Feeding the obsession - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-26-2002, 12:37 AM
CantAnchorUs

Feeding the obsession

I`ve recently become obsessed with False Albacore. After 40 yrs. of striped bass I finally found a fish that made me say, "The hell with those bass." Fairly large bass were swirling on the outside of the jetty at Weekapoag and my cousin was hookinf up almost every cast and I didn`t even try for one, why? Because the Albies were on the inside of the jetty. I`m crazed to feed this obsession, I recently read a post that mentioned a book called False Albacore, does anyone know where I could lay my hands on it? Any and all info on this amazing fish will be appreaciated. I`ll never abandon stripers but albies have me hooked, I have to learn more so I can feed this obsession.
Slinger
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2002, 04:48 AM

I am also hooked on these fish. Checked out the book at Barnes & Noble. there is a lack of color photos in the book. I guess they had to keep the cost down. Buy it on Amazon.com. FishHawk
Old 11-26-2002, 06:37 AM

here's the amazon link...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...397993-8240833
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2002, 11:57 PM
CantAnchorUs

Color photos, while pretty, don`t teach anything. Give me content anyday. Gee I know some people that could also apply to.
Slinger
Old 11-26-2002, 11:59 PM
CantAnchorUs

Oh, by the way, I almost forgot to say thanks for the link. I ordered the two book deal.
Slinger
Old 11-27-2002, 01:46 PM
Secret:Time on the water

Slinger and Fishhawk,
The illness is terminal and there is no known cure as of yet except many opportunities at hooking up This only seems to be a temporary respite from the symptoms. Lack of sleep, obsessive reading of online fishing reports, many trips of many miles to sit and wait for a single shot, many trips on the water on windy days where casting is difficult if not impossible, tying flies till your hands are sore trying to come up with that one magical pattern that they will take everytime. These are just some of the ills that afflict those stricken with the disease. The worst part of the disease is that now you have to wait another 9-10 months to fill your prescription to calm the symptoms. Try and be patient and you could always try a visit to a local A.A. meeting (Albies Anonymous) Seriously though reading during the off months is usually a great way to get a fix, I usually build quite an impressive collection of fishing magazines during the winter months can't seem to get my hands on enough fishing related reading material during the off season.

Tightlines,
Mike M.
Old 12-11-2002, 07:43 AM
CantAnchorUs

Recieved my book and devoured it . The destination info is more than worth the price. In my limited experiance with this fish the author`s information was right on the money. As for waiting for 9 months, he`s got me seriously thinking about a trip to Jupiter inlet in May. Picked up a nautical chart of Fishers Island and Watch Hill this week, I`m planning on making major assualt on that area this spring. Candies are flowing from the vise, but I`ve been hearing about a pink anchovy, sure like the recipe. Mike if your still willing maybe you could show me around down Stonington next spring.
Slinger

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.