misc equipment eye protection - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-28-2001, 08:06 PM

misc equipment eye protection

I fish quite often at night and forget to bring eye protection. Last summer I took a fly off my cheekbone a half inch from my eye. I will never fish without eye protection again. That said I found a great pair of safety glasses at walmart for about 6 bucks. They are very comfortable and functional. They are Smith & Wesson safety/shooting glasses. Give them a try.
Be safe Larry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2001, 08:47 PM
admin

My brother is an eye surgeon at Eye&Ear downtown. He stresses eye protection for fly fishermen. If you had seen what he has seen!

He told me that often it's not the fly that does the damage but the shards of glass. That's why I only wear polycarbonate, and have been a proponent of fishing the back cast for several years in a crosswind.

He also asked "what's that lure with the lead eyes?". >ugh<

Years ago I remember being on the side of a healthy discussion defending fishing the backward cast. Most of the rebuttal was against backward casting then (about 5 years ago?). Now it's common to see an entire row of anglers fishing their back casts. Years ago you used to hear >thwack< a lot when the fish were one way and the wind was coming over the casting shoulder. Now you don't hear the thuds and whacks very often, and when you do you know exactly why.

If you think about it, this is a major improvement in the way flyfishermen cope with wind.

KUDOS TO US!!!

BTW - There are certain aspects to backward casting that provide an advantage over forward casting.
Old 06-28-2001, 08:51 PM
President of CAC

At night I use a pair of safty glasses just like the kind you describe.
Old 06-28-2001, 09:11 PM

I never got comfortable fishing the backcast. I am fortunate that I can cast almost as well with both hands. It's a great skill especially in a boat.
Larry
Old 06-28-2001, 09:16 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Sharfreak -

That is the ultimate approach to dealing with adversity! I vowed that I would learn both sides, but haven't been disciplined. I often go lefty until I catch a fish to force me to practice, but I tend to do it only when the fishing is easy enough to prevent "wasting time".

The fact is, it's a great use of time and I wish I had switched since I started casting so that I was workable from both sides.

I can fish streams either side but double-hauling the long line is not something I can do from either side.

Many Spey casts are reasonably easy to do from either side.
Old 06-29-2001, 05:59 AM

I agree, I ran into one of the Rhodey Fly Rodders one night and after I pulled him out from under my truck (joking, joking) I noted he was wearing safety glasses. I keep meaning to throw a pair in my chest pack. Will do tonight.

Roop
Old 06-29-2001, 08:01 AM

I tell people almost daily to use eye protection for all kinds of (non-occupational) things: chippers in the yard, skilsaws, hacksawing those rusted bolts off of the muffler, etc. Same for hearing protection- a little effort can go a long way...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.