Color Change ! - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Striper (etc) Flies Tricks of the trade

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2002, 06:15 AM

Question Color Change !

QUESTION. I am asking thisto help find out w/ we have so MENY different colors of material.DO we REALY NEED this . whats wrong w/ the BASIC COLORS in a fly patten, has anyone read an book on the effect of COLOR , in the water. an what do fish (stripers) realy SEE. just woundering, I know the KENNY always talks about color in the water, are thoes colors effecting the FLYS we TIE, or are they just effect the HACKLES.
like his FLYS W/ so meny colors in them. if so is that why he's tying w/so meny colors. ???????????????????????????????
"GOOD LUCK GOODTYIN"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2002, 09:58 AM
President of CAC

Rich, that's a good question. I think it's a number of things. As tyers we would sure get bored with out doing this with various colors, but that's just an outside view... As far as the fish are concerned I don't know about what they see, so we all tye to try to imitate the real thing...as you are saying ,there are only so many different colors for actual bait fish... so my thinking is you tye with two concepts..one imitation and the other Attractor... my thinking is both will work depending of the situation. I can remember fishing with Peter Alves one day on Monomoy. Pete was the manager of the Orvis shop in Harwich and now live on the West coast. We could not catch anything on our conventional patterns, then he digs out a Brightly colored TARPON fly... It had no connection with any naturals, not only that it was Red, Yellow, Blue and White. He starts hooking up with a dozen good stripers...so I am watching this, asking him to fork one over...he only had one. So I said "give it to me anyway..Now".."you've, caught your share"..just kidding him, but the point was made with me.
Old 12-02-2002, 12:06 AM
CantAnchorUs

I believe in blending colors, my flies may have as many as 5 or 6 differant shades running through them. Kenny Abrams says that a bait fishes scales act like a prism, bending light passing through them into every color of the spectrum, his slide show last year showed this in great clarity. Another noted fly tier, Ray Bonderow ties his silverside imitation with 6 differant colors, in small amounts, to produce the muted shades he desires.
Some flies need a strongly defined lateral line, calling for a distinct seperation of colors. Others are more muted with gradual changes, just look at a pogie, you`ll notice 4 or 5 changes in hue as you scan the fish. As the fish moves slight amounts of all these colors are transmited to predators. Maybe this explains why outlandish attractors work at times.
I am now tying an angel hair fly modeled after Bonderow`s Yellow Rebel fly , which was influenced by the Yellow Rebel, also known as the chicken scratch plug. It`s pearl belly is topped by a stripe of red which is vieled by banana yellow. First prototypes worked amazingly well. Go figure!
Slinger
Old 12-02-2002, 05:47 PM

I AGREE w/you guys, an also keep some DIFFERENT STUFF around , when they get NANCY an don't want anything Ill TOSS somthing totaly DIFFERENT an usualy does work. I know that all the colors are GREAT to work w/ BUT have you ever fished w/ BLONDS, NO, NO, the outher kind,the ones that atract FISH . now there's a fly that has NEVER CHANGED an still works wonders. SO is it the (COLORS) or is it the (PATTEN), was thinking of just trying out the old stand bys of long ago, an NOT fishin w/ all this flashie stuff, to see if the flys catch FISH or FISHEMEN. Ill give it a shot next spring an see, boy am I DUMB. I keep giving myself more stuff to do,WOW, "GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN"
Old 12-02-2002, 07:12 PM
President of CAC

Rich, you are right..Blonds would work, infact I have come to the point when I have seen almost all flys, well not all, but I think 95% of flies work on any given occasion. I remember one season when all I fished was Harry Koon's rats Ass in chartruese, nothing else.. The next season sometime later all I fished all season was Juro's deep eel. Last year was the only time in recent times where I mixed things up but that was because of the lack of sand eels in Chatham..... I love tying ,and I will have ,maybe ,only 5 or six different flies, even thought I must have 100 different ones. For me there is a difference between fishing and tying and I love both... Will I use each variety of fly...maybe... Right now I carry three boxes..One all deep eels, the other a variety of clousers, deceivers...bigger flys and a third box...smaller in size which has the crustations, just pop shrimp, crab apples, merkins , small flatwings and a variety of surf candies. don't use them all but did this year...so...as you say...keep tying even if you don't use them all... I will give some away anyway and I do think the old standbys will work as good as any new fly today. IMHO
Old 12-03-2002, 12:02 AM
CantAnchorUs

Love that rats ass it`s one of my 3 or 4 go to patterns. I tie it in 4 or 5 color combinations. All purple is a killer at night.
Slinger

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.