Any Good Shops near the White River - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2002, 01:29 PM
Recent Member

Any Good Shops near the White River

I am planning a trip to Arkansas. Are there any really good Fly Shops near by?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2002, 02:00 PM
I remember sometimes...,

White River

I was down there a few years ago. Didn't use a guide.
I think the Bass Pro Shops in Springfield, MO, had a pretty decent information board. Perhaps you could contact them. They have an 800 # but, I don't remember the number.
I did stay at their Lodge on Smith Mountain Lake, which is just south of Branson, MO. We fished the lake (for bass) and drove about 1 hour down to the White River, in AR, for trout. There were lot's of bait fishermen there. I saw an add for a "Garstons White River Resort", I think they specialized in Flyfishing, since it said catch and release on the add, but I can't tell you if they were any good.
DK
Old 11-08-2002, 04:27 AM

There is Cane Island Fly Shop. They are located very close to Gastons ,on the White river , below the Bull Shoals Dam .
In Mountain Home , on the way to the North Fork river , there is Fulton's Blue Ribbon Fly Shop They are both good. Bring Olive Woolie Buggers 8-12 ,and Sow bugs gray, and sand colored 14-18 ,small split shot,and strike indicators. There are many other flies that are also effective.
These two patterns take a large percentage of the fish I catch down there every February.Gastons is a great place to stay, but they are not a flyfishing resort. 80-90 % of the guys down there fish hardware ,or bait.

Last edited by Domenic; 11-08-2002 at 04:32 AM.
Old 11-08-2002, 08:41 AM
Recent Member

Thanks
Old 11-16-2002, 07:37 PM
Recent Member

Send a message via Yahoo to krauseb
I'm working part time in a new full service fly shop on the White river. It's "The Fly Shop at Rim Shoals. 870-435-6144
Check out the web site www.rimshoals.com the fly shop is on the same property. After Thanksgiving we will be going to winter hours. Open Sat. & Sunday until 15 Feb.2003 The Fly Shop web site will be on line soon.
Bob.
Old 11-16-2002, 08:46 PM

You need to come pretty soon

It looks like you have gotten plenty of good information already. The better fly shops are Blue Ribbon and Cane Island. I haven't been by Gary's place at Rim in a while but they are on some good water. Most of the resorts are using winter rates now. The big plus is that the rivers are not nearly as crowed and the fishing is GREAT. Almost every trip I've guided lately people have caught some HUGE fish.

Last Sunday the lady I was guiding hooked a Brown that was around 35+lbs. I hooked one two weeks ago that must have been close to 50 lbs. Fish stories...I know...but if it means anything I caught one Thursday that tipped the scale a 9lb-12oz and it was only 26 inches. The fish are in really great shape with all the high water we have gotten this year. The 37 inch fish in my profile picture over there <<<<< would weigh better than 40 lbs right now.

John W. Wilson

Last edited by FlyFishAR; 11-17-2002 at 07:09 AM.
Old 11-16-2002, 10:02 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Quote:
Originally posted by krauseb
I'm working part time in a new full service fly shop on the White river. It's "The Fly Shop at Rim Shoals. 870-435-6144
Check out the web site www.rimshoals.com the fly shop is on the same property. After Thanksgiving we will be going to winter hours. Open Sat. & Sunday until 15 Feb.2003 The Fly Shop web site will be on line soon.
Bob.
It's OK to plug non-sponsors in this forum as long as you send an email (CC: sponsorships@flyfishingforum.com) suggesting to the business that they become a sponsor - according to our policy.

One of the moderators or I will follow up with the shop. We are on a big drive to get our fly show funding together for the winter and we can use all the help we can get.

Let me know when you've approached them with this idea and I will follow up.

thanks!
Old 11-18-2002, 02:20 PM
Recent Member

Send a message via Yahoo to krauseb
I wasn't putting a plug in for the fly shop, just trying to answer the original post.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.