Where's the Rip-Trip Report(s) - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2001, 07:05 AM

Where's the Rip-Trip Report(s)

Was it Biblical, so-so, or skunk-aroonie?

As that guy said in that Dirty Harry Movie "I Guts To Know!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2001, 07:09 AM

Drove by the soiuth tip of Monomoy around 15:30 on 7/3 to find a FF gathering just east of the tip. Anybody from this board?
Just past the clavers, the rip at the south end of Monomoy was the worst I'd ever seen, with S 20 right into the outflow current. Nasty, even in a 26'er.
BTW, there were huge schools of sand eels on the surface, 1-2 miles E of Monomoy. You could see the dark water even from a few hyndreds of yards away
Old 07-04-2001, 09:15 AM

I agree wiht Grego " I guts to know." After our trip was canceled on Monday we were blown all over the cape and didn't get a hit. We had a great time but my striper Jones is real bad.
Larry alias shadfreak
Old 07-04-2001, 09:56 AM

Josko, I thought all the fish were in Falmouth?

I seriously hope that there were no Mishaps on the Rip!?
Old 07-04-2001, 10:23 AM

Now that was some water! The rip was very very difficult to fish with the 4 foot breaking surf and high winds. It all started off as a flat calm day with high expectations for a day of many large fish. Keith ferried us out to the South tip taking a route around the East side of the island. We were dropped off and then a 1 mile walk to the STR but wait! as we were beaching the boat the starboard side passengers see a couple of submarines cruising. A few of us decide to fish the drop off and to the North, knowing the rip won't set up until 1ish. I saw one moby fly by heading North, but was anxious to get all the crap I brought to the point. Along the way a few of the group (Ed and sons) had gotten into fish. Arriving at the South tip I rigged up with sinking line and proceeded to practice casting it (not my favorite line) I'd been casting intermediate all year and needed to get the hang of the catapult cast again. That more or less done and the line thoroughly stretched and another 2 hours before the rip formed up I contemplated hitting the East side for some beach fishing. John Morin said he had explored the area and it was very fishy but quite a haul so I decided to stay put. After about a half hour Keith called to tell us we were leaving South Island Now because of building seas. We packed up and headed for the pick up point about a mile North. We waited at the pickup for about an hour, no Keith. We later learned that he had made 4 attempts to get over the flats which were sporting 8' waves. We contacted Rip ryder and got our new instructions. Plan-B meant that we could return to the rip and fish it, Yeah! but we would have to walk the East side of the island to the Northern most point. Returning the the rip is was not quite set up but fishable. As we all started to fish the rip the wind kicked up and it was like someone turned on the wave machine, Wow! Juro managed a blue from the maelstrom which was worsening by the minute. A nine foot rod just couldn't keep you over the 1st wave (wall of water is more like it) Soon most of us called it quits at the rip and started the trudge.
Rounding the Southern tip we saw the only jetty on the island, a jetty of blubber. For any of you who have seen 200 seals sunning on a beach you know what I'm talking about. We got pretty close to them before they belly bounced into the water, what a sight and sound. It was about an 8 mile walk to the new pickup point we took a couple of breaks to fish some really cool structure. Because of the direction of the wind you could actually see all the bars but not the surf that is usually indicative of the bars. Fred pulled a nice Blondie out of one spot in the 8 mile stretch. (John, I am referring to a striped bass here, it was not one of the bird hippies, I repeat this was a fish)
I enjoyed taking with Ed about his home state of Minnesota, sounds like some beautiful wilderness out there. Walk, Walk, Walk you get the idea. We finally got the to the North tip around pm Many of the group were fishing and into Schoolies, oh to stay another hour for dusk.

I learned that it's best to pack light even if you only expect a short jaunt, because you never know what the day will hold. Be prepared but not too prepared.

I'd sum it up as an exciting trip. My thanks to John, Juro for organizing it. Keith thanks for finally getting us off the island, although with the unusually flat conditions on the East side we probably could have met up 7 miles prior.
Old 07-04-2001, 11:02 AM

Knew I couldn't get down in time for the R-Trip so I opted for a noon arrival with the 'yak. Lauched from the causway and headed out of Outermost Harbor for N.Monomoy. Yak's getting overwashed about every third wave but not quite ready to bail. About an hour + of hard paddling get's me on the flats but now where do I go? Tides beginning to drop, should I stay on the westside and face these SW winds or work around to the north to the guzzle and maybe the N end of S.Mon? Finaly paddle up to the guzzle ,see Randy with two clients working some edges, don't know how you could sightcast yesterday and finally anchor the yak to fish a channel edge. So far 2+ hours and I'm just getting started fishing. Nada, paddle down to the 'humps' Nada. I have my clamming rake & basket so I figure it's getting time to hit one of the clam flats... paddle from the humps over to S.Beach. (Yes this was insanity!) fighting the SW winds on my beam the whole way.
Filled a basket of steamers right quickly, often 3-4 per hole which was nice but not a qohaug to be found
Paddle back to the causeway and finally get the 'yak back on the roof about 6:00pm. Shoulders were ready to fall off.
Headed for Nauset where I took one nice 32" fish about 9:30 after a 3-4 mile hike north. Back to Brookline about 1:30 this morning......
Old 07-04-2001, 11:11 AM

