Fly Fishing is not expensive - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-23-2002, 08:57 PM

Thumbs up Fly Fishing is not expensive

I feel better about the cost of fly fishing with all the rods, reels, lines, waders, clothes etc...

Today I spent several hours at my wifes business associate house who is a real estate broker along with my wife. I went there to transfer some customer listings which my wife will be taking over. Her and her husband Frank are moving to Vegas on Dec 2nd to fully retire.

Well Frank and I got to talking about our hobbies. I would say Frank is 65 or so, he was an insurance agent. Frank is a hunter and competition shooter. He has hunted and competed all over NA, hunted Africa etc. Well he showed me his weapons. Wow, I had several $ 8,000+ shotguns in my hands, which he had multiple ones of, plus many other pistols and rifles.

I think I can now justify to the wife a $ 500-$700 spey fly rod some day.

Did a little web research there was one shot gun which looked to be $ 50,000. These are highly engineered beautiful shot guns.

Yes fly fishing is a bargain compared to this sport plus I do not have to kill anything.

Got invited to visit them in Vegas and do some shooting, golf, and the Vegas strip experience. Hows the fly fishing there ?

Last edited by pmflyfisher; 11-24-2002 at 07:39 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2002, 09:17 AM
Flats Rat

Hal

There are supposed to be some monster stocked stripers swimming in Lake Meade
Old 11-24-2002, 01:13 PM

Yes your right the former pastor of our church told me a long time ago, about his brother in law who lives out there, they would fish lake mead for the stripers. He was a fly fisherman but I don't think he was fly fishing for them. Have to find out if that is a possibility there. A future web search on lake mead fishing seems in order.
Old 11-24-2002, 07:04 PM
_

I recently visited my brother and mom in the Vegas area. While I was there I took a ride to Lake Mead. I wasn't there for even two minutes when I spotted a couple of carp cruising the shoreline. Loads of carp, everywhere. I was kicking myself for not bringing the fly rod and shelling out a few bucks for a temporary license. There's also a good population of stripers, and there's a trout hatchery right on the lake. Largemouth bass are also an option, although I understand they are more plentiful in the northern section of the lake (an hour or so from Vegas).

My brother called the other night and said they were at one of the marinas on the lake. People were tossing french fries, popcorn and other snacks into the water for the ducks but the stripers kept charging out from under the docks to grab the food. Unfortunately, you are not allowed to fish from the docks.

Q
Old 11-26-2002, 09:31 AM

Thanks, now I will be packing the fly rod along with the golf clubs for the vegas trip !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.