Four wheel drive vs. "all wheel drive." The Joan is bugging - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-04-2002, 08:57 PM

Four wheel drive vs. "all wheel drive." The Joan is bugging

the crap out of me again to 'move on' from my old trusty 91 Ford Explorer. In context, the car has done every thing I've asked but when your married to a Redhead ..... sigh.....

So to the question: (and this time she's even tossed in trading in her Lexus. Maybe a bit too serious here for my own good. Now you know too much about how an 'old good marrage works in southern Oregon )

Your collective thoughts on 4x4 vs. 'all wheel drive' in a mid sized SUV. 99% of the time the 4 x 4 is to get me on/off gravel bars rather than towing so "she" may have a point (double sigh ...).

Question covers a few points:
Which do you prefer and why?
In an 'all wheel drive' is there an 'experience preference?

Last question:
How do I get out of this alive? Keeping her "at bay" with the new home coming .... "No girl, not until we know EXACTLY how much this will end up costing." That puppy will hunt for about another 45 days.

Last edited by fredaevans; 10-04-2002 at 09:00 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2002, 10:14 PM

Fred-
I suggest the best possible answer is ............"yes dear."
Bob
Old 10-04-2002, 10:24 PM

Sigh .... Bob, I read your answer to Joan.

Her response: "Right answer, good man."

Now go away!:eyecrazy:
Old 10-04-2002, 10:42 PM

Re: Four wheel drive vs. "all wheel drive." The Joan is bugging

Quote:
Originally posted by fredaevans

How do I get out of this alive?

Fred follow Bobs advice. I know that I've screwed up almost every car purchase since I met my wife.

My only experiences with 4 wd are in a Subaru a couple of years older than your Explorer. What I found was that in snow the 4 wd only helped to get moving, not in steering or stopping. Never tried it on the beach, In retrospect I should have.
Old 10-04-2002, 11:37 PM

All wheel drive is good for on road performance(wet roads, maybe snow, but snow tires are better still) and 4wd is better off road(gravel bars).
A locking center diffferential is key off road(even with "traction control"). AWD cars with the LCD that come to mind are the Jeep Cherokee, Toyota Land Cruiser, and the HUM V. The older Rovers have it too(maybe again in '04).
Car buying sucks(which is why I haven't bought a car in 11 years), but the Pathfinder is going to blow up if I tow the boat more than a hundred miles or so. sigh....nothing really fits the bill.
Old 10-05-2002, 12:34 AM
Pullin' Thread

Fred,

I have owned 4X4 trucks that have been part-time 4 wheel drive and one that was full-time four wheel drive. They performed equally well to go get firewood in the mountains of Montana and to get to our-of-the-way spots in the hills where a road was nothing more than a track in the woods. The full-time 4x4 was a '78 Dodge pickup and it had a locking center differential (as Eddie mentioned) which is essential to going in the ruff.

I sold the Dodge 4 1/2 years ago and bought a Jeep Cherokee becaue the wife thought we needed a SUV instead of a truck. The Cherokee we bought has part-time 4-wheel drive. What is really needed is a locking center differential or transfer case that sends ewual power to both front and rear axles along with a low range 4-wheel drive for stump pulling, off-roading, or gravel bar driving, and secent fround clearance to avoid high centering or beating up things like oil pans. .

There are many SUV's out there that meet these criteria.

Interestingly, my wife has been saying for the last 3 months that we ought to consider selling the Cherokee and get another 4X4 pickup because pickups can carry more stuff. Go figure.
Old 10-05-2002, 04:40 AM

Fred you just have to have

a new Range Rover.
Look at http://www.landrover.com/gb/en/default.htm
and I quote Wherever you want to go, Land Rover can take you there. Welcome to our world of adventure.

Most of the ghillies on the Spey drive Land Rover Defenders. I have had three Range Rovers for Salmon Fishing you cannot get better.

Malcolm

www.speygillie.co.uk
Old 10-05-2002, 05:52 AM

Willie, actually considered the land rovers, only

as my step son AND his son both have newer models (Dad the big one, son the small one) down in Calif. Doubt they've ever been anywhere close to 'off road.' But they're coming up in a couple of weeks and I'll ask them to bring the 'smaller' of the two and give it a try.

Only real concern I'd have with this vech. would be necessary repairs. Doubt there's a dealer within 400 miles of Medford.
fae

ps: did you get the hats?
Fred
Old 10-05-2002, 06:21 AM

Lat & Long

Fred,
Yes got the hats, thanks, did you not get the Email

nearest dealer N 45 31' 15" W 122 39' 59" all you need now is a sextant.

Malcolm

www.speygillie.co.uk
Old 10-05-2002, 10:34 AM

Fred,

We bought a new 2002 Trailbalzer in April have put 10,000 on it including city, long distance and off road driving. No problems, no rattles even with the South Dakota Bad Lands back roads and Michigan National Forest wash board roads.

