Found Old Rod is it worth anything? - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2002, 10:51 PM
Recent Member

Found Old Rod is it worth anything?

I am new to this board so if I have posted this in the wrong area please excuse me.

Now, on to my story, 7 years ago my grandfather passed away, I recieved a fly rod which my father gave to my grandfather when he returned fron Japan at the conclusion of the Korean War. This Rod is in a kit called the Dragon fishing kit. it is in a unfinnished wooden box it has several dry flies, hooks, swivels, and the customs card wher my father brought back the fishing kit. The card says he paide 2400 yen for the kit. The rod includes a basic fly rod handle, mid section, and 3 tips. One of the tips has guides which look like spining rod guides and tip. The other 2 tips look to be identical. There is a dragon sticker on the base piece just up from the handle. The rod is bamboo.

Anyway one of my friend brought up fly fishing and I told him I had fished as a kid. He has rekindled my intrest and while looking for my old Shakespeare rod and automatic reel to see if I could still cast I came across this. Does it have any value? I do not have any intrest in selling the rod as I want to pass it down to my son.

Oh yea, I will buy a modern equipment if I catch the bug big time.

Thanks for any ideas.

Hank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2002, 05:43 AM

Hank, I know exactly which rod/box you're

talking about. This rig was the very first fly rod that was 'my very own' when I was a wee laddie.

Value is in the sentiment, not in resale.

Fred
Old 11-06-2002, 06:59 PM
Recent Member

Thanks!!
Old 11-06-2002, 08:39 PM

Your most! welcome. :>)

Your 'sign in' doesn't note your location; where do you hange your hat after work?
Fred
Old 11-07-2002, 10:13 AM
Recent Member

North Alabama.

I grew up Fly fishing for bass and brem on lake Guntersville and Smith Lake. My grandfather taught me to fish when I was 8 or 9. I fly fished with my dad until I was about 18, then we quit, other priorities. Recently, a father of one of my son's friends was talking about fly fishing for trout, something I have never done. This peaked my interest. As a result, I will go on at least one trip with him to Arkansas, which is only 8 hours away. If I really get into it I will go ahead and purchase all new equipment.
Old 11-07-2002, 12:24 PM

Ahhhh, the "raid on the wallet" is about to begin1

"If I really get into it I will go ahead and purchase all new equipment."

Open a seperate account so your wife can't keep track of how much money you're about to spend.

fae
Old 11-07-2002, 12:30 PM
Recent Member

I don't think so, she could figure that out. I will do it as a cash only thing. Then she will never know. That said she is very much in favor, except I had 2 root canals in the last 2 weeks. And yes it hurt like hell, especially in the mouth, but also in the wallet.

Last edited by why1504; 11-07-2002 at 12:38 PM.
Old 11-07-2002, 12:37 PM
Recent Member

By the way, any suggestions on the equipment?
Old 11-07-2002, 05:33 PM
JD

Start by ordering a Cabelas catalog.

JD
Old 11-07-2002, 08:16 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

... but give your dollars to a local flyshop. It pays big dividends to get acquainted with a good flyshop like any of our sponsors here. There is nothing more valuable than good advice, and you'll find that free at most flyshops.

Here's the advice I would give, having worked at one myself for a bit...

Once you know you have the bug, think about your purchases over the next few years. Most guys buy cheap and climb the buying ladder. That's good for the economy but not too smart on your wallet. You're much better off buying at a level where you won't feel the need to buy better for a while, even if there are bargains out there in the low end.

I once had a closet full of unused bargain rods which added together would have been twice the $$ for the rod I settled on as "good enough" in the end. That's three times what I needed to spend and I only use the last one I bought.

It's hard because it takes a while to know what your minimum comfort zone is. There are several things to consider:
- performance
- price
- prestige
- warranty
- aesthetics
- pleasure

If the equipment doesn't perform, don't buy it. It might be cheap, it might look good, it might have the name, it might have a great warranty - but in the end it must perform.

Price isn't everything. If you have a good value rod that performs and looks good and is pleasant to cast, you are still going to buy that top-end rod eventually for the name. Human nature.

You can apply these anecdotes in any combination you want, but my point is you should think longer term when you buy. If you do decide that fly fishing is not for you, you can sell it here or on eBay.

Good luck with your flyfishing learning curve!
Old 11-07-2002, 09:58 PM
Recent Member

Well, got out the old South Bend Rod and Automatic reel this evening. I was able to handle abot 35 feet of line in about 10 minutes. Felt that was not bad. My son and I are going up to the Bass Pro Shop in Nashville Saturday. We need some supplies for Duck Hunting this fall. I will be looking at some of these new high tech rods and reels while we are there. Sunday my son's friend and dad have envited us over to look at their fishing equipment. After that, I expect we will know which way we need to go. The dad has suggeted a Little River Outfitters near the Smokies as the best Fly Shop to get outfitted. We will be going to the Florida Gulf Coast during Thanksgiving. I think the Redfish are biting this time of the year. A rod may be in my future sooner than I think. There is a Fly Shop in Destin also.
Old 11-08-2002, 11:12 AM
Junkyard Spey

Old Rod from Japan

Hank if you want to find out more about the old rod look here:

http://pub12.ezboard.com/bclarksclassicflyrodforum

There are several people that post on Clark's site familiar with your rod.
Old 11-09-2002, 07:52 PM
Recent Member

Went crazy today. Took my son to the Bass Pro Shops in Nashville. We were there for 4 hours. Casted 4 different rods, bought 3(St. Croix, Loumis and Bass proshops for my son), Line Reels, flies, etc. I am broke now, bet will be fishing tommorrow. Thanks for the advice.

Hank
Old 11-10-2002, 12:57 PM

Got to stay away from those Bass Pro Shops, man you can drop a lot of money there if you are an outdoor guy. Glad the closest one to me is 52 miles away, but it is still tempting.

Was their in September, another trip after the holidays probably.

Good luck on the new tackle
Old 11-10-2002, 05:15 PM
Recent Member

Including the Duck Hunting stuff, well $1,500 +. Wife was not pleased.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.