Jim,

Glad to hear that everyone is safe. Sometimes we forget that the Ocean can be a lot harsher than a walk in the Park!
Old 07-04-2001, 11:46 AM
President of CAC

I would have poster earlier but I just woke up from sleep after fishing this morning from 5 to 9. We just picked the wrong day thinking that the winds would stay down. All I can remember is the following words over and over.. "are we there yet", "are we there yet". "are we there yet'' while walking up the east side of south monomoy. I was comfortable.. going barefoot and wet wading. All I can say is in the future travel light and expect the unexpected. We will have better weather in the future. Juro Pete and I waited to be the last to leave the rip for the march thinking we might get some action but the wind was too much and the wind had definitely affected the current. Pete injured his hip about 3 miles into the walk but was ok enough to take his chopper back to South Hadley. Back to the drawing board... It's to bad the first timers had such a negative experience but it wouldn't be perfect all the time.. but we will have other days down there.
Old 07-04-2001, 12:04 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Just got home and need to run to a family gathering but JimW I couldn't have said it better. Started out well with JimH landing a 30", Roger hooking some just-unders and I got lucky standing in between them with a nice fish that followed Roger's fish in (sighted). The rip was a no show until things got hairy then it was standing waves the likes of which I hadn't seen.

I regret not having any film left in my camera as a photo of that rip would have spoken reams about the severity of the situation on the tip. It would have been a great photo to have! On the other hand I used those last shots to get Roger's fish and a few other great shots which will go up soon.

The circumstances that resulted from the weather warrants a re-thinking of the way we do this trip. It's anything but childs play and it may be that we think through the contingencies before heading out again. I will clarify this once fully discussed w/ Keith.

I think in the end everyone caught something and there were times during the day that were priceless like every time we get together but on the downside the rip, which was our reason to be there, was not do-able and the weather threw a huge wrench in the works.

The good news is no one got hurt and someday we will look back on this day without regret and think about the amazing things we saw - not part of a chore but in a twisted kind of way a privilege of sorts. Right now I am pretty damn sore and pissed it happened to our first rip trip of the year! ;-)

My utmost respect and admiration goes out to Ed H. for his amazing physical condition and his great attitude, I hope I can be half as sturdy at your age! Also to all who had smiles and fish on up at the emergency landing point where Keith picked us up despite the ordeal.

Maybe next time we'll just do Scorton Creek...... NOT!
Old 07-04-2001, 01:14 PM
Flats Rat

Glad to hear everyone got out in one piece - wow that sounds like a real grown-ups trip! I was echoing Grego's thoughts and when I didn't see a post this morning I thought uhh ohh!
Old 07-04-2001, 05:47 PM

Great expectation, painful disappointment, and LOTS of Motrin.
Old 07-04-2001, 08:22 PM
Middle Aged Member

Peter,
Glad to see you made it back to Hadley safely.

My right leg is now an inch longer than my left (you had to be there). Other than that it was an interesting day and I feel sufficient penance has been extracted by the fish gods so I can expect an epic day in the near future. Amazing how what seemed like a perfect day early could turn to crap. As always, it was great to see old faces and meet new and in the end we will probably look back on day fondly.

Lessons learned:
Pack light.
If things start to fall apart (higher than expected winds out of the south/southwest), don't hesitate. Start up the east side and liesurely fish as you go.
I suspect 8 out of 10 times weather would not be an issue given Kieth's conservative approach, but the worst should be anticipated.

So when's the next Rip Trip?

Thanks John and Juro.

Fred A
Old 07-04-2001, 08:34 PM

The next rip trip is scheduled for the day when God himself speaks to me that there will be no inclement weather risk.

Hold on I need to get the phone... ;-)
Old 07-04-2001, 08:38 PM
Flats Rat

I have secured advanced clearance from ground control to fish the week-end of 13th/14th and plan to make the long trek up to the cape again if things look half decent. This coming week-end I'll be chasing that infuriating little white ball. Played this morning and took everyone's money! 8)
Old 07-04-2001, 08:39 PM

Quote:
josko (07-04-2001 08:09 a.m.):
Drove by the soiuth tip of Monomoy around 15:30 on 7/3 to find a FF gathering just east of the tip. Anybody from this board?
Just past the clavers, the rip at the south end of Monomoy was the worst I'd ever seen, with S 20 right into the outflow current. Nasty, even in a 26'er.
BTW, there were huge schools of sand eels on the surface, 1-2 miles E of Monomoy. You could see the dark water even from a few hyndreds of yards away
Josko -

I actually recall seeing a Regulator with hard top cruise by - must have been you! Yes, the rip was at it's worst about that time... unless it got worse after that. It was actually a thing of beauty as far as natural forces go, but I wouldn't want to be unprepared in a vessel or fall into the water in that maelstrom. Pissed that I missed the photo op, not quite that lighthouse in the north sea but nothing shy of exhilarating to watch.

Take care,
Juro

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.