Who ever heard of a Joisey Mini-Clave? - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-23-2002, 05:46 PM
deeply obsessed fly-guy

Talking Who ever heard of a Joisey Mini-Clave?

Well, it had to happen sooner or later.

We few...we happy few...the fly fishing fanatics and flatwing devotees of the Garden State (no snickering, please) are in the talking/thinking/wishing phase of setting up a Mini-clave type of get-together for November at Sandy Hook, NJ.

Any interest from you bretheren to the North?

Could be some great fishing in some interesting and historic locations ...and not too many Soprano jokes.

Best regards,

-Doc
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2002, 06:56 PM

Cool, I grew up in Northern NJ, gone 23 years but have great memories of fly fishing in NJ and NYS mostly.

Good luck hope it goes off well for you.

Will be back their soon (not sure really when) to see family and try some spey in the NJ surf myself.

P.S. I am a Sopranos addict the scenes brings back many memories of when I was growing up back there. Tony's house in North Caldwell must be close to one of my ex girl friends house. Actually I can almost visualize what section of Caldwell it is in. I grew up in Teaneck.

Last edited by pmflyfisher; 10-23-2002 at 06:59 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2002, 07:33 PM

I've been considering a NJ trip for awhile now. Despite its Bum Rap, the Garden State has many beautiful natural areas and the state is fairly serious about protecting them. I've read alot about the great fishing down there as well.
The problem for me is the proximity to the Holidays and the closely related financial issues. Once the New England salt season ends, I anticipate lots of OT at work, meaning no weekends.
How 'bout a spring trip? Could be a good way for us to push our season once the ice melts.
Old 10-24-2002, 08:01 AM
Flats Rat

Thumbs up

Doc

Joizey has been on my must do list for too long and I was planning on extending the surf season down there this year so put me down as a yes!
Old 10-24-2002, 08:52 AM

North Jersey

I just got back this weekend from fishing in Wildwood,NJ. Sandy Hook is not all that far from here. About 4-4 1/2 hours drive. THe best part of the season down there is coming up next month. I am in all the way
Old 10-24-2002, 09:04 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Very tempting... I have a big trip in Nov but depending on what time of month it could be a good closer to the season.

Hmmmm.... Almost 20 years ago I arranged a major roadtrip clave to Pulaski where we chipped in and rented a 15 passenger Ram van. It was a blast!

Any interest in a car pool? It would limit our mobility down there, but then again we could organize our pickups and drop offs pretty well. Just a thought.
Old 10-24-2002, 09:08 AM

Thumbs up Joizey

I'm up for Joizey! The Hook ( not sure if I you can walk out there anymore though ) Island Beach... oh the possibilities.

Quick story:

Two years ago I was invited for a mini clave at Sandy Hook. The wind was 35mp from the north sustained! We noticed a flock of gulls about a mile off shore and my buddy said to me " Must be a ton of blues out under those birds." We fished and watched the birds for a half hour and not even a sniff. I walked to the very tip ( not the false tip ) and watched and wished for the school to come close. Not but ten minutes after that thought I saw one lone gull flying directly towards my location within the next few minutes the rest of that flock was 5 feet in front me. The noise was deafening!!! Squeeling and Squaking and then just as if the good lord heard my prayers the water errupted to the likes I never saw ( and still never encountered a blitz that big )! No blues but all Stripes!! The school hugged the beach close to a quarter mile in each direction. I never caught som many BIG stripers in my life. The blitz lasted 3 hours and every brave soul that wethered the wind and blowing sand hooked up. My friend landed 2 fish on one rig! One fish on a teaser and the other on a yellow and white swimming plug! When all was said and done I landed close to 20 fish and my buddies all clocked in with about the same counts. The fish averaged 15lbs! I never witnessed anything like that before! That day will be in my memory forever.
Old 10-24-2002, 10:28 AM

IBSP the place I always go to when I am back there, my parents are retired 30 minutes from there. Been two years since I have been there but it has not changed, thank god since I first set foot there 30+ years ago !! Fly fished in the surf there in 1982 all by myself one day. That sunrise over the Atlantic is awesome.
Old 10-24-2002, 11:07 AM

I would love to try the Jersey Shores!

Depending on the dates and my work Schedule, I may be in!
Old 10-24-2002, 11:11 AM
deeply obsessed fly-guy

Talking The First Annual Joisey Mini-Clave

Well, this has taken on a life of its own!

I'm delighted to see such a strong response here, as well as on Kenny A.;s board. This could be very interesting.

OK, let's look at dates. The crowds of non-fishers are gone, so it's just us and the locals. I suggest we target Sandy Hook and its many opportunities, with the option of ranging Southwards as conditions dictate.

As for dates, I suggest either the weekend of 11/2-3 or 11/9-10. An interesting alternative would be to combine this with the International Fly Tying Symposium which is less than 1 hour by car from the Hook, and runs the weekend of 11/23-24. Any thoughts?

Best regards,

-Doc

Old 10-24-2002, 02:07 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

The Symposium for me! Even if the clave happens earlier I will be on the 23-24 crew. How's the weather / temps then?
Old 10-24-2002, 02:16 PM

Love THE SHORE. Spent every summer in Avalon/Sea Isle City on family vacations up until a couple of years ago. Tons of sandy white beach and no snooty cape 'tudes :hehe:

I am in search of steel Nov 4-10 but wanted to keep an eye on this thread. Good luck to those who attend!

BigDave
Old 10-24-2002, 02:46 PM

Jersey can be warm right up until January, man do I miss those warm winters now being in the windy city area, 23 years

But what the heck we fly fish for steelhead and most everything else 365 days a year. I learned winter fly fishing techniques here not on the east coast for sure.
Old 10-24-2002, 03:39 PM
deeply obsessed fly-guy

Joisey-Clave I

Agreed...weather can be warm through December...or cold and wet starting in September. You never know 'till you stick your head outside around here.

A good Nor'easter at the right time could make for a legendary event...the wrong time and it's the Drip Trip South.

We MUST get the members who will be at the Symposium together, regardless of 'Clave date. I will try to set something up for that...maybe dinner at a local eatery? Please advise.

Best regards,

-Doc
Old 10-25-2002, 06:56 PM
Pencil me in.....

Could be in!

I am due to fly to DC for the 12th....I could leave early and Amtrak with my gear!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.