Steelhead Fly Book - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Salmon & Steelhead Flies Spey flies to mixed wings, new innovations

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2003, 01:40 PM

Steelhead Fly Book

Can someone reccomend a good book for tying Steelhead flies? I am looking for one that has patterns, reciepes and instructions for a novice please!

Andre
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2003, 02:58 PM

Steelhead Fly Tying Guide by H.Kent Helvie published by Frank Amato Publications should fit what you are looking for. A very well laid out book. tight lines,brian
Old 01-10-2003, 03:25 PM

Andre,

The look on your face in that avatar is classic!

The aforementioned Helvie book is good. Also try "Flies for Steelhead" By Stewart/Allen and "Spey Flies and Dee Flies" by John Shewey. The former is comprehensive in styles and patterns, while the latter sticks to its titled genre, but is full of invaluable information!
Old 01-10-2003, 06:04 PM

Thanks guys

I was thinking about the book form Helvie, I will check it out tonight.

PastorTD - What face are you referring to? so you wander from the other board too. Are you still thinking about doing a minibash?
Old 01-10-2003, 06:32 PM

If you are a beginner would have to go with the Kent Helvie book but that book is light on nymph tying.

For Nymphs, you cannot beat Randall Kaufmann's book. Plus Kaufmanns is a sponsor of the forumn.

Here is a web site link for you also which shows some detailed tying steps online for great lakes steelhead flies which you can apply also.

www.steelheading101.com

Take a lesson if you can, I never did but did the book learning thing 22 years ago.

Good luck, and good tying

PM Out
Old 01-10-2003, 07:34 PM

Re: Thanks guys

Quote:
Originally posted by Andre D
What face are you referring to?
Exactly.
Old 01-10-2003, 09:43 PM

Tried and true flys:

Trey Combs books.
fae
Old 01-10-2003, 10:43 PM
Pullin' Thread

Unfortunately,

There is no good book that teaches how to tie steelhead flies of all types that also has a good patteren recipe section.

All the aforementioned books are good on patterns but lacking in tying techinique insrtuction.

The best way to go is with a solid tying text such as Dick Talleur's "Versitile Flytyer"; Jorgeson's "Favorite Flies and Their Tying"; Fling and Puterbough's book; Skip Morris's book, etc. and then get a book with pattern recipes in it. I think the Trey Comb's book "Steelhead Flyfishing" is the best one for patterns that is availbale right now. Shewey's dee and spey fly book is a good one but is only covers tying dee and spey flies, not general tying.

Pmflyfisher's suggestion of taking a fly tying class is very sound advice. I learned the hard way by myself with the use of Herter's "Professional Fly Tying Manual" as my teacher. It would have cut years off the learning curve and would have prevented some bad habits that I then had to unlearn from developing. A good fly tying class will have you tying an acceptable fly the first night because you can see it happening and then get the tutoring of the instructor immediately. Well worth the price.

And never buy cheap tying tools, they are false economy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.