Migration FULL TILT!!!! - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-31-2002, 10:12 PM
Secret:Time on the water

Migration FULL TILT!!!!

Fished all day today and we had a bluefish blitz the likes of which I have not seen since I was just an ankle biter. All of the blues were 12-15 lbs. and they were eating like it was their last meal. Their bellies were like Saturday morning fishing show largemouths.....it was absolute mayhem in the water repleat with bloody clouds and quivering half eaten bunker being finished off right on the surface. I took so many large blues on the flyrod I lost count and finally had to put the flyrod down and give my arm a rest. Those fish on a 9 wt. are nothing short of too much! Great fun and a welcome change from all of the ratty little 1-2 lb. blues that have been harrassing me for months. Finished off the day by catching a bunch of schoolies in the mid-20" range but fat fish these fish were just like the blues with bulging bellies that looked like they couldn't fit another piece of fish in them. There were bass mixed in with the blues but it was almost impossible to get through the blues to get to them. My friend did manage to get a bass on a drifted chunk of bunker (Non-flyfisher) and it was about 34" and also very fat. All of this action was within a couple of miles of my home port in Milford CT. , the flocks of birds in the morning were a real sight to see, at one point a single flock of birds must have stretched for at least a mile or more about a mile off of the beach. This is full tilt migration fishing at it's finest and it isn't going to last for long so get out there and catch em' up before they are gone and we have to wait another 6 COLD months to fish again.

Tightlines,
Mike M.
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2002, 08:34 AM

Just awesome Mike!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2002, 08:35 AM

Migration

E-mail me if you get the chance. I should be out this weekend.
Old 11-01-2002, 08:43 AM

Mike - what a day of fishing…fantastic. Blues 12 -15 lbs. great fun on the fly rod.There are a lot things you can have "too much" of but big fish, never… even big blues. Hey, the ratty blues make good bait.:hehe:

Craig

Last edited by CSJ60; 11-04-2002 at 08:06 AM.
Old 11-01-2002, 10:43 PM
Secret:Time on the water

Those blues could have eaten several rat blues in one mouthful. I went back out today despite the wind and could not relocate the big blues but did find countless willing schoolies to about 24". Still plenty of bait around and water temps are right at 50 deg. so I think we may have another 2 weeks or more left before it is time to hang it up and put the boat away for hibernation. This time of year is always happy/sad, on the one hand you can have some of the best fishing of year and on the other you can smell the end of another season drawing to a close. It really is kind of depressing to come into the harbor and see all of the empty slips and boats on shore with their shrinkwrap jackets on for winter. I am going to stretch it out as long as i can handle the cold, so far my hands are the only thing that are taking a beating from the cold, still have not found the secret to keeping them warm and functioning on these brutally cold mornings, other than using some of those Hot Hands packets I can't keep them warm for very long so I end up taking alot of short breaks to thaw them out enough to make some more casts. Flyfishing is definitely a more demanding pursuit at this time of the year, once the hands get wet it is very hard to keep them warm. But I will soldier on and not worry too much about them just live with it and do the best I can to keep the hands moving.

Tightlines,
Mike M.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.