Bimimi Twist - Fly Fishing Forum
Lines, Loops and Leaders Line / Leader Recipes, Loops, Splices, etc.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-22-2001, 07:27 PM

Unhappy Bimimi Twist

After 8 spools of monofilament and endless knots, I still can't tie this #$@%^&* knot...
I make it to the "HOLD TAG END AT 90 DEGREE ANGLE TO THE STANDING PART" then it's all down hill from there.
Is there a trick-of-the-trade that I am missing? I want to use this for heavy fish, but I can not master it yet.
Please offer your suggestions.
mayflyman
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2001, 08:21 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Aaaw, the bimini twist. It can be a very decptive knot to tie; however, it is not as difficult at it initially appears to be once the fundamentals are rehearsed.

After the 20 twists and holding the tag end at a 90 degree angle, you must expand the loop and then let the 90 degree angle line rotate around the main line until it is complete at the bottom of the loop. It does take practice to insure the loops are tight against each other. The expansion of the loop in a deliberate fashion is the key to insuring the loops off the 90 degree line are correct.

Once you have the bimini twist completed, it is a good idea to put a lock in it. This is a three turn uni-knot at the end.

In case you don't have Lefty Kreh/Mark Sosin's book on knots, I suggest it in the strongest way.

Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2001, 09:51 PM
President of CAC

I know exactly what you mean. I smetimes will use the Bimini when fishing from a boat in deep water or big rips. I had to see someone actually do it before I could. Stand still directions are no good. The difficulty is getting the second wrap over the twists.I don't think I can explain it but I will try. After the 20 or so twists are made I put the the loop under my foot(not the knee as some directions state...it can slip), or on a door knob. I put the long end in my teeth and the standing end in my right thumb and forfinger at the so called 90 degree angle. I put tension on the line, keeping it tight between my teeth and foot and put my left forefinger at the botton on the twists. I start to pull up or compress the twists... from a foot or two up to about 2 inches.. when you can not compress anymore I slowly let go... very slow but with pressure as well on the standing end in my right hand... as you do that... and practice ...the second twists will "automatically" wrap around the first twists ...covering all of the first twists... then you finish the knot as discribed above.. the key is to keep all ends tight. I am sure this did not help. But once you get one or two second twists over the first twist... you will see the"feel". You may have to slightly increase or decrease the pressure in both hands as they SOLWLY wrap around to get tight rolls as they move up. At first you will not get tight rolls but you will start to get the "feel" you need to do it right. Good luck and ask someone to actually show you.

Last edited by striblue; 11-22-2001 at 10:02 PM.
Old 11-23-2001, 12:05 PM

Nothing beats firsthand demonstraition. Ask the local shop guys. The best instructions for this knot and most for that matter is Trey Combs' book "Blue Water Fly Fishing".
I find that it helps to get my toes and teeth involved. Big toe holds the loop(after 20 winds). One hand spreads out the loop(forcing the twists to turn). The tough part is guiding the tag down the spinning twists. Phew! Sorry, I can't help.Good luck.
Old 11-23-2001, 01:52 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Excellent book, bought one and had it signed by Trey at the Seattle FF expo the year it came out.

Maybe schoolie bluefin and shark are in the cards for 2002...
Old 10-30-2002, 04:56 PM
brookie! where?

Send a message via AIM to SDHflyfisher Send a message via MSN to SDHflyfisher
i know what you mean i can do it with braided lines but not mono

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.