rip trip what to bring? - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-25-2001, 08:33 PM

rip trip what to bring?

I will be going on my first rip trip and would love some suggestions on what to bring.
Thanks Larry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2001, 08:47 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Quote:
shadfreak (06-25-2001 09:33 p.m.):
I will be going on my first rip trip and would love some suggestions on what to bring.
Thanks Larry
GOOD QUESTION! Everyone who is confirmed will receive a complete information email in due time.

But... to answer your question:

Basically the same stuff you'd bring to fish Monomoy Island or any daytime striper fishery...

Sunblock, water, lunch, light layered clothing (long sleeve) over shorts and summer clothing.

Waders are only needed if the weather is lousy, but typically this is a great place to fish in shorts.

Hat w/ visor, sunglasses.

Sinking line, intermediate is fine for slack but sinking is important in any rip.

Bring flies that imitate sand eels, squid, baitfish, etc. Big flies work well but you need to consider the condition of your arm as well.

Rip Ryder runs this as a "you're on your own" kind of event. Be responsible and bring whatever you will need.

Camera is nice to have out there too. Many of us will have cell phones in case of emergency. A backpack is a nice way to carry your stuff around.

My approach is to pack as light as possible without leaving anything out.

Look for the email info when we're all decided on dates and details.
Old 06-25-2001, 08:58 PM

Don't forget your 16' aluminum extension ladder! (the one with the GPS, CG approved lights, and casting platform)...

And your VISA card because...at the RIP they don't take American Express!
Old 06-25-2001, 09:06 PM

There are limited sight fishing opportunities on the shoals to the north on the inside of the island within walking distance, but the only place where a ladder would be appropriate is on the real flats several miles to the north.

You'd best leave the ladder in the garage for this one, although I know you are just kidding. The real reason (I hope) is that you'll be too busy battling fish in the rip to worry about sight fishing!

Ooops I hope I haven't jinxed anything... ;-)
Old 06-25-2001, 10:45 PM
President of CAC

One item you might consider is a spare rod, in the unlikely event you break a tip or something... can't go back to the car to get your spare and it could spoil the day for you if it happened early.
Old 06-26-2001, 07:18 AM

Or just use one of John's.....

I'l have a spare rod, 8 weight DB Backwater that's stiff enought ot replacea 9 for anyone who needs it.

Roop
Old 06-26-2001, 07:23 AM

That's for the advice. I can't wait. Now I will have to figure out how to get to sleep the night before. The anticipation just keys me up. I might have to go to the cape early and fish the evening before to take the edge off.
Larry
Old 06-26-2001, 08:32 AM
President of CAC

Yes Roop, I will bring one anyway.. Larry, not a bad Idea to get there the night before.
Old 06-26-2001, 08:44 AM

From what I understand, this is no "death march"...How much hiking is involved and would a small cooler be in order?

I don't want to be the one "VOTED OFF THE ISLAND?"
Old 06-26-2001, 09:46 AM

Yes, a small cooler is handy. There is literally a mile on each side of the island for each person so there is plenty of room to roam, but being the sociable type we like to take breaks from the action, compare notes together, eat lunch, etc.

You can just leave the cooler in a convenient location and the only thing you need to worry about is those damn seagulls! ;-)

Old 06-26-2001, 09:55 AM
President of CAC

I would guess that it is about 1/2 mile from the drop off to the southern point. but the southern point covers alot of ground.. Plenty of room to check the different waters and depths.
Old 06-26-2001, 10:11 AM

I've had luck with three basic flies. In order of preference:

1. Squid - pink, then orange, then white

2. Deep sand eel pattern

3. Drifted crab

A couple of weeks ago the "Big Ugly" worked well on the cruising fish on the western part of the tip. The Big Ugly is basically a chart. & white clouser with some chart. grizzly on the sides.

Gregg
Old 06-26-2001, 10:34 AM

John -

Since the tides are all wrong in early August I might try to break your walking record from last year when we finally get out there. We've been informed that there were acres of bass in shallow water to the north, which is longer than a 1/2 mile walk but it could be worth it.

The actual point has it's downsides, it's reputation always attracts incompetent boaters trying to be fishermen. I'll never forget the bozos who, with the entire sound at their disposal, the flats to the north, and birds working out in the rips - would get envious of our success and try to fish wherever we would catch a schoolie. Talk about pathetic! Give me the boat, I'll find fish without harassing shore anglers. It seemed their own shame drove them away.

If it happens I'll take lots of photographs for examples of what NOT to do with a boat by posting them all over the internet! I'll even bring a video camera too, for mpegs with sound. }>

Last year we only had one shorebound idiot show up that I recall. Sometimes it only takes one. He was a bait guy who kept schoolies. One of us clavers lectured him on his mistake - and he let it go dead!

Oh well, you can never get away completely no matter how hard you try, BUT it doesn't get any better than an isolated uninhabited island refuge with a 15 mile boat ride from the nearest dock. In the scope of things, it's probably as far from the usual crap as we can get.

Can't wait!!!

BTW - since the dates are out there a bit, maybe we should have another clave in the interim? ;-)
Old 06-26-2001, 10:54 AM
President of CAC

yes.. the half mile is just to point but the whole point is about 2 miles. Roop and I headed off last year way around and had our best part of the day there. I was thinking of central headquarters.. somewhere inbetween.
Old 06-26-2001, 11:01 AM
President of CAC

Juro, your too civil... post names.. truth is a defence. Boat serial numbers should work too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.