Off to Ireland, Guide Recomendations??? - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-31-2002, 10:31 AM

Off to Ireland, Guide Recomendations???

I'm headed to Ireland, be there from Nov 9th thru 16th. Doing the bus trip from Dublin to Shannon with the typical southern route. This is a busload trip, mostly sightseeing and shopping (Man, how did I get myself into this). Someones gotta help me out and point me in the direction of a guide for a day to get me out of spending all my time at the Waterford Crystal Factory, or having to watch my wife try on 30,000 sweaters,"Yes dear, it's lovely"
HELP!!!, I'm already freaking out about, But I'm sure I'll have to sample a few dark ones, maybe dull the pain. I'm sure I'll find something to entertain myself, but I just don't see the point in visiting a new place without trying out the local fishing scene.
We are gonna be joined by my sister and brother in-law, he has the same concerns and will join me if we can find a willing guide.
Any thoughts?
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2002, 01:17 PM

Case,

If you're going through Galway city, got to Duffy's and ask - it's a great little shop and it has everything you'll need - you won't see it but he's got it...

There is another small shop a few doors down from the Quay's pub (pronounced "Keys", it means a pier or dock) - awesome pub BTW - the shop is a pub, gun shop & off license all in one!

Also, did a google, try these:
www.shannon-fishery-board.ie
www.cfb.ie
www.fishireland.com

THere is also a gov't run board but I can't remember the name right now - Miles Kelly gave me some info, try a search here for his posts (or mine), it was about this time last year...

Eastern Regional Fisheries Board, fond the name - do a search on the tourism board. Check the seasons too, might have to leave the gear home anyway...

Let us know how you make out.
TMS
Old 10-31-2002, 01:51 PM

Thumbs up Ireland

I spent a few months in Ireland near Galway. Good call on Duffy's. Stop in there and ask them for info. If you can do it, hire a Guide/Gillie(spl?). I will look through my stuff tonight and see if I can't dig up some more info for you. Even if you don't fish, you are in for the trip of a lifetime. It's absolutly beautiful over there.

John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2002, 02:18 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Myles is a representative of the Celtic Fishing Bureau, CFB.IE which is already listed. Also, Terry Weir had done a bunch of research into this destination and might be able to help.

Do a members search and drop Myles a line. Have an awesome trip!
Old 10-31-2002, 04:31 PM

YeeHaw, Thanks for the tips guys, I'll get into a search soon, but for now it looks like I gotta go trick or treatin! Oh Boy!!!
Old 10-31-2002, 08:54 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
...and if all else fails...

Call Mark Doogue for a pub intel report!
Old 10-31-2002, 09:19 PM
Flyfishing on the brain..

Ahhhh.....

The 19th Hole in Lahinch, Dirty Nellies across the street from Bunratty Castle, McGann's in County Claire........and the list goes on. I'll check my notes and see if I can't give you a comprehensive list.

What is your itinerary?

When you need a rest from the Guinness try a nice, refreshing pint of Bulmers/Magners cider WITH ice. It will do the trick.

You'll really enjoy yourself. The people are very friendly and the countryside is exceptionally pretty.

On the way over drink nothing but water and try like hell to get some sleep. You'll land around 7:30 AM their time which makes for a long day. The last two times I went over I was up for 39+ hours straight because I didn't sleep on the plane! The only upside to that, your body is so confused that when you finally get some sleep you wake up acclimated to their time.......

Most of my time over there is generally spent on a golf course. Just gorgeous over there.
Old 11-02-2002, 11:17 AM

Unhappy

sorry to breack it to you but if your after trout the season is closed and I think its the same for salmon.
As for a guide try Denis O'keffe hes a good friend and one of the best.
Old 11-02-2002, 11:24 AM
President of CAC

Case...if the season is closed and you play golf don't forget that .
Old 11-02-2002, 03:02 PM

Pretty tough when your fall back position is to hit the links of the "Emerald Isle", Oh well, I'll survive, Somehow!
John, I'll be looking for any items that might make a nice addition to the CAC, browsing Duffy's should be interesting, at least more so than something the wife might have in mind." Let's see, do you like the green sweater or the green sweater?, Yes dear, please buy them both!!!"
Old 11-04-2002, 09:41 AM

Case - Duffy's is the size of a walk-in closet, on 3 levels, I spent an hour in there - twice!. Get some local trout patterns, they rock out here.
The best deal on Aran-knit sweaters in Galway is at the end of the shops, down towards the Spanish Arch - 2 for $50 lbs. (last year).
Have dinner at McSweeny's (in Galway) or Moran's of the Weir (outside of town), get the soup & whatever else you wany but get the soup.
Old 03-13-2003, 01:07 PM

Got me 2 tickets for this spring! Bringing the 6wt. and a wife
Old 03-13-2003, 01:28 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

And what about the fiddle?
Old 03-13-2003, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by juro
And what about the fiddle?
Oh ya, but the mandolin and guitar might squeeze it out. Add some fly gear and todays flying security and boy I have some gear challenges. The neat thing is that the kids are going to Disney!
Ya gotta love in laws!

Lefty
Old 03-13-2003, 04:22 PM
Fluff

Case, the way Sprocket went on about Duffy's, when he gifted me with a small packet of Rogan patterns, sounds like it's a "must see"

Lefty could FEDEX all his gear over beforehand

Last edited by DFix; 03-13-2003 at 04:37 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.