10/20 Cool time at Napatree/Watch Hill - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-21-2002, 09:21 AM
_

Thumbs up 10/20 Cool time at Napatree/Watch Hill

. . . because I forgot my waders . Luckily, the fishing was pretty cool too!

Just after I got on the Mass Pike I realized that I had forgotten my waders and wading boots. I considered going back for them, but it would have delayed my arrival time by almost two hours. I decided that I'd just fish the jetties and I'd be ok. Well, there were no fish to be found at Weekapaug, Quonnie or Charlestown so I headed to Watch Hill and planned to fish from the rocks behind the cabanas.

As soon as I reached the top of the dune I saw loads of birds working the surf. I chased them down the beach and plunged into the water in my jeans and sneakers to try to get a cast, but they were moving fast and I couldn't keep up. Then I started seeing fish breaking along the shore. I spent the next hour running up and down the beach in my soggy jeans, but the fish always seemed to move away before I got to them. I finally hooked up with a small blue, which promptly took my fly. I was kind of bummed since I was soaked to the waist and hadn't caught any fish. There were albies, blues and stripers running along the beach and I just could not get anything. I finally made my way down to a group of flycasters who were hooking up repeatedly, even though the fish weren't showing any more. I soon hooked into another small blue and had a couple more brief hook-ups and LDRs before the action stopped.

Cold and hungry, I headed back towards the car. When I got near the jetty I could see boats in close along the beach between the jetty and the lighthouse, and fish were breaking close to shore. I was already soaked so I decided I might as well give it a shot. I hooked up immediately and was bitten off by a blue. Then, for the next hour and a half I had steady action with stripers and a couple more hits from blues. Most of the stripers were small but a couple were in the high 20s. At around 4:00 the action moved back over along Napatree Beach, but I really needed to change into some dry clothes and get some food so I called it quits for the day. Aside from the snafu with the waders it was my best day of fishing since June.

Q
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2002, 09:41 AM
BB5 Survivor

Q,

what time were you there? We were off the Watch Hill beach for a little while in the early afternoon...had to bail around 2:30...

-j
Old 10-21-2002, 09:51 AM
_

I was on Napatree Beach from about noon until 2:00, then on the beach behind the cabanas (is that Watch Hill beach?) from about 2:00 to 4:00. I was the guy with the soaking wet blue jeans.

Q
Old 10-21-2002, 10:20 AM
BB5 Survivor

Nope....we were around the corner past watch hill.....nevermind

-j

Last edited by jared; 10-21-2002 at 10:42 AM.
Old 10-21-2002, 12:24 PM

Way to go Q. I needed a report like that. I'm going to try to get down there this weekend. Possible yak attack How's the water temp?
Old 10-21-2002, 01:08 PM
_

Quote:
Originally posted by JimW
Way to go Q. I needed a report like that. I'm going to try to get down there this weekend. Possible yak attack How's the water temp?
Surprisingly warm. I didn't really get too cold until late afternoon. Of course, the cold doesn't seem to bother me quite as much when I'm catching fish :hehe:

Q
Old 10-21-2002, 01:25 PM
BB5 Survivor

was 61 degs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.