Flats boot - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-26-2001, 08:29 AM

Flats boot

I 'm considering buying a pair of flats boots and would love anybodies comments about ones that they like or dislike. Why I wade wet I normally wear my wading boots over a wading sock. It works ok in rocky areas but sand is a problem and they are very hot if the walk is long. Sandels are not an option because of sunburned feet. Worst time ever.
Thanks Larry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2001, 08:36 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I am hoping the Doogues chime in... I found a good deal at EMS on Northwest River System water shoes, which they found a much better pair that I am saving up for ASAP...
Old 06-26-2001, 11:22 AM
Middle Aged Member

I found a pair of decent looking water shoes, neoprene, over the ankle, with a substantial sole, at EMS Saturday. LRS is the brand I believe - $35. They didn't have my size and when the sales guy asked if I wanted him to check other stores I initially said naw, don't bother, then said "ya, go ahead". Should at least be an improvement over the old sneakers.

Last year on a rip trip I forgot to put sunblock on my feet after shedding the waders. Paid dearly.

Fred A.

On second thought maybe they are NRS. FYI- they had a pair of size ten at the EMS in Taunton. I believe my size twelves are coming from Hingham.
Old 06-26-2001, 12:04 PM
Wanna be striper bum

Ahhh,

Based on a lead that Juro gave us my entire fishing family went out and bought some NRS booties. You can poke around at the following URL and find all kinds of great booties:

http://www.nrscatalog.com/

Then go to Footwear -> Booties. We all bought the ATB Wetshoe and we love them. I found that you need to buy one shoe size larger than normal if you have thinner material on the feet of your waders (i.e. Gore-Tex or nylon). If you have neoprene feet on your waders then you need to go 2 or even 3 sizes larger than normal.

The boots feel like sneakers and they appear to hold up very well in the salt. After spending the spring in bootfoot waders these booties feel awesome - they really do feel like sneakers.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

-Mike
Old 06-26-2001, 02:24 PM

There is one size 11 available at EMS in Boston, none in Burlington, Dedham or Hingham.

REI has a similar product in there paddling section.

Good luck.

Roop
Old 06-26-2001, 03:28 PM

I know Bldg. 19 had some flats boots similar to the ones offered by Cabelas. Not in the same caliber as the NRS product but better than sandals. I think they were going for around $10 last year. I remember seeing them in the Weymouth store.
Old 06-26-2001, 04:04 PM

If anyone has a size 8 mens which is also a size 9 womens according to the website, there are 1999 models of the rugged NRS boot for only 19.99! Look at the specials on the site that Doogue pointed out for more info.
Old 06-26-2001, 11:43 PM

Send a message via ICQ to tomd
if you wear a size 9 shoe, I have a pair of unused size 10 patagonia marlwalkers(I needed 11's).I'll seel them for $80.00 ... they still have the tags on em! Tom D
here are a couple of links about them...

http://www.rei.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prmenbr=8000&prrfnbr=3024032

http://www.smallstreams.com/Salt/Marlwalker.html
Old 06-27-2001, 04:27 AM

I use a pair of Streamline boots which are no longer made. However, check out th
Simms Flats Boot they are of similar design and work well. Also, Chota make some nice flats boots. One thing I found out is get them large enough if you are planning to ware stocking foot waders with them. If cost is the issue then the Simms will be too expensive but will out last the cheaper boots.
FishHawk
Old 06-28-2001, 02:59 AM
bill

IMHO, the boots with thinner soles are very nice - i really enjoy being able to feel the ripples in the sand, and yes, even the stones, under my feet - makes me feel like i'm really in touch with where i am. I wouldn't recommend them for frequent jetty use, but i love my surfing boots for fishing the beach - very light and no zippers, they go on my bare feet for wet wading or when i'm using the dry suit.

Furthermore, you can swim really well in them - you might even make it back to shore without having to jettison your rod

Re: the Chotas that FishHawk mentioned, I was eyeing some of their zip up models in the store just the other day, for wearing with my stocking foots - i liked 'em, but i'd love to know if anyone has any experience with their particular zippers getting jambed by the sand - it can be a big pain.

bill
Old 06-28-2001, 07:13 AM

I also love the scuba booties and the swim factor is one of the reasons as mentioned in an earlier post but the problem is arch support for long walks. My foot gets fatigued if I need to walk over a mile on soft sand without structural support. I recall that the heavier, sturdier sole caused fatigue due to weight and increased drag on the sand in the past, but a compromise would be ideal based on recent death march observations.

I agree the zippers are the nemesis. The NRS zippers have yet to jam on me, but then again I got out of the habit of using them.

In other words, because I always buy the gusseted zippers I either use gaitors with the zippers un zipped under them or leave them zippered and use them as pullons.

The NRS Tread model pulls on and off my Simms goretex waders, in fact the boots stay on the stockings like boot foots and I don't bother pulling them out until the end of the trip when I rinse the salt out.

I am elated with this arrangement, the best of both worlds!

The high stretch neoprene of the NRS has eliminated the need for gaitors, I haven't used them in weeks so they stay in zipped up pullon mode thru a trip, most of the time in boot foot mode as well.

I hope the neoprene work boot model (that the Doogue's bought) lets me do the same thing - no gaitor, optional boot foot mode.

They also put a little velcro keeper to hold the zipper handle at the top, simple but what a difference.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.