Guides - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-30-2002, 06:30 AM
Recent Member

Guides

Just curious. I fished in Alaska a number of times, all guided. In some camps the guides fish. They always fish behind you and are available if you need help, but they do fish. Is this normal? Are guides supposed to fish?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2002, 07:46 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

There is no hard/fast rule, some situations warrant it while others don't. Take for instance a Florida Keys bonefish flat where you are seeing big singles and working for a shot at your first bone - certainly not. Let's say you are in a situation where demonstration by example is the best you can do, like a retrieve that get's the grab in a swarming horde of picky stripers - certainly yes. In summary, where the guide's investigation is key to the client's success it's good for him/her to fish IMHO. For instance I carry hookless flies when 'probing' is necessary but have rarely had to use them.

Good guides do fish with their clients a lot - because this means the clients were so happy that they told him to go ahead and fish!
Old 12-01-2002, 02:33 AM

Cool

Hi Jim, no i do not fish when i am on the river with clients, i am there to assist them. The only time i pick up a rod is if they need help with there casting or want to learn a new cast i can help them with. Even when i get clients who are exellent fly fishers and do not want any help from me but to row the boat from one spot to another i do not fish. tight lines,brian
Old 12-01-2002, 06:45 PM

Im Workin, Man

Good day,
Right on Brian! Its that easy, when you are at work, you work.
You fish on your own time. End of discussion.
Deerhawk
Old 12-01-2002, 08:16 PM

When in Rome........

I am curious at the different styles of guiding from Europe, the UK and the States. I know that several of the places in Europe a guide is expected to take you to the water and make sure that you don't drown. They rarely make fly recommendations or give advice on technique. In the UK the guides participate a little more but they still are not as involved as some of the guides in the states. I've taken some ribbing from my buddies in the UK that US guides are little more than endentured servants. Obviously in a good natured way.

One positive side to the difference in the service, is that if one of my state side clients has a great day, I will often receive a nice tip. But since it often is a little confusing to my European guests, I will discourage tips and just understand that they have spent alot of money just to have the opportunity to fish my waters.

John
Old 12-02-2002, 05:44 AM

Talking

Of the guides that I have used I don't mind them fishing as long as I encouraged them. I learn a lot by observing. What I don't like is a guide who is so tired from a previous trip that his performance is off. Also, while some of my techniques are not perfect I have been fishing long enough to know when a fly is not work and I want to try one of my own . Its all about chemistry with the guide . If you like him you don't mind him fishing.
FishHawk
Old 12-02-2002, 09:02 AM
Fly chucker

When I guided about ten years ago, I never fished unless the client(s) prodded me to. Even then, I resisted a bit. To me it was about them catching fish, not me.

As previously mentioned, I would demonstrate a cast or other technique if requested, but that was about it until they told me to go ahead and join in.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.