Fly Fishing in the Mountains - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

View Poll Results: What is your favorite fly?
Nymph 4 33.33%
Dry Fly 8 66.67%
*Streamer* 0 0%
Wet Fly 0 0%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-19-2002, 01:35 PM
Recent Member

Fly Fishing in the Mountains

hey you guyes have you ever fished in the mountains? I love it its really great... please reply...
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2002, 08:18 PM

Tough question because my favorite to fish is a dry, while the most successfull is a wet or streamer.
Old 10-20-2002, 08:28 PM
Fly chucker

I used to LOVE the dry fly, but I found that I caught more and bigger fish by nymphing deeper pockets and holes. Therefore, the nymph has become number one for me over the past decade or so.
Old 10-20-2002, 08:38 PM

Nymphs. I also used to think that the dry was more fun, but now I find nymphing is just as fun, and usually more effective. I like the constant mending and fine-tuning of the drift that nymphs require. The high-mountain pocket water is a great challenge with weighted nymphs.
Old 10-20-2002, 11:36 PM

Just what do you call mountains over on the East coast. I was under the impression that those hills were the foot hills of the Rockies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2002, 12:48 AM

Stuff gets fairly devoid of catchable anything much above 2000 feet right around here. One lake I can think of nearby would except that, and it's been helistocked.

Some spots I really like are just south of the Alaska Range where 3000 ft is still productive, but it's more of a high plain of subarctic tundra than in the mountains. Dries are best up there; y' gotta go outta your way up here to throw dries sometimes, away from all the leadchuckin freezer fishermen and actually target grayling in order to do it, since the bows are all hanging around gutting tables eating steaks. One trip I take each fall with varying degrees of storming off into the thicket is pretty well off highway and the only place I've had fall rainbows not prefer flesh. The quick version this year due to time and seasonal constraints bagged me 18 grayling only one less than as many inches - all in 40 yards of pool, all dry. Sadly, due to time constraints, the best trout are way up the bear trails...but any day like that on dries.

:eyecrazy: Y'know, now, when it boils right down to it, I really like throwing meat patterns, too. It's got as much of a "match-the-hatch" degree of oneness with the riparian cycle, and I shored a hogdaddy Dolly yesterday on a flesh pattern just like that yesterday.
<font face="verdana,arial,helvetica" size="1" color="#3B5280">will flyfish for food</font>
Old 10-22-2002, 12:21 PM

The Chattahoochee

Caddis.

I live in Boston now, but I lived in Alpharetta for 7 years.

The best two weeks of fly fishing is that Caddis hatch on the hooch in the spring.

I usually go down for it in the end of April early May, but I missed it last year. First one I missed in about 8 years.

I love that river!

It's the only place where I have caught two fish at the same time using a dropper.
Old 10-22-2002, 04:58 PM
Recent Member

hey... yeah... Alphereta... love the hooch too... yeah the caddis hatch is great... heading up there Saturday for the weekend w/ my dad!

my e-mail is caddisfly08@yahoo.com

www.joshbarnett.dot.nu
Old 10-22-2002, 06:19 PM

Nymphs rule although I did dry fly fish for trout this year and it brought back great memories, got to do more of it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.