Elementary stuff ?? - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-25-2001, 10:07 AM
Recent Member

Elementary stuff ??

I'm a newby to wade fishing the monomoy/South beach flats. Would any of you with experience there mind giving me some input as to the feasibility of fishing the various tides there?I fished the flood last week and saw a lot of fish, and i'm anxious to go back again soon. Is it worthwhile to fish the bottom of the tide, or should I wait till next week?
Any info will be appreciated.
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2001, 10:45 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

You can find great information on Randy Jones' site http://www.yankeeangler.com for one thing, also there are quite a few here who can share some knowledge with you.

Without giving away any specifics, I can tell you that there are good spots to fish - even at dead low. Capt.Todd Murphy showed us that beyond a doubt recently, as Bill Stanton will attest.

Anyway, to answer your question - various tides...

Absolutely! The fish just act differently. Sight fishing is best on the flood most of the time because they are reacting to the push of water onto the flats and go up onto the flats with it, so in effect the fish come to you.

On the ebb, the fish will move again but are either going in the opposite direction or stopping and setting up in ambush points and letting the water bring food right to them. Blind casting is more productive on the ebb for me anyway. They typically travel further from shore too, although finding where they cut over a flat is the key. This usually has more to do with the overall lay of the land than the flat itself.

At slack high they are roaming the extremes of their reach and can be hard to locate. If you do find them slack high can be good but the thing is they can be anywhere and the bait can swim away from gamefish without the handicap of the current holding them captive. No tide is bad if you're catching fish though.

Slack low is better than slack high for me because there is less water and the fish are going to be easier to figure out. When there is a mile of sand and a deep trench of water with good current flow thru the tides, there's probably gonna be some fish stuck in it. Some spots never stop flowing at slack low because the spill is trying to catch up to the tide like a dam at a reservoir. In fact the current doesn't turn around until way after the turn of the tide in such spots even though it's rising.

That's about all I'll say here, if you want to join us when a couple of us get together to fish the flats let one of us know.
We usually fish it in small groups and split into twos and threes and often book the whole boat so we are the only ones out there for hours. Once word gets around on all the report-based websites the hordes will appear so we'll keep the specifics to a minimum here.

Please feel welcome to fish with us though, you'll get the lowdown that we don't publicize on the web out there on the water. Most of us in the Forum share openly with those who show up (in fact people are downright generous) but we like to keep the details off the internet.

Hope to fish with you soon,

Juro
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2001, 01:23 PM
Recent Member

Juro,
Thanx for the info.It's just the type of useful info I was hoping for.Now I'll enthusiatically head down there tomorrow or wednesday.
Thanks also for the invite. I'll take you up on that.I'm retired and am available to go fishing just about anytime.Whenever your group needs another person to fill out a group, please let me know. I'll be happy to go along and pick up a few more pointers AND an enjoyable experience.
Thanks again,
Reno
Old 06-25-2001, 01:33 PM
President of CAC

Welcome Reno.. I am not retired but wish I was... I am down in Chatham for 5 weeks during the Summer.. not consecutively and would glad to show you around both South beach and North Monomoy. I usually start out at about 4 with an occasional all nighter. Let me know if you want. John
Old 06-25-2001, 02:01 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Tomorrow and Wed, eh? Hard running tides in the afternoon with high sun - should be good. I need to save my vacation days but boy would I love to fish in sunlight for a change! Last few weekends have been tough.

Good luck!
Old 06-25-2001, 06:23 PM
Recent Member

Striblue,
Thanks for the warm welcome & the invite. I plan to go down there either tomorrow or Wednesday. If you're going out either day, let me know and I'll arrange to meet you.Come to think of it, I could also go on Thursday.
In any event, if I dont hear from you I guess I'll go on thursday and fish under the sun in the fast moving water that Juro mentioned.
Kind regards,
Reno
Old 06-25-2001, 07:46 PM
President of CAC

I will not be down the Cape until next Monday ,then for the week.. I am sure we will make plans for some other time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.