also epoxy based and the stripers didn't care. I don't think stiffness is necessarily a bad thing as long as it can achieve the right presentation.

My entry will take a while, I have some high priority website work on the table, but let's definitely get the contestants together for a vote at the next NE fly show.
Old 12-02-2002, 08:23 AM

John - love it. A great addition to the crabapple series.

I wonder if you could use latex or the foam disks used for crab bodies for a more flexible, lifelike body?

Dave
Old 12-02-2002, 08:50 AM

Cool pattern John.
Old 12-02-2002, 05:58 PM

Arrow

STRIBLUE, nice job, Ill even give you a better body color see that you like feathers try GINI FOWEL they have LITTLE WHITE DOTS ON THEM to, get one to fit on top an coat it, THATS IT no MORE HINTS!
"GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN"
Old 12-02-2002, 06:03 PM

O.K. noe more HINT don't put the weight dumbell eyes on the front, GET SOME GUMMY LEAD an coat the bottom. that way it wont brop FACE FIRST, it will drift SIDE TO SIDE naturaly to the sand. thas it NO NO NO MORE tips
your on your own.
'GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN"
Old 12-02-2002, 06:48 PM
President of CAC

Thanks Rich.... I had tied one tonight which was about half the size with tan foam instead to make it somewhat lighter in color and had thought about weight only I coiled some lead wire around the whole shank. You can't stop giving me tips. By the way, I have been trading e-mails with Bob Veverka .
Old 12-03-2002, 09:33 AM

Holy smokes striblue....that is awesome!!!!!

John
Old 12-03-2002, 09:39 AM
President of CAC

Thank's everyone for your positive comments... the danger here is that it only encourages me , as it should I guess... I will have a variety of these at the show. I would like to do a smaller one and will include the weighting as Salty has suggested. I will also post plain cut Crab carapaces to show the difference between the Brown, green and blue crab
Old 12-03-2002, 02:52 PM

John,

Nice ties, both your Flounder Fly and your brown and green crabs. Suggest you continue to weight at least some of your crabs with the barbells at the front end as in your original as this causes the crab to dive at an angle and get down faster, which is natural to many crab species (but not all) and can trigger a predatory fish to strike before the crab borrows into the bottom. Also OK to vary weight technique and try some flat lead-like material on crab bellies (as suggested above for the Flounder pattern) which will give them more of a sinking-but-floating or fluttering action than a diving action and which is characteritic of many of the swimming crab species. Try them both an see which action elicits better responses.

Also is the belly a hard or soft material? Wondering about the splashdown impact for tropical use.

Dick
Old 12-03-2002, 02:59 PM

John,

Very nice but does it come it in a stuffed version ? LOL

Also is this replacing the Carrie Stevens Classic Streamer fly challenge you alluded to earlier this year for this winter ?

Looks like Mrs. Stevens had about 93 patterns in her collection and would be quite a challenge.

Hal
Old 12-03-2002, 03:29 PM

Great work with both the crab and flounder flies, John!

Ever see the crab body weights that Bestco produces?
Bestco
There kinda neat and quite inventive. Replaces the hour glass eyes needed to flip over the hook.

Stu is a memeber of Rhody Fly Rodders. Once in awhile he'll give me new proto-types to try.
Old 12-03-2002, 03:32 PM
Fluff

Dick, on patterns I've done in the past, I've used both golf club weighting tape, and electronic solder wire in a flaked left to right pattern, between the layers of material, feathers, what have you.

Though I do not have a picture or pictures at present, I shall make available specimens in the near future for photographing and posting by some one of my benevolent friends.

:eyecrazy: (Dick: the previous flashing emoticons are a private message - do not presume they are intended for you )

Last edited by DFix; 12-03-2002 at 03:36 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.