Fishing Gloves - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2002, 08:25 AM
FFF CCI

Fishing Gloves

OK, how many of you use them?

If so, what style do you like, the cut off fingertip type or the ones with fold over mittens?

And, once they get wet from releasing a fish, do they dry out quickly and continue to keep your hands warm, or do they stay wet and uncomfortable to wear, forcing you to take them off and have cold hands again?

Are there any brands you recommend?

Thanks for sharing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2002, 11:51 AM
Mr. Mom

They get wet, and stay wet. Your hands look like a drowning victims at the end of the day. Do they keep your hands warm? YES! I tend to avoid them until I can't take the cold anymore, then I break down and put them on.

Kinds I've used:
Glacier glove (neoprene full hand with "flip down" finger and thumb)
Sage (fingerless, some kind of vinyl lined with fleece)
patagonia and simms (fingerless, mostly fleece with small patches of vinyl in grip areas)

Hate them... Use them...
Old 11-10-2002, 12:14 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I used to do a lot of winter run fishing sadly not anymore but have used the glacier gloves, fleece with grip pads, and ol' trusty rag wool fingerless with and without grip dots on the palms.

I've found the key to be removing the gloves before putting the hands in the water at all cost. Can't always do that, like when you need to quickly grab something you dropped, or catch yourself from slipping, but for the most part you can avoid the majority of glove wettings by simply removing them.

Another trick is to carry two pair in case one gets soaked. Like a new lease on life on a winter run morning.

The glaciers are warmest but the least comfortable after wetting. The fleece are nice and light, less insulating, but dry pretty quick. Rag wool is the best after wetting of all. My favorite of all time are the 2 layer thin ply rag wool fingerless with the little brown rubber dots on the palms for grip. I lost one and they are hard to find.

BTW - if anyone sees them for sale anywhere pls drop me a line.
Old 11-10-2002, 12:14 PM

I don't like to use any kind of gloves either as the lint from the wool gloves gets caught up in the reel. and I find that they really just get in the way. But what I'm looking for is those sun gloves that you wear in the summer to protect your hands from the sun.
Old 11-10-2002, 12:16 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

side note:

This highlights the benefit of fishing a DT or Grand Spey with tips in winter - since you can fish effectively without stripping up to say 80 or 90 feet you can wear full-fingered gloves while working a run.
Old 11-10-2002, 12:46 PM
flyfishing catarafter

Send a message via AIM to Steelheader69 Send a message via Yahoo to Steelheader69
Well

I do occasionally wear them, just depends on situation. I normally will use fingerless gloves by I do believe it's called "Kodiak". They have neopreme palms and fleece tops with velcro cinch at wrist. I normally don't pull them out unless it's snowing or damned cold. They work well, and not too bad wet either. But, I'm normally running sticks most of time, so blood is pumping anyways. LOL
Old 11-10-2002, 12:53 PM

Use the simms fleece /fingerless they dry quick as Juro stated.

Also have rag wool fingerless and another light pair of full finger light polar tec gloves in the vest.

Always have multiple pairs of gloves when cold water fishing otherwise you may have to abort time on the river due to cold hands, a real downer.

Yes can spey with full finger gloves as I did a little bit of this spring without stripping line in. That is a huge advantage of the spey and makes you more productive on the river, more casts deeper, probable more fish hook ups, etc..

Maybe its time to start another discussion on winter steelheader clothes and waders etc... Just bought some new underwear and fleece pants to use with breathable waders this year in place of the neopemes. Want to see how they work out in our cold water and air conditions out here in great lakes.

PNW air temps warmer than ours for the most part.
Old 11-10-2002, 08:25 PM
Pullin' Thread

I have used several differnt types of gloves for winter fihing. I find myself consistently going back to the medium weight rag wool fingerless (really half-finger) that I was introduced to by my father way back in the 1960's. They keep you hands warm even when wet. And despite your best efforts, there are times here in the PNW that your hands will get very wet simply because it is raining a good one. The fleece glves I've used were fine until they got soaked, then they do not insulate as wet wool does. In fact, I seem to recall reading somewhere that wet wool actually produces some heat simply because it is wet.

Last edited by flytyer; 11-10-2002 at 10:27 PM.
Old 11-10-2002, 08:38 PM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
I have a strong preference for those totaly fingerless Simms gloves...too bad Simms discountinued them after 2001.

I've got a couple pairs and they allow me full movement (which is great when I am fishing the baitcaster), are cheap and are easy to flip up if you need to dunk your hand.

They really nothing more then a piece of fleece with a a couple holes in them to keep them in place...they cover just the back of my hand, yet keep as warm as any other glove on the maret.
Old 11-10-2002, 09:48 PM

Always remove your gloves before handling fish. Alot of gloves especially the wool ones I prefer are very adept at removing the fishes protective layer of slime. Without this slime the fish are very susceptable all sorts of diseases. I'm sure we all have seen steelhead with a ring of fungus around the wrist of the tail caused by improper handling.

BWO
Old 11-11-2002, 10:57 AM

Agree, when and if I ever land them, I have seen some steelheaders with a plastic surgical glove to handle the fish, what do you think of that ?
Old 11-11-2002, 04:09 PM
brookie! where?

Send a message via AIM to SDHflyfisher Send a message via MSN to SDHflyfisher
neoprene with cut off finger only use gloves in colder weather

http://www.danica.com/flytier/shansen/shansen.htm
Old 11-11-2002, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pmflyfisher
Agree, when and if I ever land them, I have seen some steelheaders with a plastic surgical glove to handle the fish, what do you think of that ?

pmflyfisher,

I cannot see what the difference would be between a bare wet hand and a wet surgical glove. I suppose if your wife doesn't like the smell of fish on your hands the glove would take care of it.

BWO
Old 11-11-2002, 11:54 PM

GLOVES

I use them. Hot Shots, neoprene, with the fingers cut down to about 1 inch remaining. With a good net , all your touching is the fly anyway, right?
I keep them in my chest pack, put them on when my hands get cold, when the blood starts flowing, I take them off. They dont get in the way.
On the subject, Ive found a Starbucks napkin in the vest pocket is a must, dont leave home without one!
Deerhawk
Old 11-12-2002, 08:41 AM
LT 20

Sage Tech

I have a pair of Sage Tech I like a lot. Picked them up a the Lower Forty Fly Shop in Worcester on sale.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.