striblue/tribalance - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-27-2001, 05:32 PM

striblue/tribalance

Striblue how do you like the tribalance I've looked at them but just can't make up my mind.
Larry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2001, 08:29 PM

Mr Shadfreak...
I've got a Pongo and find it very suitable...If you care to give it a try, let me know and we can meet up at the cauzzzway and you can take it for a spin.
The mobility factor...being able to carry it to the beach with no set up is worth considering.
I'm sure John will have some insight that will help you make an informed choice...I certainly cannot stand up in the Pongo...at least not for long!
One thing, to be sure, the YAK certainly does open up some interesting possibilities!
Don't skimp on a cheap paddle...which ever boat you get, you will be very intimate and familiar with the paddle...do it right the first time!
Cheers
Old 06-27-2001, 08:36 PM

I second Solo's advice on the paddle. Consider it your engine, get the best you can. Carbon fiber all the way if you can swing it, you'll notice the difference after a couple of hours of paddling. Some paddles have an oval shaped handle that makes a big difference if you have it set up for feathering. I don't know where your located but Billington Sea kayak here in Plymouth was very very helpful in selection and basic instruction.
Old 06-27-2001, 08:48 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Larry -

If you are close to Dennis, my good friend and kayak expert Don Baker of Sesuit Creek Outfitters is a great source of knowledge on kayaks and accessories in addition to Jim's great recommendation.

Man I am starting to think about buying one again...
Old 06-27-2001, 09:12 PM
Middle Aged Member

Kids gave me money for fathers day to be used specifically for a kayak. Based on all I've heard, the fact that Jim W. can fit in one, and colleage Gordon H's endorsement, I'm leaning hard toward the Pungo. I'll probably try out a few this weekend and buy. I'll fool around with it in the Bass River, get Gordon to show me the ropes, then I'll be looking for Morin or Grey to show me around the bathtub and points south.

Fred A.
Old 06-27-2001, 09:52 PM
President of CAC

Shad.... I love it.. very stable and it tracks well.. It has two storage bins and it's great to stand on ..in calm water... Has not flipped me over except when I reached for my anchor rope up front and it tiped enough to force me over the side.. but that was my failure to think it though. I usually sit up on the deck with my feet in the cockpit to fish and will only sit in the pit on long paddles.. You have to put the pontoons on and off each time but that's no big deal and it weighs about 50 pounds. I slip it on top of my SUV. I was out with Solo on his pungo and I saw no difference in speed etc. Talk to Ken Glidden at goose Hummock.. a nice guy. For some reason the pontoons don't seem that popular... but you should try it out.
Old 06-27-2001, 10:33 PM

MIT is working on a lab rat powered stern drive...there is a hampster overdrive turbine fly wheel that boosts the rodent power by 35%...(as long as you keep them properly fed and watered).

Whatever you decide...test and compare before buy...and don't be put off by the sticker shock of the high end paddles. In the long run, you will be pleased and won't have to upgrade later when you see the light.
Old 06-27-2001, 11:26 PM
President of CAC

Pete, am I correct that some of these paddles cost over $200 ? If I don't see you this weekend I will next.. so I hope your planning on the following weekend also.
Old 06-28-2001, 05:37 AM

I have the Necky Santa Cruz which is a great boat. More like a true ocean kayak than the Pungo when it gets a little rought out there you want a boat that will take it. I talked to sea kayakers before I bought my boat. Bananas in Wareham is a good place to*buy kayaks they have very low prices. Goose Hummock dose not carry the Tribalannce anymore.
Juro you got to get a yak . John when I'm ready I will contact you and we can have a mini yak clave.
FishHawk
Old 06-28-2001, 08:47 AM
President of CAC

Shad... If FishHawk is right you should call Glidden there because when I stopped by this past weekend they did have some in inventory... may be able to get a great deal and ask him why they don't carry them... I bet it is because people don't like the pontoon concept for just yaking and they may feel it's a pain to put together... but for fishing I think it's perfect.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.