Ontario Tribs Report - Page 2 - Fly Fishing Forum
Great Lakes Steelhead & Salmon Amazing "Inland ocean" fisheries

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-14-2002, 01:10 PM
removed_by_request

Lower p does not compare, something about seeing moose cross the road instead of deer that awes me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2002, 12:44 PM

steelhead rivers are better and there are bigger fish in LP though, thats why the UPs, Minnesota, Cheese heads, hoosiers, Illini, and every one else come to LP.
Old 12-15-2002, 03:03 PM
removed_by_request

If better means a drift boat every 15 minutes and fisherman lining the banks then I will take the U.P.

Quality not quantity my man. guess we have different objectives.
Old 12-15-2002, 08:49 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to dansteelieman
just my $0.02

I would have to say that there is something about the numbers and quality of fish in the LP, and the fish are bigger(which I would never turn down). With Lake Michigan sustaining "perfect" temps throughout the year, it is a steelhead utopia! It allows fish to grow big, and many of the fish are wild. Lake Huron is unique as well. The many rivers and streams that littler the shorline can be void or full of fish, and it is always an adventure. Plus, there are many "no name" streams that harbor wild steelhead that have succesfully spawned. The abundance of forage in Lake Michigan and Lake Huron is incredible. Smelt, perch and alewives are a large part of the diet of Lk Huron and Lk Michigan fish. Yeah so you have crowds at times, but many times you can be by yourself, especially in the remote destinations.

For the UP and Superior north shore....well, it has quality fish as well. What I mean by this is for example, the Erie tributaries. There is little natural reproduction, and fish are smaller but they have numbers or quanity. No doubt..... most Lk Superior fish are wild. Lake Superior does not have as many baitfish, and steelhead tend to feed on invertebrate, mysis shrimp, and smaller numbers of baitfish. They have a shorter growing season, and it takes Superior fish longer to grow. You can always expect to have some steelhead running into later june, and that potential of steel on a dry is possible. You usually are fishing along with wolves, bear and moose...that is neat! There are little crowds, local dinners, and you probably hear "how's the fishin' eh'.... from the locals!

Hey, it is all what you prefer....:hehe:

For me, I will find my tranquilty at my home....the beach!
Old 12-16-2002, 09:15 AM

Thats right Dan you can have all of the beachs to your self in the early morning especially, nothing like you and the big lake surf at dawn.

Mark, you can have tranquility and solitude on the LP rivers, you just need to know when and where to go. If you go during the height of the runs well that is what you are going to get. Also having to get up at 4 AM to claim your spot on the river is something I care not to do any more. At one time yes, I would do that, but not any more. Heck I used to hike 2 miles through the woods and high banks cross the river 3 times in the dark to get a couple of spots before any one else. When I got there I was sweating and the heart was pounding etc... God only knows how I ever fished.

The fish are not so important any more, but the fishing and chance for a quiet day of solitude in the outdoors is what is important to me.

North shore of Superior looks mighty tempting though to me.
Old 12-16-2002, 09:33 AM
removed_by_request

Dan could not have said this better "You can always expect to have some steelhead running into later june, and that potential of steel on a dry is possible. You usually are fishing along with wolves, bear and moose...that is neat! There are little crowds, "

I am no run fisherman, hate crowds and discovered week day fishing back in 1984. When the streams were full of fish and no fisherman any time. weekdays or weekends.

Only one truly huge Steelhead strain in Lake Mi. , Skamanias. problem with them is high mortality rate and way too many fisherman.

If I had a choice I'd fish as far north as possible, sometimes I can't, but when I do it is the most enjoyable fishing I ever had.

You need to try it you may just like it.
Old 12-16-2002, 10:21 AM

Yep, I agree I know I would like it.

Maybe in 2003 a camping and canoe trip, planning needs to start soon.

BTW, if there is even just a 20% probability of catching a GL steelie on a dry I would give it a go. That has been a career objective for a long time. Have to talk to the guides about that at the show, that is one endevor I would consider hiring the right guide to accomplish the task. However, I bet you would need several days to accomplish it during the prime periods for drys when they are in the rivers and the air temp is greater than the water temps.

Pm Out

Last edited by pmflyfisher; 12-16-2002 at 10:36 AM.
Old 12-16-2002, 10:48 AM
removed_by_request

Steel on dries, ah yes.

Bets fish to do it on Skamania, I have senn them smash floats.

You do have a chance in the UP to peg a steelie on dries, especially in the St. Marys. Rivers holds a bunch of fish year round. May even get an Atlantic to pop up and slurp one off the top.
Old 12-16-2002, 11:54 AM

Please don't say any more I am getting too excited.

Pm Out
Old 12-16-2002, 02:26 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to dansteelieman
geeze...

This has made me really excited, and I really would love to take a fish on a dry. It will have to wait, as the opportunities here are slim...

Well, that is my next goal for sure!
Old 12-16-2002, 03:44 PM

Some michigan fly fishers were saying on the net this fall they caught some on drys, but who knows what the truth is.

Dave Richey the Out door writer for the Detroit Press who has fished michigan steelhead since the 70s, and was one of the first great lakes steelhead guides and author (i have his book on steelheading) stated he has never had one rise to a dry fly, now that tells you something.

PM Out
Old 12-16-2002, 06:41 PM
removed_by_request

Skamanias wil come up, they are the most agressive of all. Target fish that hit the rivers in May (before h2o is too hot).

When I spinner fished i would wake the spinners ala bass fishing, those darn fish would rip the rod out of my hand.

I have since given up on summer-runs, mortality rate is too high for my likes.

I could see a St. marys steelhead rise to a waked fly in July or August.

that river is a strange fishery, and I mean strange in a good way.
Old 12-16-2002, 06:46 PM

There's a local MNR biologist who apparently specializes in taking steelies on a dry. The temps have to be up and the water conditions right but, apparently, it can be done.

BTW, the Grand (ON) is fishing pretty good. A couple of weeks ago at Caledonia, a float rodder took five out of one run while a group of spey rodders hooked into four or five. This area has seen an 18 pounder and a 21 pounder taken over the past few weeks. My luck has been a bit more modest with the cooling temps but on Friday, I did get a couple of strikes - one a good thump, the other that maddening pluck, pluck.

Since the river is quite broad at this point, they do get spread out except at the foot of the dam. It's a hard to work the dam area with a fly but the float rodders do pretty good.
Old 12-16-2002, 07:05 PM
removed_by_request

Those bloody float rodders are amazing. Fish are drawn to them like a magnet.
Old 12-16-2002, 07:08 PM

21 pounder !! , the largest I have seen on the end of my line are a couple of 15 pounders heading back to Lake Michigan with my fly.

Saw a big one once in a PM log jam I could have sworn was a 20 LB. Iwas shaking so bad I could not get a fly presented to him though before he moved on.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.