Say Big Banger - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Striper (etc) Flies Tricks of the trade

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-24-2002, 12:03 PM

Arrow Say Big Banger

Striblue, as you know buy now Im into BIG flys. any ways. I fish CUTTY HUNK from the beach in the SPRING an FALL an the BIG stripers love BIG flys the wack them an they shot up 4-6' out of thewater then come back an EAT'EM I use to use Bob Popovic's fly ( banger) which was great on the little guys, BUT for the past 2 years Im into BIG BIG BANGERS,this. the foam is 1"round an 1 3/4 long w/tail it's 9" total whic they love. my buddie just sent me some foam that 2" round an will do som of thoes for the 40lb's that cruzzzzzz out the this winter, anyways here's my BIG BROWN
for NIGHT fishin.
"GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN""
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	big brown banger.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	1052  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2002, 12:06 PM

Arrow

here's the BLUE ONE for DAY fishing.
"GOOD LUCK GOODTYIN"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	big banger.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	1053  
Old 11-24-2002, 06:45 PM
President of CAC

Yikes!.. Those are perfect...I will try some of them but need to get material for the barrell shape. The thing is I don't use poppers that much in Chatham so I don't tye them often..usually the crease fly... But with the change in conditions this year down there I was left at certain times without a popper in my fly box...not to happen again!
Old 11-25-2002, 08:41 AM

nice

Salty,

Nice looking flies.

Do you cast those with a 10/11 wt? I can't imagine it's too easy to get those big boys out in a headwind. Also, since you seem to be a fan of big poppers, what kind of tippet do you use to avoid twisting? I rarely use poppers anymore because I go through leaders at a mile a minute with the line twist.

Dave
Old 11-25-2002, 11:35 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Dave -

Surprisingly, using the livebody foam in the jumbo size I've been able to cast big bangers 60 feet or so, but you need to cut the leader back to the thick stuff. It sure isn't like casting a shrimp fly but it gets out plenty far with a 9wt line for me.

The problem for me is switching to a dry line, with an intermediate the belly pulls the popper down and it won't chug as well. I never carry the third line.

Your results may vary!
Old 11-25-2002, 11:42 AM

Juro - next time I will cut the leader back as you suggest.

One good tip deserves another - Jim Bender turned me on to the idea of dressing the line with a silicone-based cleaner and it actually floats (my line) up pretty well. You may have to reapply but like you, I will not carry 3 spools around with me. Too much to fit in my fanny pack!
Old 11-25-2002, 04:27 PM

thats the ticket, cut the leader back, an if you pick up one of these you will see, there is only the weight of the hook, material is LIGHT ha,ah, an YES a 10wt is good my 11 is Better BIG FLIES like this need to be casted a little bit SLOWER, to KEEP control of.
"GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.