Epoxy Flies - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Striper (etc) Flies Tricks of the trade

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-17-2002, 01:02 PM

Epoxy Flies

This is my first attempt to tie Bob Pops epoxy flies, These are not the flies I will submit to our fly swap.

Critiques welcomed.
Joe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2002, 01:35 PM
President of CAC

Joe, those are great!... Remember a little trick I do which others will as well... do a first coat of epoxy light enough to set the shape..by that I mean put a light coat which sinks into the material and hold the tail straight out which will keep the material straight out while it sets ..this will also thin the profile out.. If you want a wider profile than let it dry without pulling any tension on the tail... Then put the eye on and gills if the pattern call for that.. then put your second coat on and rotate the fly. Be sure not to touch the epoxy with your fingers, even after it is set and dry otherwise it will dull the shine you have created. Just put it in your box. Also, keep in mind that by holding and pulling on the material out toward the tail while the first coat sets also keeps your hook gap large... so when you pull and keep tension as it sets you are actually moving the material slightly to the top of the hook shank...so that your finished fly will have a very slight upward look to it.

Last edited by striblue; 11-17-2002 at 01:41 PM.
Old 11-17-2002, 01:36 PM

Cool, who is Bob Pops ? and I must tie some of those in a great lakes smelt pattern !!

Who is our SME on epoxy flies I definitely need help, since that is a major to do for this winters tying.

Great job Joe, boy you are quite creative. Never seen tails like those.

Hal
Old 11-17-2002, 01:56 PM

Epoxy Flies

Quote:
Originally posted by pmflyfisher
Cool, who is Bob Pops ? and I must tie some of those in a great lakes smelt pattern !!

Who is our SME on epoxy flies I definitely need help, since that is a major to do for this winters tying.

Great job Joe, boy you are quite creative. Never seen tails like those.

Hal
Hal
Bob Pop's is Bob Popovics, he is the author of POP FLEYES Book.
Its a Bible in Epoxy Tying.
I can't take any credit for what you see in my Epoxy Flies, I followed his instructions as outlined in his recipe for this Surf Candy.
Joe
Old 11-17-2002, 02:18 PM

Joe,

Thanks yes I have heard his name mentioned by the salt water fly fishers on the board, sounds like I should purchase his book on epoxy flies. Will check it out.

Best

Hal
Old 11-17-2002, 02:24 PM

Epoxy Flies

Quote:
Originally posted by striblue
Joe, those are great!... Remember a little trick I do which others will as well... do a first coat of epoxy light enough to set the shape..by that I mean put a light coat which sinks into the material and hold the tail straight out which will keep the material straight out while it sets ..this will also thin the profile out.. If you want a wider profile than let it dry without pulling any tension on the tail... Then put the eye on and gills if the pattern call for that.. then put your second coat on and rotate the fly. Be sure not to touch the epoxy with your fingers, even after it is set and dry otherwise it will dull the shine you have created. Just put it in your box. Also, keep in mind that by holding and pulling on the material out toward the tail while the first coat sets also keeps your hook gap large... so when you pull and keep tension as it sets you are actually moving the material slightly to the top of the hook shank...so that your finished fly will have a very slight upward look to it.
Joh,
I can see where I have made my mistake on apply epoxy on the Surf Candies, after your detailed instructions, I will diffenetly start by using a light coat followed by a second coat after the first has dried, I applied a very thick coating on the first application.
Thanks for the advise.
Joe
Old 11-18-2002, 02:33 PM
Mr. Mom

You're making it hard on yourself!

Awesome flies! Especially considering you're just starting to play with the pattern! The only tip I would give, and it's not a critique, is to start using ultra-hair, and not bucktail while you are perfecting your version of the fly. It's so much easier to learn the shaping of the epoxy because with ultra-hair there are no "wild hairs" :-) once you get it down, go back to bucktail and you will be amazed how you can duplicate what you did with the synthetics with the bucktail.
Old 11-18-2002, 02:52 PM

Re: You're making it hard on yourself!

Quote:
Originally posted by Philster
Awesome flies! Especially considering you're just starting to play with the pattern! The only tip I would give, and it's not a critique, is to start using ultra-hair, and not bucktail while you are perfecting your version of the fly. It's so much easier to learn the shaping of the epoxy because with ultra-hair there are no "wild hairs" :-) once you get it down, go back to bucktail and you will be amazed how you can duplicate what you did with the synthetics with the bucktail.
Thanks
For the tip, going to the fly shop this afternoon for Ultra Hair, anxicious to give it a try, will let you know the results.
Joe
Old 11-18-2002, 03:23 PM
BB5 Survivor

for smaller ones, you might look into "fly fur" aka troll hair...this stuff swims a little better than ultrahair, but the downside is the
short length...

