landlocks - techniques - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-17-2002, 12:26 PM

landlocks - techniques

Hey there. I've been fishing for landlocked salmon the last couple of weeks up here in Vermont. I wonder if you guys have any insights. I typically use nymphs and do pretty well, but not always. Most people I see are using streamers. I have heard conflicting theories about whether these fish are actually feeding at this time of year. Regardless, they are a blast to catch. Any particular methods that you find work or don't work? Flies, lines, weights, retrieves, type of drifts, kinds of water to fish, etc?
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2002, 12:51 PM
Fly chucker

Dewey- Whenever I've caught landlocks, it's been in waters that have also held good numbers of brookies. I've come to find that any flies that work for brookies are readily taken by the salmon as well, including various nymphs, dries, and streamers.

I concentrate on the heads and tails of pools that have rock or gravel bottoms. When the water is high, fish will be in the deep runs and all the way out to the banks. Streamers and big nymphs work well in this situation. When the water is normal or low, look for any subtle change in bottom contour or obstruction that might be a salmon lie. They share the same lies as trout.

Unless I'm using dries, I always cast a sink tip line. And I only use dries when the water is normal or low. I don't even bother with them in high water unless an obvious hatch is coming off.

It's been a few years, but your post brought back some great memories. Good luck.
Old 10-20-2002, 07:45 PM

Mark,
Thanks for your reply. I fish for them like I do trout, too. It usually works out pretty well. In the fall, when I'm fishing for lake-run, mature fish in spawning mode, they get to be pretty finnicky.
How do you like fishing nymphs with a sink-tip? What is the technique? I have always fished nymphs with a floater and a bit of shot. good luck
Old 10-21-2002, 09:39 AM
Fly chucker

I use a loop to loop system for my leader and fly line connection. One of the loops is a short section of red Amnesia, and I use this as an indicator as the nymph drifts. The Amnesia shows very well, even when several feet down in the water. By keeping my leader relatively short, this method allows me to get my fly deep and still see a take very clearly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.