Corsair Squid - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Striper (etc) Flies Tricks of the trade

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-29-2002, 10:08 PM
President of CAC

Corsair Squid

This is not actually corsair but another type of tubing similar to corsair. ..Just experimenting... Longer 3/0 hook, pink thread.... tye in a dozen rubber white sparkle legs first then two long white saddle hackles on each side and strip the feathers off on each side leaving a small amount at the end of the hackle similar to the way Salty did his two feelers, then tye in white hackles concave out, about 6 or 8, around the hook, then tye in shorter or the same length pink hackles around the first application concave out..... then take pink estez or sparkle chenille and wrap around the shank for guts... take large red eyes and epoxy in between both eyes to create a sort of round ball... take the tubing, about 4 or 5 inches in length, and tye in one end at about 1/2 inch down the shank from the hook eye..with the major portion about 3 inches shooting off the hook eye... then push the tubing back over itself toward the hook bend creating a type of cone and then tye down at the hook eye...be sure that both tye downs, the first and second ,are side by side ..NOT on top of each other otherwise you will create a weird large out of proportion nose and the tye will be difficult to accomplish. This is why your first tye down needs to be atleast 1/2 inch down the hook shaft to give you room to tye down the second tye down. Don't be concerned about the hook gap because the material is so flexable that it will collaps if there is any pressure on the cone.... anyway..they were the only hooks I had that were long enough.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc00903.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	968  

Last edited by striblue; 10-29-2002 at 10:27 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2002, 09:06 AM
deeply obsessed fly-guy

Corsair squid

John,

I have the skillet heating with the olive oil and garlic ready to go in...man, does that fly look good!

Don't know if they will work here in the fall, but spring time is squid time in Joisey, so I'm going to tie up a bunch. Just hope they measure up!

Take care and keep tying!

Best regards,

-Doc
Old 10-30-2002, 09:21 AM
President of CAC

Doc, I was experimenting..if you do tie it use the actual corsair tubing which will be easier to tie down and you don't have to make the mantle as big as I made it.. I will do another with actual corsair for a somewhat thiner mantle.
Old 10-30-2002, 06:43 PM

Thumbs up

Striblue, LOOKING GOOD, like the color an the EYES.
heres one that has always worked for me.
GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN"
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	squid.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	969  
Old 10-30-2002, 10:58 PM
President of CAC

HHHHmmmm...yes.... I like the marabou...and the red underbody...that should have some nice fluid action.I might tye it next time with a little of that and the actual corsair and since Doc Duprey was going to cook it I will name it " Doc's Calamari Delux".
Old 10-31-2002, 04:48 PM

Thumbs up

Sounds good enough to eat
'good luck good tyin"
Old 11-01-2002, 05:55 AM

Smile Easy Squid

Gee! I look at the pictures of flies most of the guys tie and I get ashamed of mine. I have been tying for over 55 years and begining of my 60 years a flyfisher next year. I can not compete, I do catch fish on my creations, but I don't spend much time tying them. Lots of flyfishers have given me flies which put mine to shame. I very rarely give anyone mine. Reason they don't look to good.
A few years ago I saw lots of squid in the water, and noticed that they change color quite often. I tried tying some like those shown in different tying books, takes to long to tie. Designed my own. at the bend of the hook I tied a bump of chenille, dark which represents a mouth, and creats a base to cause the arms or hackles to spray out, tie in two long hackles, and 8 short hackles, tie in a body of crystal chenelle, add an eye, and the easy squid is born.
See lousy picture.
I have taken bass blues, and false albacore on it. This year I have taken 5 false albacore on it. I think Tim St saw me take one. I have taken blues on it to 13 lbs, and won the club contest with one in 2000, and have a trophy to prove it. If anyone is interested I will try and make a step by step, although it is real simple even I can tie it. :hehe:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	squid6.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	975  
Old 11-01-2002, 03:35 PM
President of CAC

Thanks Art....another contributor to the tying board!... As a matter of fact, Art, most of the squid flies are use are tyed mostly like yours... chenelle wrap and simple.... so, these other concoctiuons are tied for fun or as an experiment... although I had some good luck in deep water with the Cosair Squid...but the one with the actual corsair.
Old 11-01-2002, 04:24 PM
deeply obsessed fly-guy

Cool Corsair Squid

OK John, next trip to the CAC I bring white wine... to go with the calamari...or do you prefer a Fra Diavolo sauce?

Best regards,

-Doc
Old 11-02-2002, 09:08 AM
President of CAC

Doc.... It was a no name fly and I really will refer it as that..I think it's perfect name for a fly especially if you have success with your versions you will tye and use. I will not be at the Josey clave but look forward to your arrival at some point in the spring...because I will be scheduling the cancelled rip trip again with the same roster.
Old 11-02-2002, 05:38 PM

ArtB, it doesn't mater what the fly looks like, all that MATTERS is does it CATCH FISH
heres one I did long ago, an it caught fish.
"GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN"
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1st squid..jpg
Views:	128
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	980  
Old 11-02-2002, 07:10 PM
Mr. Mom

One more squid on tube

Tied specifically for tuna in Baja
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	squid.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	981  
Old 11-03-2002, 09:37 AM
President of CAC

That's a nice squid.... what is the material over the guts..the mantle?.... a type of fleese?... Salty is right as far as I am concerned... that the fly has to catch fish.... don't forget, as far back as Waltons day and even to the early days of saltwater fishing...a couple chicken featheres tied to a hook would generate a strike.... but it sure is fun to tye them with more than chicken feathers. The basic action imparted in a fleeing or swimming squid is basically the tail or legs.... so if that's there ,it's all you really need.Afterall if you catch a striper after a bluefish has devestated your fly that is proof that good looks is meaninless.
Old 11-03-2002, 09:59 AM
Mr. Mom

Yup... It's fleece. Basically a tube version of Popovic's "shady lady"squid. Unlike some of the other bugs I tie for the salt, this one comes off the vice FAST! For trolling I often tie it with chartreuse feathers, an electric blue body, and a chartreuse veil or purple feathers, black body and purple veil with flash. Brings them in from a distance with an attitude where I fish in mexico.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.