Idaho...Idunno. - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-21-2002, 07:47 AM
Spark's Bobber Brigade

Idaho...Idunno.

Since I am now self-exiled to Northern Utah my steelheading seems destined to be limited to the Idaho runs. I fished around Stanley in the spring about 12 years ago but that is the extent of my Idaho steelie experience. I'd like to shoot north for a few days and see if I'm any better a dozen years later (well. I know the answer about being "better" in several of life's venues, but those reviews are pretty much sub-par)...lets say more effective at steelheading in Id.

Where to go this time of year, what turns them on in your experiences. I'm having anadromous fish withdrawls right now and could use some help on obtaining a cure. Thanks! C&D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2002, 08:58 AM

When we went to Silver Creek last August, the creek was not fishing well so we went over to Macky to fish the Big Lost. A guy at the shop there said the steelhead runs in the Salmon were the best in years - guess that includes the Clearwater? He indicated October lower in ther river system and up to March higher up
Old 10-21-2002, 09:10 AM
Spark's Bobber Brigade

How'd the Big Lost fish? Used to fish it in the mid eighties early nineties...
Old 10-21-2002, 11:13 AM

I have been fortunate to fish the Lost every spring and fall. My best friends I have been fishing with for over 20 years live in Ketchum and own cabins on the Lost above Mackey below the dam in the prime section. They are amongst the private properties you were referring. I have fished the whole length of the river both above and below the reservoir and that's about all I'm going to write.

Many steelhead in the Snake and whatever wanderers there are in the Clearwater, Grande Ronde, Columbia, Deschutes end up in the Salmon up at Stanley in the spring in very large numbers. Forget your spey rod. It's not a swinging fly affair. One walks the bank at low, clear water until you locate a fish laying next to the bank, then you drift a small weighted nymph into it's jaws. The tough part is timing it so it's mouth is open when your nymph arrives. Guys catch fish in the numbering in the teens that weigh in the teens.

When the fish get to Stanley, they look more like rainbow trout and less like what their name, "steelhead" implies.

Leland.
Old 10-21-2002, 11:15 AM

Oh, one more thing on the Stanley steelhead. Last year, I believe the kill limit was raised to seven fish per day. Greg at the Bent Rod or anybody at Silver Creek Outfitters would know better than me.

Uggh,
Leland.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.