RI fishing 10/18/02 - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-18-2002, 04:13 PM

Thumbs up RI fishing 10/18/02

:eyecrazy: Went this morning with Tim St on my son's boat. We fished from Watch Hill Beach, off Napatree, Watch Hill and Sugar Reef. It was a cool day, but fish were around, at daybreak Watch Hill had Blues, and False Albacore, had a bluefish cutoff on my first cast. False Albacore were running around early off Watch Hill Beach, but stayed at least 1/2 mile offshore. The wind mostly was from the Northwest, and there was some chop. The water was fairly clean, not to much mung. Tim did well as he caught a few false albacore, had a few other good hits. I caught false albacore, and a couple of bluefish had several cutoffs besides. False albacore are still around in numbers, but after about nine they seem to scatter, and the pods got smaller. It was kind of hang around certain areas they would show up again. I even caught a false albacore on Sugar Reef, on my easy squid pattern. That was a first. Good luck this weekend. We didn't get up to even Misquamicut Beach. From what I could see there wasn't much action close to shore. The exception being Napatree near the wall, saw two boats hanging around there. Here is a picture, I hope of Tim today., a very good flyfisher.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tims.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	939  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2002, 05:34 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Awesome report and picture! Great stuff from South County.
Old 10-18-2002, 08:06 PM

Thumbs up

Art is only telling half the story--he did a fine job instilling the values of decency and generosity in his son, and that's what brought about today's great day.

The story is that I had to bail from a charter I set up with Capt Art's (Art Burton's son) Makobound Charters due to a death in the family. My group from work went and had a great time; I didn't.

Capt Art gave me a call a few weeks ago saying how disappointed he was that I didn't get to go out with my buddies, so he offered to take me out with him and his father--no charge, no strings. Every time we tried going out, the weather wouldn't let us, but Capt Art repeatedly reassured me that we'd get out there. I felt bad that he was going through all this trouble just to get me out, but he was persistent.

Though the Burton family probably doesn't realize it, today was one of the best days of fishing I've ever had. The fact that Capt Art was determined to get me out there no matter what, and the selflessness in devoting a precious off-day to a non-paying trip speaks volumes of his character.

It didn't hurt that we were catching albies in the middle of October either

Thanks guys!
Old 10-19-2002, 09:08 AM
_

Wow! Sounds like a great trip! Hope the fish move a little closer to shore this weekend.

Since there are still albies around, does that mean that there may also be a chance of seeing some bonito come through as the albies head south?

Q
Old 10-19-2002, 07:42 PM

Art, Great report. I had hoped to make it down to RI Sunday but it's looking like a quick trip to B-bay and Falmouth is all I can squeeze in. Good luck to those that make the trip, wish I was going.
Old 10-19-2002, 08:04 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
...What a Family!...

Art...
Great report and some dandy Human Relations 101!
'Sounds like the Captain is a "chip off the olde block"...
Well done and thanks for sharing the day!
Old 10-19-2002, 08:20 PM
BB5 Survivor

hmmm...wonder where I'll start tomorrow morning...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.