Renzetti or Dyna King - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-12-2002, 12:20 PM

Renzetti or Dyna King

Hi All,
I know this question is probably unanswerable but, the salmon season over here does not start till January, I require some "retail therapy " to releive my depression. It's either that or a letter to Santa.

Malcolm

www.speygillie.co.uk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2002, 02:59 PM

Malcolm

I'm a Renzetti traveller guy for almost ten years, but the Dyna Kings look good. Mine is still ticking with no problems after probably a couple thousand of flies.

Good luck in your decision.

Is it time for another AS swap yet ?

Best

Hal
Old 11-12-2002, 06:16 PM

I've had a Renzetti Traveler since I began tying both fresh and saltwater flies six years ago. Now that I'm tying so many saltwater flies and so few fresh, I wish I had not only the Saltwater model but the cam model. The saltwater hooks always slip and when tying numerous flies at a sitting, my thumb and index fingers get mashed tightening the knobs to secure the hooks. Unfortunately, to upgrade this model would be too expensive. I'd definitely recommend the saltwater model if that's your main area of interest.
Old 11-12-2002, 08:13 PM
President of CAC

Willie, I have the Renzetti Traveler and Master but frankly, I think both the Dyna-king and Renzetti are comparable... if you buy the high end you pay less for the top line Dyna-king than you would for the Master... But the Dyna-king, especially for heavey duty saltwater flies is hard to beat... Watched Enrico Puglisi..put a 3/0 hook in the jaws..lock it down and then bend the hook with his fingers almost in two... without the hook springing out. I know I can not do that with the Master.
Old 11-13-2002, 02:36 AM

Renzetti or Dyna King

Guys,
A Renzetti or Dyna King, a tough call and an interesting question but not really one that might produce a definitive answer. Both vices are fine quality tools, and I suspect if one is going to invest this kind of cash you really can't go that far wrong. It may come down to something as simple as what you like because it just feels right.

I've had the folks at Dyna King upgrade my early production series Dyna King Pro when they've introduced new features I like, and I don't believe I'll ever out grow this vice. It has served all my tying needs quite well for some time now, and the holding power of its jaws are what does it for me. Nothing worse than having a hook slip when you're trying to work quickly. John
Old 11-13-2002, 06:15 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to 2HandTheSalt
I have the Barracuda and think it is the best vice in the world, with the exception of the Renzetti Master. It is much more solid than the Traveler.

JMO

I think that buying a fine vise was one of the best fly fishing investments I have ever made. It is very cheap when you consider how much use you will get out of it in a lifetime.
Old 11-14-2002, 02:28 AM
Pullin' Thread

As I've posted before, either the Renzetti or the Dyna King are what I consider to be the best vises available today. I bought a Dyna King Baracuda 5 or 6 years ago (when they first became available) because they have the best jaws in the business. The hook pockets will securely hold any hook you will use for steelhead, atlantic salmon, saltwater, bass, pickerell, musky, northern pike, panfish, or trout. I have tied somewhere near 50,000 flies (mostly steelhead) on this vise since I bought it and it shows no signs of wear.

It is far better (and cheaper in the long run) to buy the best tool for the job than to regret it later when you find the limitations or problems with the cheaper or less well built one.
Old 11-14-2002, 08:20 AM

I know that no one asked, but if you can, you should have a look at the Abel as well.
Old 11-14-2002, 09:30 AM
Jonesin...

Abel

They just reduced the price of the Abel down to $399 if that affects your decision.

Sean
Old 11-14-2002, 02:52 PM

You were supposed to make life easier

not more complicated.
Abel vises? do they do a full rotary? are they as good?.

I had almost decided on a Dyna-king Barracuder. Then my next worry was where to buy one they are $450 this side of the pond.

Malcolm

www.speygillie.co.uk
Old 11-14-2002, 03:16 PM

Malcolm

All of the US fly fishing tackle I saw in England and Zurich was almost twice the price of here in the states a few years ago.

Take a fishing vacation over here and load up on our cheap U.S. prices like my swiss friends do.

I am sure you can find a dental fly fishing convention of some interest some wheres here.

Hal
Old 11-14-2002, 03:32 PM
Flats Rat

I'm a Renzetti fan but the Dyna King looks like superb piece of engineering also!

One thought, whilst both companies offer full tube fly vices in addition to the standrad types, Renzetti also offers a tube fly accessory which fits their traveller model.
Old 11-14-2002, 04:36 PM

The Abel is full rotary and has a jaw height adjustment like the Barracuda. It is the best of both in many ways. Lowered price? I think that alot more people will use this vice now.
Old 11-14-2002, 09:16 PM

Renzetti or Dyna King

Malcolm,
Since Dyna King is so expensive on your side of the pond, you might care to do a bit of plastic card shopping over here via the web. Here's a link to Dyna King's US dealers. Thanks for lending our economy a lift mate. JB:hehe:

http://www.dyna-king.com/dealers.asp?pv=4
Old 11-14-2002, 09:40 PM
Pullin' Thread

Eddie,

The Abel is a very well built vise; however, it does not have nearly as much clearance between the jaw and the vise stem as the Renzetti or Dyna King Baracuda simply because the jaw arm is quite a bit shorter. Not a problem with trout flies, but it does create a problem if tying larger salmon, steelhead, or saltwater flies. Also, the Abel jaws are not nearly as useful or thoughtfully designed as the Dyna King's double hook pocket jaws. And it is also at least $70.00 more than the Baracuda as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.