Fairfield CT - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2002, 02:37 PM

Fairfield CT

Fished the Norwalk area Saturday night on the low incoming tide. Left the fly box in the boat so I made do with a spinning rod and still came up empty. On the walk back with my night light on I saw numerous big fish come right by me in about 12-16 inches of water. Was I fishing to deep? I guess so. I managed a few casts with a small popper but no takers.

Sunday 11/10,

Fished Jenning Beach in Fairfield... lots of Birds and Bait but nothing seemed to be underneath. I was informed that earlier in the day there was some nice fish around but they must have known I would be there and moved off.

I will be up that way again, weather permitting. Anyone want to join? Could take the boat or walk the beach. Let me know because I would like one or two more on the fly before the fat lady sings down here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2002, 03:15 PM

Mike,

I might be interested in meeting up with you for one last shot before the fat lady sings. Sounds like things have slowed down considerably there. How far is the put-in from the Boston area?

Big Dave
Old 11-12-2002, 07:46 PM
Secret:Time on the water

Mike,
Next time you are in that situation with fish in that skinny water at night put on a black swimmer like a Mambo Minnow in 5" size and hold on!!! I bet if you had thrown that at them you would have caught some of those big fish for sure. Stillplenty of fish in the Milford area, was out this morning and caught countless fish in the 16-24" size. They were on top periodically but down deep most of the time, a sinking line and clouser were the ticket to the fights, I also jigged them with soft plastics as well as poppers and swimmers. They pretty much would hit anything you chucked at them. Fun stuff but small fish. It started raining about mid-morning lightly, I stayed out until around 1:00 pm. when the rain got too heavy and I called it a day. Ran into another school of fish on the way into the harbor and caught few more before I racked the boat. BigDave if you want to come down it is going to be another hour or more from where we met earlier in the fall for you to get down here. There are plenty of fish still in attendence so it is your call plan on small fish but hope for big fish, my last big fish was Sunday 37" er on an eel first thing in the morning. I am working all weekend so I won't be able to get out at all this weekend but that is a good thing as I need to get back to work. Got a temperary gig doing a hardware migration for JP Morgan/Chase bank, this should last until the end of the year hopefully and give me some needed experience so that I can nail down a permanent job in the computer arena.

Tightlines,
Mike M.

P.S. Mike I am hoping to get out on Thurs. in the boat with another guy from StripersOnline.com who lives in Branford if you want to come up this way and tag along let me know. Three guy's in the boat is a little crowded but can be done as long as we are all spin fishing and maybe a little flyfishing from the bow or you can bring your boat up and follow me around and get the lay of the land.
Old 11-13-2002, 08:45 AM

DAMN!

Mike,

I would love to but I am in a bit of a pickle since one of our Sales team will be out leaving just me in the office in Thursday. Will you be out on another day?? I really need to get out in a bad way. The boat has been calling my name and its hard to resist. I think we should have a little longer if the weather holds out.

What's your schedule look like in the near future?? I have some vacation days I need to use or loose so please let me know other than Thursday when we could meet up. I will glady drive the boat to Saybrook or you could meet me in Norwalk.. your call. The only downside is my Sonar and GPS have not been hooked up yet ( saving it for a winter project ). I have the charts and some pretty good knowledge of the water so coupled with your extensive experience and my willinness to learn I think we could stand a shot and some real pigs or at least a boat load of schoolies. If we take my boat 2 guys could fly fish with ease and 1 could spin fish and then rotate. Sound good?? Let me know.
Old 11-13-2002, 08:48 AM

Sox...

Bigdave,

I think its a solid 3 hour run from Bean Town. Although the boat would be great the beaches are doing pretty well to down here..... and then there is always the Hudson?? Anyway let me know the story because I would really like to get out if possible.
Old 11-14-2002, 08:27 AM

BigDave Sunday

Bigdave,

Weather report is showing a Nor-Easter coming for Saturday and Sunday!!! Damn the Weather Gods and their plans to foil every weekend fishing excursion I plan!!
Old 11-14-2002, 08:29 AM

Mike - I noticed that too. Proabably for the best if we're in for brutal weather. You ought to take a ride up to Pulaski instead. The fish up there LOVE the rain

Thanks for the invite. Hope we can hook up some other time.

Dave
Old 11-14-2002, 08:37 AM

Pulaski!

Not a bad call Dave. I could make it there in 4 1/2 hours. Have you been up there?? I may run there soon depending on conditions. Any good reports??
Old 11-14-2002, 08:45 AM

Mike,

I fished between there and Oak Orchard for 6 days last week. Check my report on the GL Salmon/Steelhead board. If you can plan your trip to coincide with some precipitation it is probably worth the drive. As you probably know, nice days = big crowds and spooky fish. Ex: 2 sundays ago (snow) there were 6 cars in the dsr lot and lots of fresh chromers. Last saturday (warm) there were 125 people in there before 8 am and I had one hookup for the day.
Old 11-14-2002, 09:30 AM

Push

Dave,

So you know the fishing is not even close to over for me for the Linesides. If you are interested I am waiting for the BIG push of Cows to come into the Hudson River. There was a little trickle about a week ago but when I tell you 40-100 fish days are not uncommon in the fall with fish that range from 8-30lbs are all common too common. If you are interested I will keep you posted and you could probably drive or take the train to Stanford CT and I could pick you up there and then go get the boat. Last year on Dec 1st I pounded more stripers in 5 hours than I did most of the season. It can and will be good soon and as long as the weather stays mild for a little while longer they will come soon.
Old 11-14-2002, 09:35 AM

Mike,

Count me in next time you're looking for company. The drive is no problem and I still have some vacation time to burn before the end of the year. Would love to join you and bang a few more bucketmouths before the end of the year.

Dave
Old 11-15-2002, 09:08 AM
Secret:Time on the water

Mike and Dave,
I went out yesterday with the boat for a couple of hours and got 2 schoolies for my efforts. The spots around my neck of the woods were very barren, didn't mark the fish I have been marking lately. I took the boat all the way down to Fairfield and the Sunken Island area, and didn't even mark any fish at all. It was very dead! I decided to rack the boat for the season with the impending forecast of another storm for this weekend and my having to work this weekend I decided it was time to mothball the boat till next year. Got her all cleaned up and now just have to winterize and then cover the boat for the winter. So from here on out I will be shore bound or hitching with someone who still has a boat ready to go. Mike I should be able to do something next week during the week, lets talk about it and see if we can get a decent day next week to go out and give it a shot. I am pretty familar with the waters around Norwalk and also the waters up by me so we can hit all of the usual spots without a fishfinder and more than likely find some fish. Let me know what your schedule looks like and we can make up a plan.

Tightlines,
Mike M.
Old 11-15-2002, 10:35 AM

You Got it

Mike,

You got it. I know alot of the area pretty well myself but as the saying goes.. Two heads are better than one. Maybe the lack of fish is due to the changes in barometric pressure from these storms??

My understanding is that they are still hitting good fish in RI around Newport Beach!! Also my friends cousin hit a 50lb fish on a surface plug out in LI. Holy big fish Batman!

The reports I'm getting is that the big push has not happened yet and to get ready for one last stand as weather starts to get cooler. Fill me in on your shedule Mike and we will head out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.