R. H. Brown - Fishing Ethics - 1960 - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-19-2002, 08:21 AM

R. H. Brown - Fishing Ethics - 1960

FYI

Roderick Haig Brown wrote at least three short articles on fishing ethics in the early 1960s and travelled through the PNW discussing outdoor conservation and angler ethics.

In his book "The Master and His Fish" there are three short articles dated as follows:

Ethics and Conservation

Articles of Good Faith For Anglers - 1960

Outdoor Ethics - 1964

A Talk To Oregon Fly Fisherman - 1961

Excellent articles now 40 years old and we can see where we are today!

Here is one quote:

" I think this is the way in which the ethics of any sport or activity must be worked out - on a personal level at first. and later, if necessary, a general basis. The ethical standards of out door activities, I have no possible doubt; thatt laymen must play the major part in this, and professionals must listen and understand, I am equally certain. If use of the outdoors the woods, fields, the lakes, and the streams, is to continue a hamonious, productive, and satisyfing activity for increasing numbers of people, were all going to have to behave much better than we do today. We will need increasing consideration for others and lively spirit of generosity in all other doings.

Public ownership of the outdoor resources is a tremendous co-operative experiment. We shall always have to fight to keep it that way. A strong code of outdoor ethics, well considered, faithfully observed to the point at which it becomes a tradition, will be no small part of the outdoor heritage that we can bequeath to our successors". R.H. Brown - 1964

I am sure Mr. Brown would be very disappointed if he knew the current state of our outdoor resources and ethics.

If there is one deceased famous fly fisherman I would want to fly fish with and then have a few days to talk with I think it would be Mr. R. H. Brown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2002, 11:03 AM
President of CAC

PM..Good post...with all this stuff on the other threads on Ethics I think it is not complex issue... in a society that is overly litigious and seeks to place responsibility on everyone else...I think ethics is what you learned at home and at the playground....there was fair and not fair , and that's about it..... If you did not learn this stuff earlier you not going to get it now. There was a thing called consideration....there was a thing called being nice....there was a thing called concern.... It's sort of like you know it when you see it.
Old 10-19-2002, 07:06 PM

Theodore Rooselvelt - Conservation

John, agree unfortunatley I have met some so called educated people which act like fools when on the river thinking they are above others. Thank god they are not tough enough for the cold weather steelhead fishing we do out here in the 20 and 30 degree ranges.

Quote from our conservation president almost a 100 years ago !!

Theodore Roosevelt quote:

"In utilizing and conserving the natural resources of the Nation, the one characteristic more essential than any other is foresight.... The conservation of our natural resources and their proper use constitute the fundamental problem which underlies almost every other problem of our national life."

Address to the National Editorial Association,
Jamestown, Virginia, June 10, 1907.
Old 12-15-2002, 04:39 PM

fyi

Looks new, was to this site within the last month or two and this was not posted.

These look complete and I accept them, although I won't be able to make comments about "Indi" fly fisherman any more, so shall it be.

http://www.fedflyfishers.org/codeofethics.htm#top

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.