Mystic River Boston observation - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2002, 11:18 AM

Mystic River Boston observation

Sunday I was cruising down 93 toward Beantown. As I crossed the Mystic R. at Medford (pronounced "Medfa") I noticed birds over something. Probably herring or alewives (is there a difference really?) going unmolested. But I wouldn't doubt some schoolies might winter over or hang out late in the rivers. Wish I coulda pulled into that park on the Mystic Valley Parkway. No time.

Lefty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2002, 12:29 PM

Re: Mystic River Boston observation

Quote:
Originally posted by Lefty
I wouldn't doubt some schoolies might winter over or hang out late in the rivers.

Lefty
I think you may be on to something here. On the way to work late last fall, driving over the Mystic R. on McGrath Hwy, I observed some kind of blitz going on by the marina. Birds everywhere. Wish I could have pulled over and checked it out but was running late.

Might be worth a look for you yakkers out there.

BigDave
Old 11-20-2002, 12:47 PM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick
I saw birds passing over the river near the Meadow Glen Mall last year. I passed it off as someone tossing a bag of chips or something in the water. Should have reconsidered. I did catch a 33" bass about 5 mins downriver from there (below the locks) last spring during the herrring run. No reason I could see of the fish not going beyond the locks.

Nick
Old 11-20-2002, 12:51 PM

Nick,

I work 5 minutes from Meadow Glen Mall. May have to pick your brains about the location you mentioned below the locks for some spring lunchtime missions
Old 11-21-2002, 08:45 AM

BigDave

Have any free time coming to head out ??
Old 11-21-2002, 08:49 AM

Hi Mike,

Absolutely. My band has a gig this weekend so I'm kind of tied up but I can usually get a weekday off work. Next Friday and or Saturday might be good for me Nov 29/30.

How has the Hudson bite been?

Dave
Old 11-21-2002, 08:57 AM

Hey Dave,

What kind of music you playin? I'm playing Irish trad. Mostly open sessions in town, but a few gigs here and there. During fishing season I play very little due to the fishing obsession. Now it's the other way around. Reels and rods are cleaned and packed away- Fretted instruments are out and being abused heavily.

Lefty
Old 11-21-2002, 09:07 AM

Lefty - I love Irish trad. Used to spend a lot of time at the Burren on tuesday nights w/a guiness in hand.

I play guitar in a rock band. Primarily originals but we will cover a Black Crowes tune from time to time. The gig is at SkyBar in Porter Sq. on Sat at 10pm. We play TT's and a few other places too - once every month or 2 keeps it fun.

Nothing wrong with abusing fretted instruments - beats the hell out of watching TV when it's nasty outside.

Dave

Old 11-21-2002, 01:21 PM
Shark Bait

Hey Dave! Not sure if you remember me, but we met at the LIght this summer. I live right behind the City Sports in Cambridge. Where's the Sky Bar?

Nick
Old 11-21-2002, 01:39 PM

Hi Nick,

Sure I remember you from this summer. That day was brutal - Stri and I fished SB and despite acres of Peanuts at our feet could not get a single hookup aside from a lunker crab. My first Chatham skunk of the year (not easily forgotten)

SkyBar is on Somerville ave. If you are coming from 16/fresh pond parkway, take a right on mass ave and then when mass ave splits at the Porter T station, take the left fork. SkyBar is about a mile down on your right - blue neon signs.

Dave
Old 11-21-2002, 01:43 PM

hudson bite

BD,

Hudson was on the other day with all the 6-8lb fish you could catch. With a little more rain they should be back. So much bait in the river now its crazy. Could also take a run Down the Hudson towards Manhattan.. here there are some fish down there too.
Old 11-21-2002, 03:44 PM
Shark Bait

That was a rough one!

Thanks for the insight, might have to stop by!

Nick

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.