CCA one fly/one lure - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-25-2001, 08:45 AM

CCA one fly/one lure

What a mess, I got up at 4am, headed to the canal to cast a bucktail jig, not my favorite type of fishing, but a friend called me Wednesday nite and convinced me to join in the tournament, and meet him at the canal. OK, so I get there and he's a noshow, no one to verify my catch, two small stripers. Not in the greatest mood, I decide to head over to Old Sandwich Harbor, picked up a couple of schoolies,( on the fly not entered into the tournament), and then, with an intermediate line and a small unweighted sand eel, snap goes the rod, broke at the ferrule, on the presentation cast, I think, maybe on the back cast but it was such a surprise it caught me off guard. Well, I'm at the BBQ after the tournament and several guys say the same thing has happened to them, Diamondbacks seem to snap quite readilly. Now I gotta hear it from Smitty about why diden't listen to him and buy the Sage,oh man!
Back to the tournament, I'm asked what I caught?, nothing really, just a couple of schoolies, and no one to verify.
I took first place in the shore div. for largest and also for most caught. I was the only shore angler. What a day!
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2001, 10:03 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Now THAT is a wild fishing day if I ever heard one! I hope Diamondback's warranty will come thru for you.

Question on the squeteague... did it have large spots on the back half?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2001, 05:53 PM

Hey Brian,
I briefly met you at the BBQ, did not put it together who you were until now. Bummer about your rod...lifetime guaranty though. I htink last year BOb Parsons won the spin fish award as the only spin fisherman as well! I did not get a chance to stick around and see what the other winning fish were, but it seemed like a pretty slow day all in all--even slower for me who had engine trouble and missed the good foggy part of the morning.

Water clarity went way down in the Harbor with the wind, rain and extreme tide.
Old 06-25-2001, 07:36 PM
Flats Rat

Nice Job Brian!

If its any consolation, I've broken 4 Loomis GLXs in as many years - but I just luv em!
Old 06-26-2001, 09:14 AM

Juro,
No large spots, just a chrome looking body with a purple tint and not really spots but like a crackle black pattern from about halfway up the body up across the back.

Jeff, It was great to meet you at the Driftway the other day, and thanks for the offer of the home brew, but in the mood I was in, I might not have known where to stop, next time I'll take you up on one.

Adrian, Thanks, my first broken rod, well, it goes on the list with all the other firsts this year, kinda makes me wonder about what my first rip trip has in store for me, Yeehaa!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.