A good begining! - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-15-2002, 12:35 PM

Smile A good begining!

Just wondering if any of you have any explanations for a bright chrome wild steelhead hen caught this morning by a good friend,(guess who). Fish loaded with sea lice and as bright as a front bumper of a new 1957 cadillac coupe de ville. We were caught by surprise and as he was fighting the fish we were discussing the BBQ. We sure were surprised at what we had when I tailed it. She swam off as happy as could be and the BBQ will not have a fire in it tonight.

Could this be an early native winter fish, a late summer fish just arriving or could it be some type of new situation where maybe last years run did not show up because of good ocean conditions and have decided to start showing up this year early? We sure had fun speculating as we had never in all our years steelhead fishing caught a fresh wild fish this early.

Hope you all have as much luck as we did on our first day of winter fishing throughout the entire season.
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2002, 12:55 PM
LBFF Mojo

You are killing me...Congrats guys.Sounds to me like an early winter fish even though it is only mid November.

Just had to send my new T&T back because a guide was crushed during shipping. Still going be another couple weeks at least before I get out there. Soon though and I hope your early catch is a sign of good things to come this winter.

-sean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2002, 03:03 PM

I'd guess a winter fish and...

it could be an indication of a strong run to come! A big tail on the early end of the bell curve....

Or it could just be plain ol' good luck!

In either case it's a good thing! Congrats!
Old 11-15-2002, 07:37 PM
Coednakedspey

Many rivers that have Summer runs and Winter runs, from my understanding, tend to have Steelhead returning in almost every month of the year. There may be a strong June/July component which would be called the Summer runs, and a December/January component which would traditionally have been the bulk of the Winter runs, but in all the other monthes there are fresh fish trickling in as well. I think of this as one life history adaption that the Steelhead utilize. That's what I know anyways.
Old 11-15-2002, 11:46 PM
Pullin' Thread

OC,

Glad you guys got one of these fish.

I caught one on the Cascade 4 years ago in the middle of November, a hen of about 12 pounds that had sea lice around its vent. It surprised me because I never expected to find a wild, fresh steelhead that far upriver from the saltchuck with sea lice in mid November. My wife, who was fishing with me, already had the BBQ lit as I was fighting this beautiful fish. She was both happy to see such a bright, wild fish and unhappy too because she really wanted to eat a steelhead.

This fish that I caught was sleek and long like a summer fish, unlike the thicker and shorter winter fish I've caught in the Cascade.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.