Catherwood Giant Killer - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Striper (etc) Flies Tricks of the trade

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2002, 10:45 PM
President of CAC

Catherwood Giant Killer

After comming back from UFT in Burlington, and having sat next to Bill Catherwood and watching him tie the "Griant Killer" , I tried to do the same. Interestingly this is an easy fly to tie...Just 4 of 5 Marabou plums tied on top at the bend of the hook... 4 or 5 Hackles, this one Olive , on each side at the top then covered with two green over that... then 4 clumps of deer hair ,two different colors of green.... after 4 applications, and make them bulky and thick, I tie in eyes. I did not have his type of eyes but stoped at "Michaels" and picked up the same size glass beads and pins... Gued the pins in the bead, bent the pin to a 90% angle as he does and tied the bent shaft in, which suspended the eye firmly in place, then another clump of deer hair in front...be sure not to spin the hair, but just tie it in and pull down without spinning. I also decided to put some prim eyes on top of the bead and epoxied around it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc00984.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	1000  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2002, 07:11 PM
deeply obsessed fly-guy

Cool Giant Killer

John,

Truly AWESOME!

That puppy's going to need a case all by itself.

Beautiful work...please keep posting.

Best regards,

-Doc
Old 11-09-2002, 07:23 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

NICE! Is that a 6/0 hook?

(thanks for including the pattern)
Old 11-09-2002, 09:04 PM
President of CAC

Yes... it's a 6/0 Trey Combs Big Game.. the #2 fly is a 7/0... I did not put the directions in the #2 fly post since it is the same as this one... But I will be sure to include all recepies going forward...once the archive is up graded I will put in tying directions in those where I have not. I will call you at home tomorrow.
Old 11-10-2002, 08:33 AM

John

Those would be good musky and northern pike flies with a little smaller hook, what species are they intended for in salt water ?

Hal
Old 11-10-2002, 09:06 AM
President of CAC

Hal, Stripers would hit that and white ones should work on breaking Tuna. I will tye a white and light blue one today. I think smaller ones would work well, say on 2/0 or 3/0 hooks . even smaller for breaking albacore. I asked Catherwood about the depth these went and he stated that the Giant killer would only go to a depth of 12 to 18 inches on a constant strip. If weighted, no more than two feet. I don't use these much because thet are surface flies. But in Veverka's book Ted Lewis did a nice series of smaller ones that are his but look a lot like Catherwood's. I have some of Lewis's in the archives I did sometime ago. I thought that when I was watching him I learned a lot. I was the only guy camping out at hics desk with one other guy. Could not figure out why all these other tyers were busy tying different stuff at the many different tables when you have someone like Catherwood, for the first time, coming to UFT to show is technique... Oh well, all the better for me and the other guy.
Old 11-10-2002, 09:39 AM

There are some michigan brown trout river patterns in smaller sizes simiar to this which bring up the big browns. They are imitate cray fish and sculpins. Working on my lake michigan smelt patterns also so these give additional ideas to apply there.

Hal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.