Fly Fishing Forum banner

Light Lines and Small Streams

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  SDHflyfisher 
#1 ·
I read about people fishing one and two weights on small creeks, and I don't get it. It seems that little wild fish like big flys like Wulfs and Humpys. I find that a one or two weight just doesn't have the mass to pull a bushy fly like that. Give me at least a four weight.
I usually don't over line my trout rods, but for small streams, when I might only have a few feet of line out of the tip, I like to go up a line. I like a 4wt on a 3wt rod. I like fiberglass and bamboo in these situations too. It seems as if the weight of the tip helps to load these soft rods.
A one or two weight rod might be good on a small stream...with a three or four weight line.

#2 ·
Eddie, I agree with you on overlining rods for the short casts needed on small streams. Some streams I fish get enough pressure that a lighter weight rod allows you to have a more flexible spring when you do hook up with 7 or 8X. At least thats the theory I used to justify building a 3 wt (actually it'd be better as a 2 wt) last spring. :devil:

Art B has an article in the forum discussing his experiences with a 2 wt for trout. Its an interesting read.

#3 ·
the only time i over weight a rod is in windy conditions. the reason i use manly a #3 is that it gives a better presentaion. the reason the smaller fish take larger flies is because they are more agressive than larger fish and less picky. i use my #3 on all size rivers no matter what im fishing for i like the challenge of light line fishing.

"Tight Lines"

#4 · (Edited)
Eddie,

Like you, I never understood the facination with the less than 3 weight rods. I use a short 4 weight for my small stream fishing because it feels better with the larger drys, nymphs and streamers that are many times needed on small waters. And like you, I prefer fiberglass or bamboo in the short rods as well. However, as soon as rod length gets to 8', prefer graphite.

I also see this same phemonema with trico or blue winged olive fishing on bigger water. I prefer to use a 9' or 10' 4 weight there as well because they cast 50 to 60 feet much nicer than the 3 weights.

#5 ·
I can't speak from Tenth Level expertise, but I used to be a regular on Idaho's Silver Creek, where I used a 5-weight, which seems to be useable even in demanding conditions about 90% of the time. I have a 3-weight midge outfit, which I used there last summer. Since it allowed me to duel successfully even with the old rainbow residents there (which I suspect, are reincarnated loan sharks), I can't see a need for anything lighter. I mostly use 4-weights for my small-stream and small-dry fly fishing; they can handle a bit of wind and No. 14 flies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.