Gas mileage is close to or above 20 on the road. We are very satisfied with it and would buy another.

Many models to choose from. The new Vortec engine is a performer.

Like they saw "Like a Rock".

Would think even in Medford you would have a Chevrolet dealer.

The other one I would look at is the GMC Envoy.

Good Luck on your search !

Hal

http://www.chevrolet.com/trailblazer/index.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trailblazer.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	894  
Old 10-05-2002, 02:49 PM

Fred,

I second those opinions on the Range Rovers - serious 4x4 capabilities when equipped correctly.

I guess the first question would be, What do you want in this vehicle? How much of the time would you be off-road?

For overall "roadability" on pavement, the all wheel drive vehicles are really nice, particularly on wet or snowy roads.

For off-road driving, a more capable vehicle would be a 4x4 SUV or truck, preferably with a limited slip differential (locking axle). Just watch your leadfoot and don't punch it on ice or snow.

I've personally run the gamit from 2x4 to 4x4 trucks and SUV's. I built a serious 3/4ton 4x4, installing locking axles, lift kit and serious off-road tires. Strangely, my most capable vehicle was my old '86 GMC Jimmy SUV (GMC's little Blazer). Because of it's 4x4 capabilities and shorter wheel base I could go places even the built-up 4x4 couldn't go. My overall favorite "woods" vehicle.

Which brings me back to the Range Rover - a really buff SUV though far from being pretty. Wish I could afford one...

ws

Last edited by watersprite; 10-05-2002 at 03:12 PM.
Old 10-05-2002, 06:36 PM

Willie this will tickle you a bit on Navigation.

At one time (haven't had the use for it for many years) but I was darn good. My sextent is Royal Navy issue (that always had the other US Coasties scratching their heads) and IS still dead on. Still have my Bowdich (sp? ... long time since I've used the book) tables in the library. Gets hit with the "Brasso" three or four times per year.

Even with Loran, etc., I was always a firm (marine applications) 'beliver' that if it runs on electricity it will go out just when you need it the most. I'd have a crewman do the "electronic shoots" and I'd use the horizon, and the sun, a planet or a star. Also had a darn good wrist watch for a cronometer.

Amazing how many of the crew wanted to learn to use the equipment. Most common mistake was their 'answer' was 180 degrees around the other side of the world.

Sorry I missed the hat e mail; glad you got them and hope you and Stef. are 'shapoing' good health.

As to the car thing .... I shan't allow Joan to read these ... assumeing she's not peeking anyway. You guys are supposed to be helping out not getting me into debt.

As to applications of 4 x 4 95% is on gravel bars, the other 5% would be snow.
fae
Old 10-05-2002, 07:47 PM
flyfishing catarafter

Send a message via AIM to Steelheader69 Send a message via Yahoo to Steelheader69
Well now

I'd say it really depends on what you really want. First off, there is a BIG difference between limited slip and a locked differential. A limited slip is an axle that the tire on solid ground is "supposed" to grab and pull most of power, while a locked/locking differential has equal power to both wheels. The best vehicle 4x4 I ever had was an 80' Chevy Blazer K5 4x4 with front and rear locked differentials. It was a true four wheel drive (most 4x4's out there are actually a 2 wheel drive, they have front and rear slip differentials). I locked the front end in and I could get out of just about anywhere I wanted. Then unlocking front end sent my gas mileage up. An all wheel drive has all 4 wheels running at all times, usually with limited slip front/rear on axles. But with technology nowadays, there's virtually not much difference gas mileagewise between your all wheel vs 4x4. Just your undercarriage. Most 4x4's have a reinforced (and I say MOST) cage built in to protect your drivetrain. The cage on my current Blazer has been pummeled a few times on hunting trips that would've detroyed the tranny. But a thick steel skidplate bolted directly to the chassis helped me out and only caused an extra bumpy situation. Plus the extra shocks (mine has two sets stock front and rear made by GM specifically for the offroad package) keeps things in check.

I'd say in the long run, go with what Joan wants. Unless you hunt and fish in some of the places I do, you won't need anything overbearing. I'm looking for a 3/4 Suburban 4x4 so I have some extra clearance and the heavier duty axle needed for some of my hunting/fishing excursions. Most guys don't need that much vehicle.
Old 10-05-2002, 09:06 PM

I'm screwed!!!!

She's peeking!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-08-2002, 02:35 PM

Check this one out, they are starting to show in Chicago now.

You could handle any back road with this I am sure. They are a tad expensive though up in the 50-60 range I think.

Sat no to the install box which will pop up to you unless you want to see their video clip.

http://www.hummer.com/hummerjsp/h2/index.jsp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.