Fly shows - getting it together! - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-29-2002, 03:13 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Post Fly shows - getting it together!

Show Plans

We are going to do our first west coast show in Seattle (Bellevue) in Feb 2003 and extend our northeastern show success with a repeat at the Wilmington Show in March, 2003. If finances allow, we will also do the Boston Show in Marlboro in January.

We need funding to do these shows. We'll need to hold an auction, sell seats to our special fund raising events at the shows, and recruit sponsors to our mutual benefit. We can sell cool items at a small margin that helps us to recoup the booth costs, hold raffles, etc. We'll figure it out somehow.

It's important to note that at the shows, we need to recoup the booth costs to upgrade to a dedicated server that will support our increased demands and let us host videos among other things. We really need this upgrade due to bandwidth demands and are on the edge of disc storage as well, so we should consider the recovery of the show entry fees to be an important phase of the 2003 plan.

We can use all the help we can get to reach our show funding needs (approx $750 per show not including extra costs). The Wilmington Show is already covered, we just need to worry about Seattle and if there is enough funding the early Boston show as well.

Seattle Show:

We need people who can be involved. They will be staff at the booth, help acquire items like small tables, coordinate events at our booth like special guest tyers, WSC speakers, etc - as well as set up the booth. From our experiences here in the east I can say it's hard work but it's extremely gratifying and a total blast.

If you can participate in the Seattle (Bellevue) show, please contact one of the following organizers:

Me - I hope to be flying out for this
Dana - the meister himself!
Sinktip - a seasoned organizer
Sean - the big gun on systems support
and YOU!

We will have a few weeks to nail everything, but it's never too early to start especially with funding deadlines coming up real quick.

For the Marlboro show, we have an experienced show crew and bolt-together booth so the first obstacle will be funding for the space, and the deadline for that is coming up a month sooner (Jan verses Feb). The crafty northeasters are going to have to pull a rabbit out of the hat to make Marlboro, but Wilmington's in the bag in March.

In either case, we will need a contact to coordinate auction items, schedule events and booth exhibitors, people to handle the money, people to generate excitement and have a great time. We just plain need people!

I will draft up a show proposal for Seattle first since it's virgin territory. In the meantime, please let us know if you can volunteer some time to the cause.

Thank you in advance,

Juro
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2002, 05:16 PM

Seattle Show

Juro,
I'm in, check your box....
Deerhawk
Old 12-03-2002, 11:27 AM

Send a message via AIM to Chris
I'll help any way I can, just say the word. Get me the stuff we discussed and I'll have some revenue generators. Ever consider structuring the Forums fiscal year- if it hasn't been done- so it ends say in September, then any on hand cash doesn't have to go away right before the show season and may be available for booths?
Old 12-03-2002, 11:59 AM
President of CAC

Juro..you know I will help. as far as the January Show is concerned..let me know what you will need from me, I can contribute money, flies, whatever for sale at the show...also will do the same for Wilmington. Can get some display cases ready.... you know, the usual.
Old 12-04-2002, 12:21 PM
BB5 Survivor

Exclamation

A Word of Warning:

Gents,

Cannot comment on the Left Coast shows as I've never attended, but the local federales are clamping down harder than ever before. If you intend to sell anything at a show, make SURE you are charging and collecting sales tax, unless you can provide documented proof of 501c3 status. (Any endeavor that is "not-for-profit" in spirit and intent does NOT qualify as non-profit organization unless you are registered as a 501c3).

Every year, we've seen increasingly more and more of the tax folks at the various shows....best course is to make sure you are legal!

be careful out there...

--j
Old 12-04-2002, 12:37 PM

Thumbs up

No, nothing for sale! But thanks for the warning just the same. We examined application for tax exempt status but among other things we couldn't afford the legal fees. We may be working with organizations that have been able to gain that status though, more on that later.
Old 12-04-2002, 01:13 PM
Chief of E.P.

I have already planted a couple seeds as to the WSC being involved on some level. They of course have their 501c3 so there are some options available there possibly.

Question for Dana, Sean and Juro regarding the Seattle Show.

Do we want to handle the logistics/planning communication through e-mail or through a private forum here on the site? Either way, I would like us to start throwing around ideas as February will be upon us before we know it.
Old 12-04-2002, 06:27 PM

Seattle Show

Exactly where and when is the Seattle show?
Old 12-04-2002, 06:36 PM
LBFF Mojo

I will get a private board up by tomorrow. Anyone who wants to volunteer let me know via a PM and I will give you permissions to view the board.

-sean
Old 12-08-2002, 07:26 PM

Bob -

The Seattle show is Feb 22-23 in Bellevue, check out this link for information:

http://flyfishingshow.com

See you there!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.