Fly Fishing Forum banner

SE CT Report - Me and Mini B's

2K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  Striper 
#1 ·
Shore fished SE CT the last 3 days. With the exception of some micro bass, the fishing was quite slow. Did hear of a bluefish blitz at Harkness Sunday a.m. Unfortunately, I was elsewhere. Clearly evident is the dramatic reduction in bait as compared to just two weeks ago. Time to move down the coast and try areas west of the CT river.

#2 ·
I've been fishing the SE CT coast also. Loads of schoolies and shad at the Causeway in Old Saybrook. Some guys said they got blues there as well. Found big bass and blues chasing big bait at Ocean Beach on Monday. I got a 36" striper and had several heart-stopping topwater hits by blues but didn't hook up with them. Action died and the big fish disappeared at high slack. Once the water started flowing out of the channel it was a steady pick of stripers in the 20"s and 3 lb blues.

Q

#7 ·
Hey Quentin....sounds like I was pretty consistent with being at the wrong place at the wrong time. Were you at Ocean Beach in the morning?

Would really like to hook up with you guys, but I've got plans with the kids on Sunday. Perhaps next weekend if fish are still around.

#8 ·
Caster said:
Hey Quentin....sounds like I was pretty consistent with being at the wrong place at the wrong time. Were you at Ocean Beach in the morning?
I was there from about noon until dark. I wish I had gotten there earlier because I think I arrived at the tail end of the action.

Q

#9 ·
Bridgeport high tide is about 9:15ish in the morning. I say we meet at the Audobon Society on the Housatonic and follow the dropping tide out to the sandbars. There's gotta be some bad boys out there waiting to inhale a fly. :)

No need to beat the sunrise.....we could meet in the lot at about 9:30 or 10:00 and fish until dark (which is now around 4:30). That would include the first hour or so of the new incoming tide.

Just an idea.

#10 ·
Sounds like a plan to me Mark:D

Especially since I haven't been back down there since joining back in the Springtime:confused:

I might bring the Double-Hander and pretend I'm back on the River Tweed - especially if it snows :smokin:

#11 ·
Adrian said:
Sounds like a plan to me Mark:D

Especially since I haven't been back down there since joining back in the Springtime:confused:
Works for me. I haven't been back to the lower Housy since June either. It will be interesting to see what's around at this time of year.

Q

#13 ·
Okay, it's a plan. Let's meet at about 10ish on Sunday morning in the parking lot. The most recent weather report that I saw for Milford was low 40s for a high. You guys might see my stylin wool pom-pom hat. :p

Sean, I don't have a map book in front of me here, but I'll try to do a search for you. If someone else in the group posts before me with directions, so much the better. Either way, we'll get you there. Looking forward to meeting you.

Hope you all saw Mike's report about all the bluefish in Milford. Bring plenty of fluoro or wire. :devil:

#17 ·
Guy's not to put a damper on your outing but I went out again today despite the wind and could not find the big blues from Thursday, but I did find alot of willing schoolies around Morningside and ended up catching 30 or more of them up to about 24" or so. Man was it cold.........BURRRRRRRRRRR! It will be cold on Sunday so bring your muck luks and pray for sun! The Housie is usually very good this time of year especially for schoolie fish make sure you check out Short Beach if you are mobile on the water it usually is very productive on the outgoing tide this time of year. There is a ton of peanuts all along the shoreline in front of the Audubon Center beaches so definitely give that a shot as well. I may be out doing some blackfishing with another friend of mine but if that gets axed I will launch my boat and meet up with you guys over there and give you an on the water report maybe save you all some time. If I don't get a chance to see you gentlemen I hope you have a great time and catch lot's o' fish, and please be careful it is cold and if you go in the water now it won't take long before you are a human bobber and another statistic, I would like to fish with all of you again some day so be safe and catch em' up!!!!

Tightlines,
Mike M.

P.S. By the way the water temps today were hovering right around 50 deg. which I am told is optimal bass temp. who knows all I know is that it is not optimal Mike temp. I wish it were July again. Summer can't come soon enough for me I hate winter.....go away snow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.