Cape Lookout albies - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-23-2002, 12:51 PM
NC Fly Guy

Cape Lookout albies

It has been a tough albie season here. It seemed that whenever we would get a nice run of fish in, the next day would see strong SW winds (very bad here) and the water would get mucked up and the fish would move out. Have had a couple of very good days and a lot of very slow days and a couple days where the combination of tough conditions and poor anglers had me really struggling to put ANY fish in the boat. Speckled trout fishing has been VERY good and I have been able to turn to them to get bent rods most any time I want to. Usually at the end of the day when my anglers are tired and frustrated from trying to get flies in front of small schools of rapidly moving albies. Best days of fishing have been east of Cape Lookout Shoals. The days of massive schools of albies inside the hook are about done it seems. This is leaving guys in small CC's and flats boats out of the loop most days. Some guys have mentioned that they had good days and outfished the guides. That is great. Just remember that if you trailer your own boat down here, chances are that you fish more often than the guy who charters me once or twice a year. In most instances, those are the only times all year that the guy has to cast more than 30 feet to catch whatever fish he is going after. In any case. Congrats to the guys who came down here and got into them. Water temp at Cape Lookout is still 64 degrees F. Should be in the low 50's by now. We may have good fishing in December.

PS
Sorry it has been so long since I have posted any fishing reports. I've been pretty busy.
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2002, 07:14 PM

Capt,
Good to hear from you. I've been watching the local boards from NC to see if the season ever lit up and it sounds like just what you've said. Those water temps are amazing. Would never expect that for the week before turkey day.
There was one consistant impression that my first trip to the Cape Lookout area provided me. That is what a hard-working and generally nice group of guides seem to be located down there. Just about everyone we met was helpful in some regard and accepted the fact that some days would require 50-70 miles of running to get their sports into fish they could handle.
For us I think we were lucky, with your own boat you can invest time in exploring and learning an area, and sometimes good fishing instincts can point you in the right direction.

When things (possibly) slow down a bit for you over the winter I'd love to discuss the other species available down there during the fall. WE tried and attempt at live-baiting for kings but what really has my interest is working up inside the marshes for reds...

It's a beautiful place to call home!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2002, 10:48 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
..Been there...Done that...Got the tee-shirt...WANNA GO BACK!!...

Fished outa' Morehead City with Capt Dirty Dave Dietzler...Challenging conditions but a great fishery and tons of potential. Local knowledge goes a long way...
Timing is everything but the rewards are noteworthy!
Weather RULES!

Last edited by Penguin; 11-23-2002 at 11:02 PM.
Old 11-23-2002, 11:31 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
...DOOP!...

Worth the price of admission...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nc.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	1050  
Old 11-25-2002, 09:17 AM
NC Fly Guy

Bob Pink

Bob,
Feel free to contact me anytime. I will be glad to offer you as much info as I can. Email is better for me than the PM as I hardly ever check that. :-)
Old 11-25-2002, 01:23 PM

I appreciate the frank report, Capt Gordon. In these days of hype and worse, it's nice to see a frank, honest report. Your credit rating went way up with me.
Old 11-26-2002, 12:41 PM
NC Fly Guy

Hyperbolic fishing report

Man you should have seen it! The fish just wouldn't leave me alone. For an hour I was getting a stike or a hookup on every cast. Best part was the guys fishing next to me couldn't buy a strike. I was fishing with spinning and fly tackle and the biggest one I got was on a fly. Yeeehaaaa! I am speaking of course about fishing for speckled trout at the Cape Lookout Rock Jetty. It's actually pretty good right now. ;-)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.