-j
Old 11-18-2002, 04:31 PM

Thumbs up

JOE, cant wait to get mine. if your looking to QUICK SET epoxie use 5 min it will help you set the FORM then you can coat it w/regular stuff.
"GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN"
Old 11-18-2002, 05:51 PM
President of CAC

..... also try "unique hair" which is like ultra hair only a thinner strand... I have used Polar fiber,and other synthetics... just be sure to apply the epoxy in one direction... a thing that can be forgotten... you can get away with it with ultra hair...but do it with polar fiber or rabbit and you have to start over. I think Fly fur is very similar to polar fiber
Old 11-18-2002, 10:36 PM

Re: Re: You're making it hard on yourself!

Quote:
Originally posted by joe wojtan

Thanks
For the tip, going to the fly shop this afternoon for Ultra Hair, anxicious to give it a try, will let you know the results.
Joe

Went out this afternoon, looking for Ultra Hair, neither of the two Fly Shop that I do most of my business with, do not stock it, they like Striblue suggested Unique Hair, they assured me that there is not much differance between the two, so I purchased a few colors, and sometime this week, I will give it a try.
Thank for all your help.
Joe
Old 11-18-2002, 10:43 PM
President of CAC

Here's another thing I do... I always use a bodkin to mix my epoxy and don't put it on any kind of paper...If you want bubble free epoxy use the bodkin and a glass sheet, say from an old picture frame... after the epoxy drys you can scape it off with a razor of scaper of some sort... You can pull the epoxy off your bodkin with a little pair of plyers. These two things will keep the air out of your mixture....for sure.
Old 11-19-2002, 10:28 AM
Fluff

Two things:
1. A: Unique Hair is much more 'user friendly', due to it's finer diameter; it doesn't bulk up as quickly as the other stuff, allowing for a very streamlined profile. Unique Hair also seems to find it's own perfect 'taper' at the tail end of a sand lance (eel), if drawn out by hand before applying to a hook.

B: Unique Hair colors 'blend' easier, allowing the tyer to build a more transparent, 'see through', body.

C: Re; Fly Fur or "Troll Hair" - I agree with Jared, it's neat stuff. Within the last two years, somebody tied a baitfish/bunker pattern for a swap, black over blue over white, with google eyes, with Troll Hair.

2. A: In the past several weeks, I've found a epoxy called "Super Poxy" by "Power Poxy". One minute set-up (in my experience, I've had it stay liquid about 1 1/2 mins, then it gels quickly and kicks right away. You might get two-three mins total work time out of a small batch). Clear finish, seems somewhat more flexible after kicking than five minute, suggests it's waterproof, under $2.00 at WallyWorld (already checked two HD's and it isn't there). Great for applying the eyes to the wonderful creations arising from Striblue's coffee induced late night tying blitzes

B: Five Minute Epoxy is not waterproof. We've talked about this over and over again here and other places. It is fine to use for body building IF you coat the five-minute body with a longer setting type afterward. Also, it will yellow over time without an overcoat of something like thirty minute epoxy or Hard As Nails or whatever.

C: Super Poxy holds those Google Eyes on very well.

D: If you want to form a epoxy body with your fingers, have a dip-bath of warm water or Isopropyl alcohol on your bench for your fingertips - dip and form, dip and form...

E: Glass is far superior to other mixing tables in a fixed space. Rather than pulling epoxy off your bodkin with pliers, take a pill bottle, shove a copper pot scrubber inside it and push the tip of your bodkin needle in and out through the copper.

Last edited by DFix; 11-19-2002 at 10:33 AM.
Old 11-19-2002, 01:58 PM

DFIX, ALL GOOD TIPS, BUT I don't have my flys long enough for them to YELLOW, after a few trips, they seem to end up in outher guys fly boxes, an have to tie new ones. Ill check my truck I know there are a some in one of my left in my bag. QUESTION how long does it take for epoxy to YELLOW. might look good an a shrimp pattem.
give him the old aged look. HOLD on Im going to look ! Ok, I found one thats been in here from MARCH of last 2001, last time I tied a bunch of this patten. Id sai it was YELLOWED W/ AGE
'GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	epoxy shrimp.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	1032  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.