Flyfishing for oregon coast steelhead! - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-19-2002, 09:32 PM
extmtbiker

Flyfishing for oregon coast steelhead!

Hey everyone, I am going to be going flyfishing for Oregon Salmon and Steelhead. I am wondering what theese "BIG FIGHTING FISH" will be biting on, or some tips on what to use. Also I am wondering where to go. Could anyone tell me some info?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2002, 12:23 PM

Can't speak for northern Oregon's coastal rivers (save for the Alsea)

but the Chetco I can give you somewhat of a 'rock by rock' description of that river. Excellent fly water BUT BIG! Not a 6 or 7wt rod river unless you've got very low water conditions.

Great river for spey rods most of it's length. Just below this (45 minute drive) you've also got the Smith River. Some of the largest steelhead in No. America run up this bugger. Again, a considerable amount of public access that you can run a fly rod over. But, same as the Chetco an 8wt rod is as light as I'd recommend.
fae

Forgot to add: lots of good water for fly fishing on the lower portion of the Rogue. If you go there let me know as I've got very good maps of this section of the river.
fae
Old 11-20-2002, 09:13 PM
extmtbiker

Thanks

Hey thanks for the info, where if the chetco?Als do you know any flies or lures I should use?
Old 11-20-2002, 11:28 PM

Son, first look at a map, then...

we go to specifics. Don't know where you can get to ... car, Dad, etc. Then we talk about what rock to stand on.

If you want to do the upper Rogue you're staying with Joan and I.

fae/fee
Old 11-20-2002, 11:53 PM
extmtbiker

me?

Fred are you talking to me or some one else.If you are ur saying I ca stay with you and your friend.Just so u know if my dad says yes I will be with him and my brother.If you could tell me more about it, I might be able to.also is it free, and how to get there?
Old 11-21-2002, 05:34 AM

Re: me?

Quote:
Originally posted by extmtbiker
Fred are you talking to me or some one else.If you are ur saying I ca stay with you and your friend.Just so u know if my dad says yes I will be with him and my brother.If you could tell me more about it, I might be able to.also is it free, and how to get there?
Geoff: If your plan is to fish the upper Rogue the answer is 1) yes, I'm talking to you. 2) And you can stay with Joan and I (several board members have done the same in the past). 3) Almost, but not quite free: usually charge a good bottle of single malt scotch at the door .... for your Dad and I to share.
fae
Old 11-21-2002, 08:45 PM
extmtbiker

Thanks for the invitation at the house on the rogue, but my mom said I cant go to a strangers house, you know how parents are.But I still might come up there.
Old 11-21-2002, 10:49 PM

Well, first it's "down here. :>)

Tell "Mom" lots of folks on the Board have been our house guests and ... so far ... we've really low on our Rape and Pillage out put here in Southern Oregon. But, then again, she's also most welcome to join. She/Dad will get the extra bedroom; you're on an air mat. and sleeping bag. :>)

Southern Oregon has a very low tolerance for that kind of silliness. We usually put those kind of 'people' in jail and leave them there for a very, very long time.

Old enought to drive and have insurance? If so, I have your "fishing car" ready to go if you don't drive down here. Yes, you/Dad won't be the first.

All "BS" aside, tell Mom I know where she's coming from-going to. 4 Kids, all grown, college educated (Damn, that dropped 6 figures and then some, but each has done well. Made it worth every bloody penny).

So you're out fishing, she's going to a Shakspeare production; all eating pretty darn well.... etc. Could be worse.

The rest of this 'conversation;' if there's to be one, will be off line.
JandFEvans@aol.com
fae
Old 11-21-2002, 11:54 PM
extmtbiker

A parents concern

My son let me read what you wrote back to him. The thing is sir, my son is very gullable. He is so obssessed with fishing that he doesn't care how or who he gets to go fishing with. You are probably a very normal gentleman but my son has only talked to you on the computer. He doesn't know you from Adam and I really do not feel very comfortable at the idea of him going to meet someone to go fishing. All my son is concerned with in life these days is fishing. My son would like to get your telephone number so his father can call and talk with you.
Mom-
Old 11-22-2002, 01:58 PM
Recent Member

Oregon Steelhead

I fished the Deshuetes River two weeks ago and had incredible fishing. Over the space of two days i hooked 25 fish and landed 18. I was fishing up by the Warm Springs indian reservation.
Old 11-22-2002, 03:28 PM
extmtbiker

hey fred

First read what my mom wrote above and also I want to ask some questions. A couple.I want to know i you are a guide, and also if when we come down you will be going fishing to and being able to help us out and catch a fish. MAYBE??

Thanks

P.S Also PLease I need ur number so my dad can talk to you.
Thanks
Old 11-22-2002, 04:06 PM

Nope, not a guide ... a far more "fearsome thing."

A (shudder!) Banker. Do the residential lending for Key Bank here in Southern Oregon.

"Guide" a lot of the board members only from the standpoint we fish together, or I can provide some pretty detailed maps of a couple of rivers (Rogue in particular).

Home number is 541 482 0169
fae
Old 11-23-2002, 12:21 AM
extmtbiker

Ok thank you for everything I wont probably be coming out this weekend but maybe next I willdefinately call you.
Old 11-23-2002, 09:10 AM

Extmbiker and family,

I have known Fred through the internet for about one year now. There have been a number of forumn members that have been the guests of Fred and Joan on the Rogue and enjoyed their Oregonian hospitality.

I hope to be one of those some day my self.

Hope you decide to visit and I am sure Fred will teach you a lot about fly fishing and the Rogue.

One warning though, make sure you watch your spey fly fishing rod and lines should you have any while there. Fred likes those a lot.

I am an executive for an international financial services company here in Chicago so I would not make such a statement unless I was 100% sure I was correct.

Have a great holiday and Rogue fishing experience, etc..

Best

Hal Eckert
Old 11-23-2002, 10:44 AM
extmtbiker

I know, thats what I have been telling my mom, and I know he is probably a good person, maybe even great person. I want to come out there, but unfortunately I cant this weekend because my dad says its to far down there.Also I dont have a spey rod, lol. I am getting a 8 weight fly rod for christmas, and also a 4 weight. Trying to stock up for next year and the rest of this year fishing for the big fish. Then the following summer I hope to go to the many lakes in eastern oregon including Davis lake. Sorry that had really nothing to do with what we are talking about. HAHA. Actually the rod part did but anyway. I am really grateful that you have welcomed me into your home and I will take that chance some time this year, and I will have a great time.

Have a great Holiday everyone!

Geoff

P.S Would you want a pic of your trophy fish on my website, I can put one on if you want. Maybe a steelhead or salmon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.