Sportsmen Can Make A Differance - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-24-2002, 11:53 PM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
Sportsmen Can Make A Differance

You may have all heard about the closures that were inacted on certain rivers on the Olympic Peninsula to protect wild adult Fall Chinook that were just 'tide-washing'-as they were unable to migrate upstream due to the historically low levels.

Amongst these closures, the Quillayute was closed to all fishing (the Sol Duc and Hoh remained open but were closed to the rentention of kings) and the majority of the guides, instead of fishing over stressed fish, have cancelled all their trips until the water arrives. They have a strong desire to conserve the fisheries...

On the other hand, the Quillayute tribe contined to net the Quillayute at their standard rate (the Hoh's cut back though) and stories of them corraling stranded and confused fish into their nets with their jetboats spread.

To let the public understand that sportsmen care and to protest this slaughter a fish-in was organized and the media was alerted. Just to note....I have no problem, in general, with native netting as they are given that right by a Federal Ruling that deciphered the cloudy treaties of the 19th Century.

It seems that these sportsmen and conservationists made a differnance and the exact effects of todays protest is still up in the air...but their will be effects.

To view the full story, select:

Quillayute River Fish-In

Last edited by NrthFrk16; 10-24-2002 at 11:56 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2002, 10:14 AM
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club

Thumbs up

I commend all in their efforts to bring attention to what I see as illegal or at the very least irresponsible native fishing.

I am curious though, if the OP guides actually came together for this protest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.