11/21 - Still Big Bass & Blues in Rhode Island - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-22-2002, 01:16 PM
_

11/21 - Still Big Bass & Blues in Rhode Island

I took a ride to RI yesterday to try to hook up with the fat lady. I was unsuccessful, but I spoke with a guy who said he's been tossing big plugs with conventional gear and catching bass in the 20# class and blues from 3# - 10#. As usual, I was there a day late -- the fish were in the wash and rocks on Wednesday but way out on Thursday. Loads of gannets making bombing runs. Very impressive to watch. Action was around Quonny and points east.

I left RI in mid afternoon so I could at least catch some schoolies in Old Saybrook. They're still around the causeway in large numbers: it was a fish or hit per cast for about 45 min at sundown. No shad around for some reason. Maybe because it was around low slack. The water in the cove was much colder than the seawater so the action may be better on the flood tide.

Q
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2002, 01:24 PM
Fly chucker

Quentin- I have an anecdote that firms up your RI report....Bert called me Tuesday night as I was packing to head up to Maine for my dad's procedure. He wanted to know if I could hit South County with him on Wednesday. Over the course of 3 days (Sunday through Tuesday) he had caught at least a few hundred fish, all on the fly rod, and all basically in the wash. Most were schoolie bass and rat blues, but he did manage to get 4 keeper stripers. Action was from Central Beach to Weekapaug.

Naturally I had to decline, but I was hoping that someone from the Forum had been able to get in on some of that action. Glad you got some of those fish that are still at the causeway.
Old 11-23-2002, 12:11 AM
Secret:Time on the water

Quentin,
A quick heads up sorry for the late post but I have been fishing the Sand Shoal the last 2 days and we have boated 15 fish up to 40+" on eels out there but the thing I wanted to tell you and anyone else interested is that there have been acres of schoolie bass with a few bigger fish stretching from the jetty at the mouth of the river all along the coast to well past Hatchetts Reef and they were very catchable from shore if you can access that area from the beach. I am not familar with access along that particular stretch but if you could get on the beach along there I would think that a 100 fish day is definitely possible and with those numbers there is bound to be some big girls in the mix. We could have easily caught a 100 of them if we fished them alone, but opted instead to drift the sand shoal for bigger fish which worked out pretty good for us.

Tightlines,
Mike M.
Old 11-23-2002, 09:45 AM
_

Mike, thanks for the report. Not sure when/if I'll be heading back down there this year. The guy I spoke with said that White Sands Beach is good. He said you can get stripers and big blues there at this time of year. I've never been there so I don't know what it's like. My CT access guide doesn't show any public access in that vicinity. There is a small boat launch just inside the mouth of the river, which would allow you to access that area by kayak if conditions permit.

Q
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.