Sea Habit Bucktail- Mack - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Striper (etc) Flies Tricks of the trade

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-28-2002, 09:48 PM
President of CAC

Sea Habit Bucktail- Mack

I think the Trey Combs Sea Habits are a great fly and looks perfect in the water... None of his patterns include a Mack so I took his tying style and did my own mack ...I hope these instructions will help you tie this type of bucktail. First I use a 3/0 hook..this one is the Mustad Signature..... Chartruese Thread, waxed nylon...... tye in a clump of white bucktail for the tail and cover with green pearl flashabou..all around over the bucktail... then tye in a large clump of white bucktail under for throut. . when you tye in the tail you can tye it down all the way to the hook eye... then tye in a clump of green pearl flashabou 3/4 of the way down the tail ..one clump on each side and then on top. then cover this flash with a light clump of white bucktail over both sides and top over the flash...so that the flash can be seen though when wet. Then tye in a longer clump of white bucktail on top. then a small clump of same flash at the throut ...cover again with small clump of bucktail...the fly now takes the basic shape of the fly... Then tye in a small shorter clump of silver green or silver flashabou on each side over the sparse bucktail.... Then tye in chartruese crystal flash on each side of the top layer bucktail... then a small clump of pale green bucktail over that ...these again should be about 3/4 or 1/2 down the fly. then the same type of application as the chartruese crystal flash, but use green crystal flash....now cover that with small clump of darker pale green bucktail... add green grizzly hackle to both sides ..BUT high over the top applications you just put on... The grizzly should be the back of the fly on top... then finish the material application with a clump of peacock herl on top.... Take a portion of corsair or mylar tubing and fit over the hook eye and tye down.... then put gold prismic eye and apply coating of 5 minute epoxy... and voila.... Now ..if you want do another but add white saddle hackle along both sides of the tail at the beginning ....two hackles on both sides and you have a Sea habit Deciever.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc00899.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	962  

Last edited by striblue; 10-28-2002 at 10:04 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2002, 09:58 PM
Fly chucker

Beautifully proportioned John! Forget how the fish will react....I think that I want to bite it!

Old 10-28-2002, 10:34 PM
President of CAC

This might give you a better view of the flash and colors:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dsc00901.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	964  
Old 10-28-2002, 10:38 PM
President of CAC

This is it when wet:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dsc00902.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	965  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.