hard tails+no basket=lost fish - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-21-2002, 04:22 PM
believer in the 10 oz.

hard tails+no basket=lost fish

Finally lucked out and got into some action in the tunoid department. After getting out of class this morning I decided to fish the mouth of the Nessequogue(sp?) River on Long Island. If all went as I anticipated the ebb tide would coincide with the time of my arrival. Well as usual, things did not go exactly as planned. I had to wait an hour and a half or so before the tide began to ebb. Once the tide turned, the albies began to sporadically show themselves on the surface as they crashed bait. On my first cast I hooked my first ever false albacore on a fly.(I know now why these speedsters recieve all the hype.) This encounter unfortunately did not last as long as I would have hoped. Due to the lack of a stripping basket and a huge clump of salt marsh hay, my first tunoid experience resulted in a break off of epic porportions(At least when seen through my eyes.) and a subsequent verbal expression of similar magnitude and scope! Over the next twenty to thirty minutes(They did not hang around for very long.) I managed to lose two other hard tails for reasons unknown, although I have a suspicion it might have been due to a hook point that was not exactly sharp.

All in all it was a pretty cool experience. I had never had an opportunity to target these fish and I really did not know what to expect. It is a shame these guys do not hang around my home waters of the Chspke Bay more often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2002, 04:34 PM
BB5 Survivor

I lost my first albie too..but will never forget the adrenaline rush of that fish. Was wading and nearly spooled so I clamped down on the drag too much and popped him off!! ...no worries...you'll get one.

(heads up boys...we might have another customer for tuna-chaser's anonymous)

-j
Old 10-21-2002, 07:41 PM

Oh oh, another convert!
Look on the bright side, if you live on Chspk bay, you're more than halfway to Cape Lookout. Hard core New Englanders drive 700 - 800 miles to chase those albies!
Old 10-22-2002, 04:49 AM

Talking

fishboyicu812 ,were you in a boat or from shore? I have friends that live close to this river. The locals are as tight lipped as Monomoy Stripers about giving up info on the area. Now I know why. I too am a Albie convert. Lost one with Striper on his boat. This memory will help me make it through the winter.
Fishhawk
Old 10-22-2002, 08:12 AM

Fishyboy,

That's cool that you hooked up 3 from shore so quickly. In my limited experience I have learned that clearing your line is half the battle with those things. Still must have been cool getting into them from the shore.

Next time tuck your cap into your wading belt and use that as a stripping basket...an old Lefty Kreh trick.

Just be prepared to lose your hat if it gets caught up

You hittin' em this weekend?

Dave
Old 10-22-2002, 06:08 PM
believer in the 10 oz.

To be completely honest I think that I simply lucked out on this one. The spot that I chose was the only real spot from shore that offered a shot at these fish.(It just looked good to me which does not mean much seeing that this was really one of my first attempts at fishing the surf!) They simply showed up and miraculously I managed to get off a few decent shots at these fast movers.

The area seems to be a great location. Large, productive, tidal river that dumps into the sound. There are numerous rips and eddies which form on both the incoming and ebb tides. I also here that the river is a great spot to catch rockfish(stripers) although I have only caught one and that was WAY up the river in the trout area.

I went out this afternoon and again caught the first few hours of the ebb very similar to yesterday...The only difference...no albies. The only real noticable difference was the increase amount of boat traffic. I guess I can always use the casting practice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.